Simiae (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Simiaes are a breed rarely brought up. They are not made through reproduction, they are bitten. A Simiae is a being who was bitten by either another Simiae or a girallon, granting them an enhancement in power, similar to an ape.
Simiaes act very similar to their human counterparts in the beginning. The only difference would be that Simiaes are more frequently in rural areas and tend to stick in groups. However, as time slowly passes, they begin to realize that they must eat something new. They must eat humans. A Simiae is similar to a vampire in this essence, they require the sustenance of human flesh and blood to stay alive.
The race is identical to their human counterparts, except they seem to be more physically built, born with an enhanced physical prowess.
By necessity, the Simiae is a social creature, one which maintains a friendly air with all those it encounters. This is often a falsehood. As time passes, the Simiae becomes less and less drawn to friendship and finally ends with just using socialism as a way to get meat. They rarely spawn more Simiae... an Simiae quickly learns that such things are only competition for food, not lifelong companions in arms. However, in the rare case they do, they merely bite the would be Simiae on the neck and chant "cum facti unius simiae".
Simiaes come in all types of moral bounds, but they tend to be more chaotic than not.
Simiaes almost all worship Obad-Hai.
- +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution
- Bonus feat at 1st level
- Simiae base land speed is 30 feet
- Simiae have darkvision out to 60 ft.
- Natural Weapons: Simiae have a slam attack which deals 1d6 + Str damage for medium creatures, and a secondary bite attack which deals 1d4 + 1/2 Str. However, it is through their bites which they feed. If the victim is either grappled or helpless, a successful bite deals an additional 1d4 points of Constitution damage. They also deal this damage if they make a successful critical hit with their bite attack. When an Simiae deals enough Constitution damage to equal 1/5 their current HD (minimum 1), they gain a blood point and stave off the hunger another day. Low-level Simiae find that they gain blood points easily, but the stronger ones find that they need much more merely to survive. For example, a 20 HD Simiae requires 4 Con damage per blood point. It is rumored that a Simiaes bite creates more Simiae, but this is not true. Only through a ritual, along with biting, can another Simiae be spawned.
- Alternate Form(Su): As a standard action, a Simiae may take the form of a ape, at will.
- Blood Pool(Ex): Simiae possess a blood pool (which by default begins at 10). The blood pool decreases by 1 point every day, and if it hits 0 points, you drop into hibernation. You can increase your blood pool by draining creatures of their blood with your bite attack (see above). Any creature with blood will suffice, but it will max out at 10 points. Only the blood of humanoids or monstrous humanoids allows you to exceed 10 points. You may fill your blood pool up to your HD + 15. Thus, at 1 HD, an Simiae can have a blood pool of 16, while at 20 HD, they can have a blood pool of up to 35, and the impressive hit points which come with such a thing. Effects which deal Constitution damage or drain through the act of draining blood (rather than by poison) will instead damage a Simiaes blood pool.
- Hibernation(Ex): In the event of failing to feed in time, a Simiae enters a state of deathly sleep. They remain in such a state, dreaming dark dreams, until a blood-bearing creature passes within 30 ft. of their prone body. At that point, they awaken, crazed, and attack until they lose their target (and fall in hibernation again after moving to a safe space) or manage to regain at least 1 blood point. They gain +4 strength and dexterity when in a craze, but can do nothing but attack, not even cast spells, use spell-like abilities, or recognize friend from foe. A Simiae can willingly hibernate (and thus lose no blood points from the passage of time) in the course of 1 minute, and wake as a full-round action. However, those who hibernate too long, especially not by choice, are said to go mad...
- Simiaes have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
- Brachiation: A Simiae is treated as having the feat Brachiation even if he doesn't meet the requirements.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Ape
- Favored Class: Barbarian, Ranger.
- Level Adjustment: +4