Perinoir (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Having never developed many of the constraints and concerns of other sentient races, Perinoir are considerably more relaxed on issues of the taboo. Empathic and novel, they'll almost always tend towards cooperative solutions to concerns and frequently would enjoy nothing more than working together to expand their understanding with others.
As aberrations from another world, Perinoir are bizarre and utterly alien to the inhabitants of the material plane. Short, they're vaguely comparable to an even more alien quadrupedal sort of doppelganger in appearance, while walking with the use of their arms they stand roughly three feet tall. Finding bipedal motion unnatural and unwieldy, they rarely move long distances on their hind legs alone but are quite capable of holding the position effectively enough to fight with their arms and stand at four feet tall. Perinoir skintones range from pinks all the way to dark blues, including reds and purples all of which include a grey undertone which the Perinoir insist is a bright colour.
Lacking ears, Perinoir hearing is assisted by the hood-like form associated with their necks which helps anchor their large and elongated skulls to their shoulders. Their vision is exceptional, using their large, inky eyes which lack any apparent pupil or irises to see in near-total darkness. Perinoir mouths much smaller in relation to their head than other races, forming a short fused muzzle with their noses which is too small and improperly shaped to allow for speech in the common languages of the material realm. They're notable for having no apparent difference between sexes, while Perinoir claim that it's obvious enough, others often settle for thinking of them as androgynous.
Perinoir aging is ambiguous at best, simply appearing out of the world when it's sufficiently touched by what remains of their plane, they can be any apparent age at birth. To complicate this, Perinoir either have an unfathomable lifecycle or simply age in a non-linear fashion, those who are born old will seemingly become younger over time while those who are born young will age more normally, only to rebound back towards youth. If not tampered with, Perinoir can go on this way for hundreds of years before dying of a non-age related cause.
Perinoir are rarely on good terms with other races as a whole due to frequent cultural misunderstandings and undercurrents of apartness. Albeit, they'll frequently get along with those which are willing to accept them for what they are and commonly enjoy the company of more playful and relaxed races such as fey and gnomes. While they may have some commonality in their cerebral nature with elves and the psychic races, it's rare that they'll encounter each other peaceably and other races tend to rank Perinoir as just another sort of aberration to be purged.
Deeply empathic, Perinoir rarely stretch into evil but are creatures just the same and it does happen. Due to their novel culture, Perinoir completely lack a concept of law and thus never become lawful on their own.
Perinoir lack lands of their own on the material plane, instead they simply come into being in areas sufficiently infused or corrupted by depending on one's perspective, the remnants of their plane. These regions frequently completely supplant the native biome and its environment with its own weather, flora, and fauna which is often seen as a pestilence. Despite their alien nature, Perinoir tend to tolerate the material plane's natural environments quite well, with a preference for cold over hot.
Lacking a cultural background in religion, Perinoir tend to have vague and abstract concepts of forces similar to Dao rather than the personal variety of gods preferred by most other races. However, it's not unusual to find them at least paying lip service to the gods of those they find themselves near, adopting them to varying degrees over time.
Perinoir are innately psionic and capable of telepathy, which is fortunate as their mouthparts are incapable of producing the sounds necessary for communicating with other races. While they're better than many at communication with those unfamiliar to them, Perinoir must be at least familiar with the language of those they engage in telepathy with in order to share anything other than disconnected images and concepts.
Perinoir themselves have no names within their culture, often using the idea for "we" to refer to themselves as a whole and "this one" to specifically imply themselves as an individual. Perinoir itself isn't actually a term they came up with, but one that caught on after they were cataloged as such in a wizards compendium. When in contact with other races, Perinoir will typically be accepting of nicknames and frequently end up with a litany of "small names" which they'll often answer with when questioned on the name of "this one".
- +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Incredibly wise, Perinoir are not born but erupted into being already bearing an advanced understanding of the world around them which only increases as they age. As aberrations, most creatures find them at best unsettling to be near.
- Aberration (Psionic): From another plane, Perinoir are innately psionic aberrations which are immune to abilities which affect humanoids only, such as charm person and dominate person.
- Small: Perinoir gain +1 to AC and attack rolls, but suffer -4 to special attacks while gaining +4 to hide checks.
- Perinoir base land speed is thirty feet while on all fours, slowed to twenty feet while walking upright.
- Naturally Psionic: Perinoir gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Telepathy(Ps): While incapable of speech, Perinoir can communicate through telepathy with any creature they're aware of within 120 feet.
- Large arms: Unlike most small races, Perinoir can use normal-sized weapons without a penalty due to their long and powerful front limbs.
- +2 to climb checks, Perinoir's long arms and fingers give them a natural advantage in climbing situations.
- Darkvision: Ovoid, inky eyes seeing more into the nature of reality itself than the world as we know it, Perinoir have darkvision out to 60 feet much like other aberrations.
- Psi-Like Ability Detect Thoughts: Used during a full round search action, Perinoir can use their psionic abilities to detect the minds and thoughts around them. Manifester level is equal to the Perinoir's hitdie. The save DC is Wisdom-based.
- Automatic Languages: Perinoir start the game with no bonus languages, lacking the ability to speak. Bonus Languages: Any, Perinoir can quickly learn the languages of those they encounter through telepathy.
- Favored Class: Any psionic.
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|390 years||480 years||520 years||+3d100 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Androgynous||2'8"||+1d8 inches||45 lb.||+2d12 lb.|