Ribbits (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Ribbits are defined by their racially massive ego. Everything a ribbit does, says or thinks gravitates around that ribbit, or at least any group or tribe he associates himself with. They are rash, boisterous and prone to strange temper tantrums, perhaps a remnant of a time when the only way for such a small, wiry race to survive was to lash out against any and all odds. They are perfectly capable of normal, level social behavior, but even the most calm member of the species usually has a flair for the (melo)dramatic.
|Ribbits come in all the colors|
of the rainbow.
Resembling particularly large and bipedal poison dart frogs, ribbits are the odd one out when it comes to humanoids. The sight of a pair of bulbous eyes, attached to a brightly-colored and moist string of a body is a strange one, especially when the ribbit in question is wearing clothes or armor.
Ribbits gravitate at around 1' 2'' to 1' 8'', and only very exceptional individuals (invariably a leader) goes past 2 feet. They weigh roughly 20-30 lb. with most of their weight in their plump bellies, and have rough, deep voices completely at odds with their miniature frame.
Ribbits might be brash, but they get along suprisingly well with most other races. Perhaps it has to do with the charming aspects of ribbit personality: their vivid sense of humor, inoffensive stature and innate sense of empathy. They get along especially well with aquatic species, such as merfolk and tritons, and enjoy the company of fey creatures.
The only folk ribbits dislike are those with no sense of grandeur and passion; for example, they get along with the gruff dwarves thanks to the passion they put into their work, but dislike the simple, crude nature of half-orcs and such.
There are ribbits on all walks of life, and they usually gather into tribes roughly by what alignment their leader holds. They lean ever so slightly towards good, and a lot towards chaotic (with Chaotic Good easily being the most common), but can represent any view of life, good or bad.
Ribbits inhabit a variety of settings: they are native to marshlands and river deltas and always demand at least a somewhat moist habitat, but can often be found in natural caverns with a water source. They are not settlers by nature, even though "lone wolf" -types are common (the ribbit nature is a fickle thing) and are not gifted artisans, but they will sometimes fashion themselves dwellings, especially in more hostile neighborhoods.
The average ribbit gives himself to a given god with all his heart - and to another the next day. Ribbits are very polytheistic by nature and understand the need for different kinds of gods. More secluded ribbit tribes might venerate a powerful local creature or phenomenon rather than a firm deity. Those who devote themselves to a single god usually choose Fharlanghn or Obad-Hai, with Olidammara being a close third.
Ribbits speak their own language, Ribbit, which consists of a complicated system of croaks and grunts with seemingly no vowels. Their vocal chords do not naturally lend themselves to other languages, so they have to make-do with slightly strange accents (for example, ribbits often pronounce g with a long quasi-croak, as in "sound the croong [gong]). Nonetheless, they often learn at least Common as well as possibly Aquan, Elven or Sylvan to get along with neighboring races and (with the more civilized tribes) to trade.
Ribbits have a cultural first name, often long and hard for other races to pronounce. Therefore they often take a second name, or "trade name", if they deal a lot with outsiders - these names tend to be Aquan or Elven in origin. Ribbits also have a surname (which they translate when traveling abroad), which consists of two parts: tribe name and the prefix brother/sister.
Ribbit Names: Cro'fooni'gnall, Dru'bell'ickik, Surr'nkn'rr, Hga'grkein'cro
Male Trade Names: Rovigan, Erion, Surruan, Mëilorinde, Torin, Horron
Female Trade Names: Ledige, Syndorin, Sul'thuan, Hailë, Thilien, Qu'rinni
Surnames: Wetly-Brother/Sister, Bulbel-Brother/Sister, Hailëe-Brother/Sister
|The rare ribbit warriors use longspears|
and other reach weapons to
beat their natural disadvantage.
- +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom: Ribbits are bigger-than-life personalities with a strong sense of self, but are feeble of both body and brain.
- Humanoid (Ribbit): Although exceedingly strange, ribbits are nonetheless humanoids.
- Tiny: As a Tiny creature, a ribbit gains a +2 size bonus to Armor Class and a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, has no natural reach, and his lifting and carrying limits are half of those of a Medium character. Ribbits only gain a +4 size modifier to their Hide checks thanks to their vivid coloration and twitchy personality.
- Ribbit base land speed is 20 feet. They also have a swim speed of 20 feet.
- Amphibious (Ex): Ribbits can breathe both air and water, and enjoy environments where they can freely change between the two.
- Excrete Toxin (Ex): Once per day as a free action, a ribbit may excrete a layer of toxic substances from his skin, causing opponents to become poisoned every time he succeeds on an unarmed attack. Creatures grappling a ribbit or attacking him unarmed or with natural weapons are affected by the poison each time one of their attacks hits. The toxic lasts until the ribbit's next turn and has the following qualities: Fortitude DC 10 + ½ the ribbit's HD + the ribbit's Con modifier, initial and secondary damage 1d6 Con.
- Skills: A ribbit has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. He can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. He can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line. A ribbit uses his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier for Climb and Swim checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Ribbit. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Elven, Gnome, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|25 years||40 years||50 years||+1d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||1' 0"||+2d4||15 lb.||× 1 lb.|
|Female||0' 10"||+2d4||10 lb.||× 1 lb.|