Planar Guardian (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Though not at first, each Planar Guardian gets their own plane of existence that they have access to. It is strictly for them and their desires, and can be used in any number of ways, but the end result is all the same; it becomes the Planar Guardian's home, and they defend it with all they have, allowing only a select few very trusted individuals in if they are capable enough.
Making a Planar Guardian
Abilities: Intelligence (For Class Features) and Wisdom (For Spellcasting)
Alignment: Any Good or Neutral
Starting Gold: 2d6x10 gp. In addition, you also start play with one masterwork backpack, and one towel.
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Analyze Portal, True Name: Summoning||4||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2nd||+1||+0||+0||+3||Planar Attunement, Planar Trait||5||4||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|6th||+3||+2||+2||+5||Summon Spell Dampening||5||5||5||4||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|8th||+4||+2||+2||+6||Planar Trait, Personal Plane, Open Portal||5||5||5||5||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|10th||+5||+3||+3||+7||Planar Knowledge (Skill Focus feats)||5||5||5||5||5||4||—||—||—||—|
|14th||+7/+2||+4||+4||+9||Planar Trait, True Name: Dismissal||5||5||5||5||5||5||5||4||—||—|
|20th||+10/+5||+6||+6||+12||Planar Trait, Final Attunement||5||5||5||5||5||5||5||5||5||5|
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Planar Guardian.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Planar Guardians are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Like other spell casters, the Planar Guardian is subject to arcane spell chance failure.
Spells: A Planar Guardian casts spells drawn from the Sorcerer/Wizard Spell list. She can cast any spell she knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, the Planar Guardian must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty class for a saving throw against a Planar Guardian's spell is 10 + the spell level + the Planar Guardian's Wisdom modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a Planar Guardian can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily allotment is given on Table: The Planar Guardian. However, she does not receive additional bonus spells per day for a high Wisdom modifier.
A Planar Guardian's selection of spells is extremely limited. A Planar Guardian begins play knowing four 0-level spells and two 1st-level spells of her choice. At each new Planar Guardian level, she gains one or more new spells as indicated on Table: Planar Guardian Spells Known. A Planar Guardian may also know additional spells for a high Wisdom score (treating the number of spells per day you get as spells known). These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the Planar Guardian has gained through some understanding of through study.
Upon reaching 4th level and at ever even numbered Planar Guardian level thereafter, a Planar Guardian can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the Planar Guardian loses the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell's level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged. A Planar Guardian may swamp only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level.
Unlike a wizard or cleric, a Planar Guardian need not prepare her spells in advance. She can cast any spells she knows at any time, assuming she has not yet used up her spells per day for that spell level.
Analyze Portal (Su): The Planar Guardian has a strong sense of spacial disturbances, allowing them to sense portals and study them. They can do this a number of times per day equal to your Planar Guardian class levels, and require either a mirror or lens as a focus.
Using this ability takes one minutes, and allows you to tell within a 60 foot cone whether the area contains a magic portal. This lasts for 1 round per level. If you study an area for 1 round, you know the sizes and locations of any portals in the area. Once you find a portal, you can study it. (If you find more than one portal, you can only study one at a time.)
Each round you study a portal, you can discover one property of the portal, in this order:
- -Any key or command word needed to activate the portal.
- -Any special circumstances governing the portal's use (such as specific times when it can be activated)
- -Whether the portal is one-way or two-way.
- -Any of the usual properties of portals (What it looks like, how to interact with it, how complex it is, ect;)
- -Finally, a glimpse of the area where the portal leads. You can look at the area where the portal leads for 1 round; the range of the Planar Guardian's vision is 60 feet beyond the entrance. This ability does not allow other divination abilities or spells to extend through the portal, such as detect evil, detect magic, and other such spells.
Fore each property, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against DC 17. If you fail, you can try again the next round. This ability has only a limited ability to reveal unusual properties, as follows:
- Random Portals: The ability reveals only that the portal is random and whether it can be activated now. It does not reveal when the portal starts or stops functioning.
- Variable Portals:This ability only reveals that the portal is variable. If the caster studies the portal's destination, the spell reveals only the destination to which the portal is currently set at.
- Creature-Only Portals: This ability reveals this property. If the caster studies the portal's destination, the spell reveals where the portal sends creatures. If it is the kind of portal that sends creatures one place and their equipment to another, the ability does not reveal where the equipment goes.
- Malfunctioning Portals:This ability only reveals that the portal is malfunctioning, not what sort of malfunction the portal produces.
