Sentient Machine (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The first sentient machine was created by a sorcerer who wanted to bring a living creature into the world. The sentient machine is a mechanical exoskeleton with metal plates attached to its frame, and runs off of pure arcane energy. Unknown to the sorcerer who created the first sentient machine, the construct was able to reproduce and create new life forms from itself. With the fact that it is hard to actually destroy or "kill" a sentient machine their numbers have steadily increased ever since.
The sentient machine personality is generally reserved, otherwise their personalities are as varied as humans.
Most sentient machines stand between 6 to 7 feet tall, and weigh between 350 to 800 pounds. They are generally made from a steel colored alloy but can be any color of metal. Their eyes glow either blue, green, red or purple and they possess no outward natural variations. However if a living construct wishes to be more unique or colorful they can have themselves acid etched with armorers acid to create intricate tatoos, or they can hire someone to carve designs.
Most races do not get along well with sentient machines due to their unique nature. While sentient machines are not aggressive they do not age, eat, sleep or have any urges like humanoids; they do not even possess a male female division amongst their kind. These differences may seem small at first but add in the fact that these creatures look like a human sized mobile magical construct with no free will (perceived only, the sentient machine has freedom of his own actions) and you get a race most others do not want around on a permanent basis.
Sentient machines tend to gravitate towards law and good, though there are sentient machine of all alignments and ethos.
Since the sentient machines are not welcome in most civilized areas, they tend to gravitate to areas that others abandon or refuse to live within. Wastelands, badlands, deserted cities and any other area that are not out right hostile to the living construct are viable habitats for sentient machine.
Sentient machines being a created race, they generally do not have any specific religions. With the fact that the first sentient machine is still alive and knew their creator, they do not believe in divine beings in general though exceptions to this rule have occurred.
Covus is the language of the sentient machines which is a combination of many different sounds. The language itself cannot be physically reproduced by most humanoids as the variety of sounds is not able to be replicated by vocal cords such as clicks, taps and whirling sounds from gears.
Names for the sentient machines are usually whatever the sentient machine is refered to first. Among their own society they don't actually use names and find naming conventions to be strange, as they are able to differentiate between themselves with ease.
- Strength +4, Intelligence +2, Constitution -, Charisma -4: Due to their mechanical nature the sentient machine is stronger than an average human, and they are able to process information easily. However due to their metallic appearance they have a major drawbacks for interaction with other races. Due to their construct nature the sentient machine does not have a constitution score.
- Humanoid (Construct): The sentient machine is roughly humanoid in shape and animated.
- Medium Size.
- Sentient machine base land speed is 30 feet
- Hard to kill (Ex): The sentient machine does not die when it reaches 0 hit points. Instead the sentient machine shuts down and becomes dormant for a period of 24 hours. To destroy a sentient machine, you must first force a shut down and then either smelt or destroy one half of the body or more.
- Natural Armor (Ex): The sentient machine has a base bonus of +2 Natural Armor Class.
- Automatic Languages: Corvus. Bonus Languages: Any, the mechanics of language are incredibly simple for a sentient machine to understand.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +2
Sentient machines do not gain any aging advantages as they have no known maximum age.
|Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|6'||+2d6 inches||300 lb.||(+3d6x10) lb.|