Pureblood Vampire (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Purebloods tend to hold themselves in high regard, usually coming of as pompous and arrogant.
Due to their high pedigree, Purebloods possess a beauty that is considered otherworldly. They, unlike most lesser vampires, appear to be normal, attractive humans. Additionally, a Pureblood is also slightly taller than the average human, though they can come in all sizes.
Normally, a pureblood views a normal vampire as a subject and mortals as nothing more than food. But, should a pureblood take interest in a particular mortal or lesser vampire, they may attempt to keep said mortal or vampire as a pet or slave; or very rarely, a mate. Mortals in particular are fascinating to and alluring to purebloods. However, there have been a few recorded cases of said fascination devolving into a manic and carnal obsession; a desire to own and control the unfortunate target of these unhealthy affections.
A Pureblood may be of any alignment, as they are strong enough to resist their dark urges, though most lean towards evil.
A Pureblood may live anywhere it pleases.
No matter what, a Pureblood will always venerate the deity that sired them. If they were created through other means, they are free to choose what deity they will serve, if they choose to serve one at all.
As with all races, Purebloods speak common. They are also fluent in Abyssal, Infernal, and Celestial. Additionally, some may choose to learn Undercommon or Draconic.
Purebloods tend to have Human or Elvish names, though any name will do.
- Outsider (Evil, Native): A pureblood vampire is an outsider, but is considered undead for the purposes of spell effects and feat prerequisites, and it has 12-sided Hit Dice. Additionally, it lacks a Constitution score like a normal. As an outsider with the native subtype, a pureblood vampire still has a soul and can be resurrected as a normal mortal creature can. Pureblood vampires do not breathe, eat, or sleep.
- Medium: Though medium is the most common size for pureblood vampires, their sizes can range from fine to colossal.
- Pureblood Vampire base land speed is 40 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A pureblood vampire begins with twelve levels of outsider, which provide 12d12 hit dice, a base attack bonus of +12, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +8, Ref +8, and Will +8.
- Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
- Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
- Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
- A pureblood vampire uses its Charisma modifier for additional hit points, for Concentration checks, and any Constitution based checks.
- Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it immediately assumes gaseous form.
- +8 Natural Armor.
- Natural Attacks: Pureblood vampires have two primary claw attacks, a secondary bite attack, and a secondary slam attack. Their natural attacks deal damage according to the following table.
Size Damage Fine 1 Diminutive 1d2 Tiny 1d3 Small 1d4 Medium 1d6 Large 1d8 Huge 2d6 Gargantuan 2d8 Colossal 4d6
- Special Attacks: The saving throw for a pureblood vampire's special attacks are 12 + ½ pureblood vampire's HD + pureblood vampire's charisma modifier unless noted otherwise.
- Bat Mastery(Su): Pureblood vampires may call upon bats to help them as once a day. They may call upon one additional bat per level, to a maximum of ten. these bats can help in combat or do simple tasks for three turns. Blood Drain (Ex): A vampire can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4+2 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points.
- Children of the Night (Su): Pureblood vampires command the lesser creatures of the world and once per day can call forth 1d6+3 rat swarms, 1d4+3 bat swarms, or a pack of 3d6 wolves as a standard action. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might summon other creatures of similar power.) These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the vampire for up to 1 hour.
- Dominate (Su): A pureblood vampire can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the pureblood vampire must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. Anyone the pureblood vampire targets must succeed on a Will save or fall instantly under the pureblood vampire’s influence as though by a dominate person spell (caster level 12th). The ability has a range of 30 feet.