True Name: Summoning (Su): A Planar Guardian can channel their energy into a Summon Monster spell at any time, even if they do not know the spell by sacrificing a spell cast for that day of equal level or lower, but the summoned creature must still match your alignment within one step. These summons are unique. Each creature the Planar Guardian knows intimately, so they are treated as if they were companions (having their own character sheets and statistics, and thus may be leveled accordingly equal to your level as if they were an animal companion). A Planar Guardian may only have a number of summoned creatures at any time equal to their Wisdom modifier, but they last indefinitely (until willed or forcibly dismissed, or slain).
All summoned creatures are treated as if they were under the effects of Augment Summoning, regardless of if you already have the feats (if you already have the feats, the effects stack). Summoned creatures in this manner can only be dismissed by a successful caster level check (DC = 10 + 1/2 Planar Guardian class levels + Wisdom modifier) using the Banishment spell. If the summoned creature dies, they cannot be summoned again for 1d3 days.
At 10th level you may choose to apply the Celestial template to your summoned creature.
Planar Attunement (Ex): As you advance in wisdom and power, and come to understand what plane it is you desire to protect one day, you start gaining various traits to match that plane to help you exist there and give you an advantage. At 2nd level, and every 3 levels thereafter, you gain a "Planar Trait", this trait typically matches the plane, or some environment within the plane you will be one day guarding. You may only select each Planar Trait once unless indicated otherwise. You can select from the following list:
- Air: You gain Electricity Resistance 5. Can be taken multiple times to a maximum of 4.
- Aligned: You may ignore the penalties of anything regarding your alignment within one step. If taken a second time, you may ignore all penalties, but you no longer gain bonuses.
- Aquatic: You gain a 10 foot swim speed. May be taken up to a maximum of three times. If taken a third time you gain a +8 to all Swim checks.
- Arcane: You gain a spell resistance equal to 11 + 1/2 you Planar Guardian class levels + your wisdom modifier. Requires level 11 or higher.
- Cold: You gain Cold Resistance 5. Can be taken multiple times to a maximum of 4.
- Desert: You may ignore effects that cause you fatigue. If taken a second time, you may ignore both fatigue and exhaustion. If taken a third time, you need only 1/4 as much food and water as normal for your race.
- Fire: You gain Fire Resistance 5. Can be taken multiple times to a maximum of 4.
- Forest: You gain the Scent special quality.
- Hills: You may ignore all penalties from Rough Terrain.
- Marsh: You leave no trail while in a natural surrounding and cannot be tracked. You may leave a trail if so desired.
- Mountains: You gain a 10 foot climb speed. May be taken up to three times. If taken a third time you gain a +8 to all Climb checks.
- Plagued: You gain immunity to diseases.
- Plains: You can live comfortably anywhere and are treated as always under the effects of Endure Elements
- Swamps: You are immune to poisons. Requires level 9 or higher.
- Tenebrous: You gain a 30 foot tremor sense. Requires level 8 or higher.
- Underground: You gain Low-Light Vision (120 ft). If taken a second time you also gain Darkvision (60 ft).
- Vibrational: You gain Sonic Resistance 5. May be take multiple times to a maximum of 4.
- Volatile: You gain Acid Resistance 5. May be taken multiple times to a maximum of 4.
- Weightless: You gain a fly speed (by supernatural means) of 10 feet with average maneuverability. May be taken multiple times to a maximum of 3. If taken a third time, you gain a +8 on all Fly checks and have Good Maneuverability.
Planar Knowledge: At 3rd level, the Planar Guardian may add up to half his class levels as a bonus to Knowledge (Arcana) and Knowledge (Planes) checks. At 10th level he gains a Skill Focus feat for both skills as well.
Summon Spell Dampening (Su): A Planar Guardian often inhibits (and angers) outsiders by preventing them from summoning more reinforcements. At 6th level, three times per day you may make a field with a 100 foot radius (+10 feet per Planar Guardian level) centered on you that dampens summoning. Summoning and calling spells and spell-like abilities are suppressed within the radius, though creatures summoned outside the dampening field can enter it normally. The dampening field lasts for a number of rounds equal to 10 plus your wisdom modifier. Summoned creatures summoned before this ability is used are unaffected. This ability also prevents you from summoning your creatures.
Personal Plane (Ex): At 8th level, the Planar Guardian final finds their plane of existence they will call home and safe guard from all others. You discover or create a finite plane within another dimension that only you can access up to three times per day via instant Plane Shift (self only, not usable in combat). The size of the plane is 10 miles per level of Planar Guardian. Immediately upon discovery or creation, there is a small sturdy cottage for you and your things (as the spell Secure Shelter). A great deal of creativity is needed here and should be discussed with your DM. Materials may be taken to and from this plane as long as they originate somewhere else, but you may not take supplies from the plane (other then food if it is grown or made there). At 14th level, you may access this plane up to five times per day. This same plane is also where your summoned creatures, (the ones you know intimately from True Name: Summoning class feature), reside until called upon. The environment is always hospitable and offers a variety of different biomes to accommodate whatever life it holds, including food for the natives.
