Rebreather (4e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
The rebreather is a known 4e character build, designed to constantly recharge the dragon breath ability. It requires using both a Dragonborn and a Sorcerer.
Hybrid sorcerers can gain access to this build, but multiclass sorcerers do not.
<- Rule books and/or other sources used in this build ->
Game Rule Components
- Sorcerer (Player's Handbook 2)
- Dragon Magic
- Dragonborn (Player's Handbook, Heroes of the Forgotten Realms)
- Dragon Breath (Player's Handbook, Heroes of the Forgotten Realms)
- Nusemnee's Atonement (Dragon Magazine 390)
- Ancient Soul (Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn)
- Character Theme: Senaste (Dragon Magazine 414)
Spells, Powers, Soulmelds, Stances, etc...
<- items used in this build ->
<- anything not covered by the previous sections ->
The Ancient Soul feat allows you to recharge your Dragon breath power if you take damage of the same type as your dragon breath (provided your dragon soul matches)
The Nusemnee's Atonement feat triggers if you damage an ally with an attack. The damage is redirected to yourself, and you resist 5 damage. Usually, enough damage can get through.
The Senaste character theme provides temporary hitpoints whenever you use an encounter power. These temporary hitpoints are removed first, while still considering yourself damaged by your own attack.
And the core of the build: Dragon Breath. It is a minor action, and as written, can be used three times in a single round if desired.
<- Take it to the next level ->
<- overview of additional info about this build ->
<- conditions of when this build works ->
<- If needed, tricks for the DM (provided they allow this build) to keep the abuse to a minimum. ->
- Bag of rats: As you are blasting yourself with a damage type to recharge dragon breath against replenishable temporary hit points, you aren't engaging in a meaningful threat and therefore shouldn't get to recover dragon breath. (See Rules Compendium 108 concerning Legitimate Targets)
- The Rebreather exemplifies the concept of the "glass cannon." It is a squishy mage who makes himself squishier by inflicting huge quantities of damage to himself, sometimes multiple times a round, and has a class feature that allows himself to ignore resistance to his arcane powers (his breath weapon included). He does huge amounts of damage to his enemies and to himself as well, making him an obvious target.
- Any Rebreather long for this world is likely to depend on a healer's help.
- Daze effects, problematic to all PCs, are nightmarish for Rebreathers and defeat the point of the exercise.
<- Any other side notes that don't fit in the above sections. ->
Back to Main Page → 4e Homebrew → Optimized Character Builds