Songsword, Variant (5e Subclass)
From D&D Wiki
Bards, like wizards, obtain their magical prowess through study and practice. For a fighter to attend a bard's college is fairly unheard of, but not impossible. Learning to weave word, song and blade together to create magic, your power is akin to that of the College of Valor bard. Much like a Valor Bard, your presence inspires bravery and excellence within your brothers-in-arms.
|—Spell Slots per Spell Level—|
When you reach 3rd level, you augment your martial prowess with the ability to cast spells.
- Cantrips. You learn two cantrips of your choice from the bard spell list. You learn an additional Bard cantrip of your choice at 10th level.
- Spell Slots. The Songsword Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
- Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know three 1st-level bard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the enchantment and illusion spells on the bard spell list.
- The Spells Known column of the Songsword Spellcasting table shows when you learn more bard spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be an enchantment or illusion spell of your choice, and must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
- The spells you learn at 8th, 14th, and 20th level can come from any school of magic.
- The Spells Known column of the Songsword Spellcasting table shows when you learn more Bard spells of 1st level or higher.
- Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the Bard spells you know with another spell of your choice from the Bard spell list. Each of these spells must be an enchantment or illusion spell of your choice, and must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
- Spellcasting Ability. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your Bard spells, as your magic is the product of projecting your personality unto the world. You use your Charisma whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a Bard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
- Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
- Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
- Songsword's Inspiration
When you select this martial archetype at 3rd level, you learn to inspire your comrades with song and word. As a bonus action, you may select a friendly creature within 30 feet of you (yourself included) and grant them an inspiration die, provided that they can see and/or hear you. This inspiration die is a d4, and may be used once when applied to an ability check, attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw. The inspiration die may be rolled after seeing the value of your ability check, attack roll, damage roll, or saving throw, but before knowing the results of that roll. The inspiration die must be used before 10 minutes passes, or it is wasted.
The size of your inspiration die grows as you gain levels in this class, as shown on the Songsword Spellcasting table. The size of your Songsword Inspiration Die becomes a d6 starting at 9th level, and a d8 starting at 15th level.
You may use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier, regaining the ability to do so upon completion of a long rest.
- Warrior Poet
Also starting at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Charisma (Performance) checks and one musical instrument of your choice.
Starting at 10th level, you may apply twice your proficiency bonus rather than your normal proficiency to your Charisma (Performance) checks.
- Tempo of War
Starting at 7th level, you regain use of your Songsword's Inspiration upon completion of a long or short rest.
- Inspired Surge
Starting at 10th level, when you use your Action Surge, you grant yourself and every friendly creature within 15 feet of you a Songsword's Inspiration Die without expending a use of your Songsword's Inspiration.
- Lore Knight
Starting at 15th level, you learn two 1st level spells of your choice from any spellcasting class, and a single second level spell from any spellcasting class, not counting against your known spells. These spells do not need to be from the same class's spell list.
- The Hero's Song
Starting at 18th level, you may choose to use your Songsword's Inspiration to bring your allies back from the brink of death. When you expend a use of your Songsword's Inspiration, the chosen creature also regains hit points equal to your Fighter level. A creature may not regain hit points in this way again until they complete a long or short rest. Note that the Inspiration Die granted by your Inspired Surge feature does not gain this benefit.