Open Portal (Su): At 8th level, the second part of what allowed the Planar Guardian to create his own personal plane of existence, is the ability to open portals by force. Using your Wisdom modifier in place of Dexterity, you may roll an Open Lock check to force a portal open if you are at one. Portals typically have the following DCs:
|Typical Keyed Portal||30|
|Portal Sealed by Seal Portal spell||20 + caster's level|
|Portal Created by Deity||50|
Planar Dampening (Su): At 12th level the Planar Guardian can emit a field that suppresses spells and spell-like abilities with a 30-foot radius that access other planes. Existing spells and spell-like abilities are unaffected; a Planar Guardian can't end a foe's Astral Projection just by moving nearby. But spells cast after the Planar Guardian emits the planar dampening field are affected. An opponent withing 30 feet couldn't escape the Planar Guardian with a Dimension Door spell or get reinforcements with a Summon Monster spell, for example. The Planar Guardian can activate Planar Dampening three times per day for 10 rounds each.
The Planar Guardian's Planar Dampening ability effects the following spells and spell-like abilities, as well as your own that rely on planar movement or access, though more may be added at the DM's discretion:
- Astral Projection, Banishment, Blink, Commune, Contact Other Plane, Dimension Door, Dismissal, Ethereal Jaunt, Etherealness, Gate, Interplanar Message, Secret Chest, Make Manifest, Maze, Mage's Magnificent Mansion, Plane Shift, Reality Maelstrom, Rope Trick, Teleport, Teleportation Circle, Teleport Without Error, and Vanish.
Furthermore, summoning and calling spells can only reach creatures from the same plane and spells from the shadow subschool only work on the Plane of Shadow. The banishment effects if Blasphemy, Dictum, Holy Word, and Word of Chaos are suppressed, although the spells otherwise function normally.
True Name: Dismissal (Su): At 14th level, you may duplicate the effects of Banishment on a target, provided they were summoned or are extraplanar. This works even against target immune to Spell Resistance or are Immune to Magic. May be used a number of times per day equal to 3 plus 1/2 your Planar Guardian level.
Gate (Sp): At 16th level, you may duplicate the effects of the spell Gate a number of times per day equal to 3 plus your Wisdom modifier, but there are a few adjustments. This gate only reaches your Personal Plane, allowing you and anyone else who enters to access your personal plane and remain there as long as desired (or until dismissed). Lastly, the Gate exists for 1 minute per level as opposed to 1 round per level.
Final Attunement: At 20th level, the Planar Guardian becomes an outsider, rather than a humanoid (or whatever the creature type was previously). Additionally, the Planar Guardian gains damage reduction 10/magic. If slain, the Planar Guardian is instead dismissed back to their personal plane and may only come back of their own accord one month later; however unlike other outsides she can be brought back earlier then this if Resurrection or True Resurrection are used to do so as if resurrecting the Planar Guardian.
While the Planar Guard does not lose anything for violating their alignment, they may no longer gain levels as Planar Guardian until their alignment has been restored.
Playing a Planar Guardian
Religion: Due to their constant plane walking and knowledge of other beings, they do not follow one specific faith, as a matter of fact, most dont even bother to worship gods, but acknowledge them instead as if they were another person.
Other Classes: A lot of classes will simply throw this class in with Wizards and Sorcerers. Only the Wizards and Bards know better though.
Combat: Support, never up front.
Advancement: Monk or Cleric are good options to help boost survivability..
Planar Guardians in the World
|“||Witness now, the home of my people demonstrated before you on this whole new plane of existence.||”|
|—Strix, Human Planar Guardian|
Planar Guardians typically guard just that; their home planes. Some though do resolve to guard duty at specific portals between planes.
Notables: Strix, Chief of the Crystal Plane.
Organizations: There are no formal organizations, but civilizations may often form in an individual's personal plane.
Planar Guardian Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Planes) or Knowledge (Arcana) can research Planar Guardians to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||They can summon amazing supperior monsters.|
|10||They seem to be able to travel between dimensions as they please.|
|15||Planar Guardians have their own personal planes of existence where they can basically play god.|
|20||Information available by choice.|
Planar Guardians in the Game
Adaptation: A variant to consider is a Planetary Guardian, using similar class features and renaming them.