Sorlock (5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
Why Use The Sorlock?
The Sorlock is an extremely powerful build, that involves spamming Eldritch Blast until you've defeated all the monsters.
A Sorlock is a combination of the SORcerer and the WarLOCK class. Generally the level division is Sorcerer-17 and Warlock-3, or what we'll be using in this build which is Sorcerer-18 and Warlock-2. The most obvious reason to combine these, is that they both share Charisma as their primary spell casting ability.
How many Warlock Levels?
That depends on what you're after:
- This immediately gets you a subclass, so its value depends on which Warlock subclass you take. If you're going to murder people with a weapon, this is enough Hexblade for both a charisma weapon and medium armor.
- Doubles your short rest spell slots, and unlocks invocations - probably Devil's Sight and Agonizing Blast, with Eldritch Mind and Repelling Blast as strong contenders.
- Doubles your slots again, this time to level 2. Also gets you a Pact Boon, which may be clutch - if you're still interested in weapon-murder, Pact of the Blade is now available, so you can bond with any magic weapon you find. Finally, one of your invocations can have a Pact prereq.
- An ASI and a cantrip. Both of your invocations can have a Pact prereq.
- Level 3 short rest slots, a third invocation, and two of your three invocations can have level 5 as a prereq.
Generally speaking, you shouldn't go past Warlock 5. 2, 3, and 5 are optimal if you want short rest spell slots to fuel your sorcery points, so 1 and 4 are the least interesting numbers of Warlock levels to take here.
Half-Elf which gives you the following bonuses:
Lineage: Drow (SCAG) CHA +2 2 Other Ability Scores +1 30 ft Darkvision Adv. on ST on Charm Magic can't put you to sleep Drow Magic 1 - Dancing Lights 3 - Faerie Fire 5 - Darkness Common Elvish +1 Lang. of your choice
Using the Point-Buy System Without Racial Modifiers
STR: 8 (-1) DEX: 13 (+1) CON: 15 (+2) INT: 8 (-1) WIS: 12 (+1) CHA: 15 (+2)
With Racial Modifiers
STR: 8 (-1) DEX: 14 (+2) CON: 16 (+3) INT: 8 (-1) WIS: 12 (+1) CHA: 17 (+3)
These 6 skills are the ones you want as a Sorlock, ranked from highest to least priority
1. Perception 2. Persuasion 3. Stealth 4. Deception 5. Intimidation 6. Investigation
Level by Level Summary
Sorcerer 4 -> Warlock 2 -> Sorcerer 14
Level 1 Sorcerer 1
Sorcerous Origin Shadow (Damage) Dragon (Survivability) Divine (Utility)
For this build we are going to use the Shadow subclass, which with the darkness combo is exceedingly powerful. However if what you want is more survivability and extra fire damage Dragon is the way to go. But for more general flexibility, as well as healing and support options Divine is the best.
Spells Cantrips + Mage Hand + Minor Illusion + Message + Firebolt Level 1 + Mage Armor + Sleep
Level 2 Sorcerer 2
Spells Level 1 + Absorb Elements
Level 3 Sorcerer 3
Metamagic Quickened Spell Twinned Spell - (does not work with eldritch blast only works with single target spells) Spells Level 2 + Invisibilty
Level 4 Sorcerer 4
Feat Elven Accuracy (XGE) +1 CHA (CHA: 18)
Spells Cantrips + Message Level 2 + Mirror Image
Level 5 Warlock 1
Otherworldly Patron Hexblade (XGE)
Spells Cantrips + Eldritch Blast + Friends Level 1 + Hex + Shield
Level 6 Warlock 2
Eldritch Invocation Repelling Blast Agonizing Blast Spells Level 1 + Armor Of Agathys
Level 7 Sorcerer 5
Spells Level 1 - Sleep Level 3 + Fireball + Haste
Level 8 Sorcerer 6
Spells + Hypnotic Pattern
Level 9 Sorcerer 7
Spells Level 1 - Mage Armor Level 3 + Counterspell Level 4 + Polymorph
Level 10 Sorcerer 8
ASI +2 CHA (CHA: 20) Spells Level 4 + Greater Invisibility
Level 11 Sorcerer 9
Spells Level 5 + Banishment
Level 12 Sorcerer 10
Metamagic Careful Spell Spells Cantrips + Mold Earth Level 3 + Blink
Level 13 Sorcerer 11
Spells Level 6 + Mass Suggestion
Level 14 Sorcerer 12
Feat Spell Sniper (Druid)
Cantrip "Thorn Whip"
Level 15 Sorcerer 13
Spells Level 7 + Reverse Gravity
Level 16 Sorcerer 14
Level 17 Sorcerer 15
Spells Level 5 + Telekinesis
Level 18 Sorcerer 16
Level 19 Sorcerer 17
Spells Level 9 + Wish
Level 20 Sorcerer 18