Shuriken Chain (Pathfinder Equipment)

From D&D Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Chain, Shuriken
Exotic Light Melee
Critical: ×2
Range Increment:
Type: Piercing
Hardness: 10
Size Cost1 Damage Weight1 hp
Fine 50 gp (1d3)*[(1 + 0.5*Str) - 4] 5/16 lb 1
Diminutive 30 gp (1d3)*[(1 + 0.5*Str) - 3] 5/8 lb 1
Tiny 50 gp (1d3)*[(1 + 0.5*Str) - 2] 1 1/4 lb 2
Small 100 gp (1d3)*[(1 + 0.5*Str) - 1] 2 1/2 lb 5
Medium 100 gp (1d3)*[(1 + 0.5*Str)] 5 lbs 10
Large 200 gp (1d3)*[(1d2 + 0.5*Str)] 10 lbs 20
Huge 400 gp (1d3)*[(1d3 + 0.5*Str)] 20 lbs 40
Gargantuan 800 gp (1d3)*[(1d4 + 0.5*Str)] 40 lbs 80
Colossal 1600 gp (1d3)*[(1d6 + 0.5*Str)] 80 lbs 160
  1. The SRD only gives a means to determine costs and weights of weapons for Large and Small versions based on the Medium weapons. Any other supplied values are the author's best determination.

Requirements[edit]

This weapon requires a weapon proficiency with shuriken and with spiked chains along with a weapon focus on one or the other to use. For each of these requirements a character is missing, she adds a +25% chance of striking herself (total of 75%). If she has a chance to strike herself, when she attacks, before rolling to hit, roll a percentile. If it lands within the "strike self" range, roll damage as normal but give damage to the character wielding the chain (ignoring AC, miss chance, or any other factor that would cause the chain to miss). Damage reduction still applies, but so does poison or any other weapon enhancement.

Description[edit]

A shuriken chain is a chain made up of linked shurikens, each one size smaller than chain size. Due to the difficulty wielding a shuriken chain, a weapon proficiency with both spiked chains and shurikens is required to avoid a wielder striking herself. Additionally, a weapon focus for one or the other is required to avoid a character hurting her hands on the chain.

A shuriken chain has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.

You can make trip attacks with the chain. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the chain to avoid being tripped.

When using a shuriken chain, you get a +2 bonus on opposed CMB made to trip an opponent (including the CMD roll to avoid being tripped if such an attempt fails and the wielder chooses not to drop the chain).

Damage[edit]

Rather than striking with a single attack, a shuriken chain acts as if multiple shuriken were thrown. Treat all attack rolls as if this weapon were a spiked chain. When an attack roll is successful, act as if the enemy was hit by 1d3 shurikens of one size category smaller than the chain (ignoring any ability, spell, or feat that would affect a ranged attack).

Treat each shuriken as if it was its own attack (though it only takes the one attack from the wielder and full attacks are still possible). This does include effects like damage reduction applying to each shuriken or things like the number of times an enemy has been hit this round (etc.).

However, each attack only applies half (rounded up) the strength (or dexterity) modifier for damage. An off hand attack only does a fourth (rounded up) strength damage unless the wielder possesses the feat Double Slice. Additionally, for small or smaller chains, each "shuriken" does a cumulative -1 damage after strength is applied, to a minimum of 0 damage.

Tripping[edit]

When the wielder of a shuriken chain makes a successful trip attempt with the chain, there is a 50% chance that one "shuriken" will strike the target. Upon a successful trip attempt, roll a percentile. If it is within the chosen 50%, act as if the enemy had been successfully hit with an attack by the chain, and the "1d3" was rolled as a "1". Any weapon enhancements and poison effects take place as normal.

Special[edit]

All feats/abilities/spells/other effects that affect either spiked chains or shurikens apply to this weapon. Equivalent bonuses do not stack, though similar bonuses do. For example, possessing weapon focus (spiked chain) and weapon focus (shuriken) only give a +1 to hit (as they are the same feat), but weapon focus (spiked chain) and a spell that adds a +1 to hit for shuriken would stack to a cumulative +2 to hit.

Ranged feats/abilities/spells/other effects may or may not apply to a shuriken chain, depending on the effect. Any that deal with range never affect this weapon. Point blank shot or similar can affect this weapon. Rapid shot and its feat tree (or equivalent to an increase in the number of ranged attacks) do not apply. Any other do apply (at your GM's discretion).

All melee feats/abilities/spells/other effects apply to a shuriken chain.

Poison[edit]

A single dose of poison will simultaneously apply to all "shuriken" with special rules. If only one "shuriken" hits, the poison only lasts 50% of the duration and has a -2 DC save. If two "shuriken" hit, standard poison rules apply. If three "shuriken" hit, the poison lasts +50% duration and has a +2 DC save. Regardless of how ever many "shuriken" hit, the dose of poison is used up upon a successful hit.



Back to Main PageDungeons and DragonsEquipmentWeapons

Home of user-generated,
homebrew pages!


admin area
Terms and Conditions for Non-Human Visitors