Protector, Lost Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
NOTE:This race is based heavily on the original Protector (3.5e Race) page combined with my own experiences during a campaign using that race. I do not take credit for any of the original work, and strongly suggest any potential readers check that page first.
The idea of creating a better warrior is by no means new, but this method of creation is. By using arcane force the combining a gargoyle with a human creates a physically powerful, but morally grounded creature. The process is both dangerous and painful in the extreme for the human and gargoyle as it is an imperfect combining of 2 bodies and 2 souls causing most subjects to end up dead or insane. The Protector was designed to defend those who can not defend themselves and the combination of human and gargoyle often leads to them seeking a worthy case, place, or person to defend.
Protectors regularly fights the animalistic urges of its gargoyle half. This is because the Protector is neither the human nor the gargoyle it was before the creation process, it is an entirely new being that retains partial memories and urges from both "parents." While intelligent and morally grounded they are strange creatures and thus receive much unwarranted and undeserved scorn and hatred due to their monstrous physique. This leads them to a more self conscious and reclusive nature which abruptly ends if anything threatens anything under the Protectors watch. Sometimes a threat can causes them to travel far and wide in the attempt to defend their new found ward be it: object, idea, or being. In these travels they have also been known to defend innocents in danger on principle alone.
DM's Note:These spontaneous acts of good will can eventually lead to their acceptance within communities
Protectors are taller than the average human (Depending, of course, on the human used in the creation). They are heavy (a little less a fully armored knight) because of their gargoyle traits that also override almost all their human traits except their eyes which are the same as their human "parent's" eyes. Those that knew the human before the fusion can recognize a protector this way.
They also have cold gray skin which has the appearance and texture of stone, clawed hands, and horns protruding from their heads, and large wings sprouting from their backs. Each wing has a dagger like claw which can be used as a weapon or to secure their wings around them like a cloak.
The Protector feels an obligation to defend races weaker than it. Their protective nature can sometimes come off as suffocating, patronizing or condescending, but they generally mean well toward others.
Usually good aligned although a few protectors have been driven mad by their creation and have escaped. This insanity gives them a chaotic mentality.
The Protector prefers high dark places. This could be due to a racial preference or a self conscious attitude. It could also be that they want a bird's eye view of the situation and an advantageous position to ambush enemies.
Despite their good nature, they receive about as much hatred from many religions. If they do take up a religion, it will be that of a god that advocates protection of others and does not shun their method of creation.
They either choose their own names or are given one by their creators
- Base Ability Modifiers
- +4 Strength
- +2 Dexterity
- +2 Constitution
- -2 Intelligence
- +2 Wisdom
- -2 Charisma
- Type: Monstrous Humanoid
- Size: Medium
- Base Land Speed: 30 feet, Fly 50 feet(average)
- Sight: Dark Vision 60 feet
- Natural AC: +2
- Natural Weapons:
- 2 claws (1d6 each)
- Gore (1d6)
- Wing Claw (1D4)
- Racial Skills:
- +2 Hide, Spot, Listen
- +4 to Hide against stone backgrounds
- Ties to Humanity(Ex): A Protector's human half gives them 1 bonus starting feat at character creation.
- The Protector can hold so still that it appears to be a statue. A creature must succeed a (DC 15 + Caster Level) Spot check to notice it is alive. While using Freeze a protector does not need to eat, sleep, or breath and is able to hold the position for (4 + Caster Level) hours.
- Body of Living Stone(Su):
- Protectors do not have blood, instead when injured the wound emanates a glowing arcane mist which slowly heals them.
- When a Protector has a limb broken or injured it either shatters or cracks. Shattered limbs can grow back in a week, cracked limbs heal in 1 day.
- If a Protector takes an action using a cracked limb they take 1d2 damage after the action resolves.
- A Protector heals an amount equal to their hit die once every hour while outside of combat.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Terran
- Bonus Languages: Any except secret (such as Druidic)
- Skill Points: 4 x (2 + Int modifier)
- Favored Class: Fighter
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Adulthood1||Middle Age2||Old3||Venerable4||Maximum Age|
|0 years||200 years||500 years||1000 years||No maximum|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 6"||+1d6 in.||260 lb.||+2d20 lb.|
|Female||6'||+1d6 in.||210 lb.||+2d20 lb.|