Spike Lords (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Earlier, the spike lords were a xorn-like race living in the earth elemental plane. But then, they decided to migrate over to the material plane after there was a giant xorn rebellion destroying all "false" xorns. Than included them, so the entire race found a planar portal and entered the material plane. At first, they couldn't adapt, and their weakness made them an easy target. Almost the entire race was slain, tortured, and assassinated mercilessly by almost every race. The small remainder fled up to Mount Falseflame, the uninhabited mountain in the north and started adapting safely. They lost many of their xorn-like qualities, and gained humanoid qualities. But then, their earth nature started showing when they started growing spikes on their arms, legs, and back. Just then, the first epic spike lord managed to successfully train the other spike lords for war.
The spike lords are unusually intelligent and strong, and can do anything complex successfully. But they are not good in influence, and neither is their common sense.
The spike lords are at least 8 feet tall, with a seemingly frail body, and pale gray skin. Their arms have spikes sprouting from the shoulder to the hands, and are facing the hands. Their eyes are always bright yellow, and their ears are elf-like. They have a fanged tongue and their mouth is a bit larger than a humanoids'. However, the most interesting thing that they have is a bed of very long spikes on their back which reaches up to the head and faces the head. Spike lords have horrified many with these spikes.
Spike lords are very uncaring and distrustful of most races, since when they migrated, they were attacked by almost every race. But if a spike lord trusts any other race, it starts having really good relations.
Spike lords are mainly chaotic neutral, although some vengeful spike lords are chaotic evil.
All the spike lords live deep in the mountains where there are no other races. They usually are found in the most unhospitable places on the plane.
The spike lords, typically have no religion. However, some worship nature gods, the remainder don't worship anyone.
A Spike lord knows Common and Terran. It can learn any bonus language.
Spike lords have no unique racial names. They just acquire them from other races. A spike lord has only one name for his life, and nothing else.
- +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +4 Intelligence, +2 Constitution, -4 Wisdom, -4 Charisma. A spike lord is toughened up through the ages of destruction it faced since it migrated, but it has poor judgement, and is not too charismatic.
- Outsider (Extraplanar, Earth)
- Medium: As medium creatures, Spike Lords gain no bonuses or penalties because of their size.
- A spike lord's base land speed is 40 feet
- Slash (Ex): The spike lord's spikes give him a powerful unarmed strike. All of his unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, and they deal damage equal to a Huge creature's strike.
- Spike Growth: A spike lord has a bed of unusually long spikes on his back. He starts out with 2d20 spikes, and each level, he gains 4d4 more. The spike lord has 10 spikes on each arm, only they are shorter.
- Back Spike Shot (Ex): A spike lord may shoot spikes from his back. He needs to take a full-round action freeing a spike from its muscle and flesh. Then he may roll at a target, adding his strength and dexterity bonus, shooting the spikes. The spikes deal 1d6 damage. A spike lord may fire more than one, but he needs to take more full-round actions freeing them, and when he shoots them, he takes a -1 penalty to hit per spike shot. The spikes take one day to regrow.
- Arm Spike Shot (Ex): A spike lord may fire spikes from his arms instead. They take a move action to free, and they gain a +4 bonus to hit. However, they deal only 1d4 damage, and only one may be shot from each arm per round. The spikes regrow at the same rate as the back spikes.
- Spike Armor (Ex): A Spike Lord Damages all enemies that make an action or move into or from a space adjacent to the spike lord, Dealing 2d6 damage
- Spike Bristle (Ex): A spike lord may bristle out his spikes as a move action. Any target who sees them makes a save roll with a DC of 15 + spike lord's level, or becomes shaken for 10 minutes.
- Earth Glide (Ex): A spike lord has the extraordinary ability Earth Glide, so that he can glide through the earth like a xorn. He however may move only at half his racial speed (no modifiers are applied at all times) and he can use his spike shot abilities as long as he is 10 ft below the ground at most.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Terran. Bonus Languages: Any
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|250 years||340 years||500 years||+ 5d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||8.3' feet"||+ 2d6 in||312 lb.||× (4d20) lb.|
|Female||8.3' feet"||+ 1d6 in||256 lb.||× (2d20) lb.|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races