- Create Spawn (Su): A humanoid or monstrous humanoid slain by a pureblood vampire’s energy drain rises as a vampire spawn (see the Vampire Spawn entry) 1d4 days after burial. If the pureblood vampire instead drains the victim’s Constitution to 0 or lower, the victim returns as a spawn if it had 4 or less HD and as a vampire if it had 5 or more HD. In either case, the new vampire or spawn is under the command of the pureblood vampire that created it and remains enslaved until its master’s destruction. At any given time a vampire may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than twice its own Hit Dice; any spawn it creates that would exceed this limit are created as free-willed vampires or vampire spawn. A vampire that is enslaved may create and enslave spawn of its own, so a master pureblood vampire can control a number of lesser vampires in this fashion. A pureblood vampire may voluntarily free an enslaved spawn in order to enslave a new spawn, but once freed, a vampire or vampire spawn cannot be enslaved again.
- Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a pureblood vampire’s slam attack (or any other natural weapon the pureblood vampire might possess) gain two negative levels. For each negative level bestowed, the pureblood vampire gains 5 temporary hit points. A pureblood vampire can use its energy drain ability once per round.
- Special Qualities: A pureblood vampire has all the special qualities described below.
- Alternate Form (Su): A pureblood vampire can assume the shape of a bat, dire bat, wolf, or dire wolf as a standard action. While in its alternate form, the vampire loses its natural attacks and dominate ability, but it gains the natural weapons and extraordinary special attacks of its new form. It can remain in that form until it assumes another or until the next sunrise.
- Damage Reduction (Ex): A pureblood vampire has damage reduction 10/silver and magic. A pureblood vampire’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
- Fast Healing (Ex): A pureblood vampire heals 8 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, it automatically assumes gaseous form and attempts to escape. It must reach its coffin home within 4 hours or be utterly destroyed. (It can travel up to nine miles in 2 hours.) Any additional damage dealt to a pureblood vampire forced into gaseous form has no effect. Once at rest in its coffin, a vampire is helpless. It regains 1 hit point after 1 hour, then is no longer helpless and resumes healing at the rate of 5 hit points per round.
- Gaseous Form (Su): As a standard action, a pureblood vampire can assume gaseous form at will as the spell (caster level 5th), but it can remain gaseous indefinitely and has a fly speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability.
- Progenerate (Su): By feeding its blood to a willing or helpless creature, a pureblood vampire can turn the creature into another pureblood vampire. The new pureblood vampire may be emotionally attached to its progenitor and may even feel some form of love toward them, be it familial or romantic, but, it is ultimately in control of itself and is free to leave it's progenitor at any time. A pureblood vampire can use this ability once per year.
- Resistances (Ex): A pureblood vampire has resistance to cold 10, electricity 10, and positive energy 10.
- Spider Climb (Ex): A pureblood vampire can climb sheer surfaces as though with a spider climb spell.
- Turn Resistance (Ex): A pureblood vampire has +6 turn resistance.
- Sanguine Empowerment (Su): If a pureblood vampire kills a enemy with its bite attack or blood drain, roll a d%. If the number is 100, the pureblood vampire gains either a minor version of a power or special attack, the DM decides, associated with that enemy.
- Sanguine Enhancement (Su): If a pureblood vampire drains another pureblood vampire, its Ability scores, with the exception of Constitution, and natural armor improve by 1.
- Supernatural Durability(Su): Pureblood vampires are much harder to kill than lesser vampires. Even if a pureblood vampire is steaked and decapitated, They may be restored if their head is returned, the steak is removed, and they are fed blood. To permanently kill a pureblood vampire, in addition to the normal requirements to kill a vampire, the body must be burned.
- +10 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks and a +10 racial bonus on Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nature), and Knowledge (Religion) checks. Additionally, they are considered class skills for a pureblood vampire.
- Feats: Pureblood vampires gain Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Endure Sunlight, Improved Initiative, lifesence, Lightning Reflexes, and Necrotic Reserve, assuming doesn’t already have these feats.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Abyssal, Infernal, and Celetial. Bonus Languages: Any non secret.
- Favored Class: Any.
- Level Adjustment:+12
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|350 years||530 years||700 years||no maximum age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 6"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||5' 3"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|