ShÃ¦nÃ© (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Shæné (pronounced shee-NAY) tend to be very cheerful, often bursting into a loud cackle. They have trouble suppressing this laugh if even slightly amused. They tend to enjoy illusory magic, particularly the shadow subschool. Shæné are always willing to help friends, and tend to continue asking if they can help, even when their help is refused. Their moods are usually much more exaggerated than those of other races.
Shæné are descendants of denizens of the plane of shadow who entered the material plane. Over the generations, they adapted to a more solid and more real form. Shæné have slightly varying shades of almost-black skin, dark gray organs, deep red blood, etc., but pure white eyes, bones, and teeth. Their eyes have no pupils, and seem to glow slightly, but not enough to create any illumination. They have no muscle or fat definition; their limbs and torso uniformly thicken and thin as they gain and lose fat and muscle mass. They range in height from around five feet to about seven feet, and they weigh anywhere from 100 to 200 pounds. These vary so much that there is no real "typical" height or weight. Their limbs tend to be a bit longer and thinner than a human's of roughly the same height, their hands and head slightly larger, and their heads rounder. Male shæné are completely hairless, while females have hair in varying shades of gray, but only on their heads. They are able to vocalize a very large range of sounds from the moment they are born, and typically learn to walk within days.
Other races are usually distrustful of shæné, seeing them as insane and alien. Various individuals sometimes make different claims of them, ranging from being animals rather than people to not being real at all.
Any, but usually chaotic due to their wild moods.
Shæné feel comfortable in areas at any stage of development, from living in the woods to a crowded metropolis. However, they are more comfortable in the dark, and often get a little nervous in very bright light.
Shæné are traditionally named whatever the first thing they say after being born is. As a result, their names have a very wide range of possibilities.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution: Shæné are naturally agile, but a bit easily distracted and not very resilient.
- Outsider (Native): Although the ancestors of the shæné were from the plane of shadow, they adapted so well to the material plane that they developed the qualities of a material plane native. Unlike most outsiders, shæné do not automatically receive proficiency with all simple and martial weapons.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, shæné have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Shæné base land speed is 30 feet. If a shæné is wearing either no armor or light armor and carrying no more than a light load, they receive a 10 foot bonus to the speed of all their movement forms that stacks with all others.
- Shadow aptitude (Su). Any spell of the shadow subschool (and any mystery, if you're using Tome of Magic in your campaign) cast by a shæné has a +1 bonus to the caster level.
- Umbral resistance (Ex). Shæné receive a racial bonus equal to 1/4 their character level to any save against any spell of the shadow subschool (and any mystery, if you're using Tome of Magic in your campaign).
- Darkvision (Ex). Darkvision, 120 feet.
- +2 racial bonus on balance, tumble, spellcraft, and use magic device checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic)
- Favored class: Sorcerer (or shadowcaster, if you're using Tome of Magic in your campaign).
- LA +0
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 10”||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 5”||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|