People's Republic of Asia (Fallout Supplement)
From D&D Wiki
The largest power of the East, the People's Republic of Asia has been striving to reunite the scattered survivors of the wastes.
Arising in the nuclear wastes of southern China, this tribe's work has been difficult from the outset. While much of North America was devastated during the Great War, the U.S.'s larger nuclear weapons stockpile decimated far larger portions of Asia to a much greater degree. With a higher background radiation, and larger number of directly struck areas, mutants and ghouls were a far more common sight in Asia than ever in the US. Indeed, leaving their vaults was not a feasible choice until 2180, over a hundred years after the Great War. Despite this delayed start compared to other tribes, the vaults' stocks of military technology aided the People's Republic as it swiftly organized its expansion into the surrounding ruins.
The Eastern March
The People's Republic hails from the more central regions of Pre-War China, which weren't struck with as much abandon as the more high-value civilian targets of the coastlines. After the survivors emerged from their vaults, and established themselves as a strong tribe, the decision was made to send a scouting contingent to look for any survivors in what was the original capital of pre-war China. This was the largest scouting mission of its kind in the world, and sent into the most heavily hit regions. It is still known today as "The Eastern March," and most tribes grudgingly acknowledge the PRA's scouts as some of the most swift and dedicated in the remaining world.
Over the course of three months, nearly half of the scouts were lost, either to radiation poisoning or mutant attack. By the time the trek ended, it was clear no descendants of the original government could have survived the nuclear hellfire that had been brought down. Once the 5 surviving scouts returned with their tales of desolation, the tribe, previously unnamed, began to push forth as the new powerhouse of the east. They declared themselves the People's Republic of Asia, and began to push into the surrounding wastelands, annexing territory as they went.
While scavenging brought the tribe a great deal of power, most of the wealth has been immediately pushed into either advancing expansion efforts, or improving the quality of life amongst citizens. While the situation is not yet perfect, few starve in PRA territory.
The African Solution
By 2250, much of Southern Asia, including the Indian subcontinent was held by the PRA. The standards of living had increased exponentially in controlled territories, and the People's Republic had made the land drastically safer. Indeed, agriculture and limited manufacturing could begin once again. However, limited access to petroleum and other fossil fuels stunted the growth of manufacturing and pharmaceutical plants. At the time, the inability to produce medications was becoming a vital concern. As the population grew, so did the dangers of plagues and malnutrition. As supplies of valuable chemicals dwindled, the decision was made to explore and annex the world's former oil capital: the Arabian Peninsula.
Limited supplies made driving vehicles or caravans across the land route prohibitive, as well as the length of time to return any amount of resources. Furthermore, fuel shortages forced the PRA to be creative regarding sea travel. Instead of the diesel-powered vessels which dominated military and trade routes for decades prior to the Great War, the People's Republic of Asia instead opted to use sailing vessels to traverse the seas.
Upon their arrival, the PRA's military forces realized the situation was more complex in Africa and the Arabian Peninsula than in Asia. Whereas the People's Republic represented a trusted Pre-War government to most Asians, Africa did not have the same ingrained relationship, and was not nearly as willing to join forces and incorporate itself into the PRA. As a result, the PRA had made efforts to appease the African tribes which controlled the region, providing generous trades of technology for oil and other resources. The PRA became quickly well-renowned, and their technology began to spread across the tribes of the continent, providing previously starving tribesmen the tools to grow crops in the difficult terrain.
In 2255, when the European Union's scouts discovered the situation in Africa, the People's Republic made contact with the EU, as well as the Reborn Coalition of Soviet Nations. The EU has maintained a reserved diplomatic relation with the Republic, strained by Pre-War history and the current difficulties with annexing Africa. However, the RCSN has had a more amicable reaction to the PRA, and has become a steadfast trading partner, allowing for the introduction of European and Asian technologies to both regions.
The PRA has set itself to reclaim the wastelands for the survivors. To this end, much of its funding is oriented towards the military, guarding its territory against mutants, raiders and slavers, while relentlessly expanding into new areas. However, housing, food and other national responsibilities have not been neglected. Within the PRA, housing and food are guaranteed to citizens, so long as they are working in some fashion.
- Food, housing and security are guaranteed to all members who are in some way aiding the PRA
- Slavery and raiders are not tolerated, as they pose a serious threat to the stability of the PRA
- Like the Society, the PRA is not a democracy. The leadership is composed of individuals who are trusted to protect the people
- Currently, the military recieves priority funding. However, after present problems are stabilized, the PRA intends to reduce the military in favor of infrastructure and domestic assistance
While replication of technology has not recieved as much funding as military manufacturing, scavenged Pre-War technology has given the PRA a significant advantage. Cloaking and lasers are a common site in important military engagements.
Class: Fast, Infiltrator
Role: Military Commander
Mao Anying is the current military commander of the People's Republic of Asia. Joining the military at the age of 18, he found his way into the 32nd Scout's Division, largely dedicated to small guerilla tactics. His excellent performance in the field earned him a great amount of respect, and he pushed the PRA to focus on more efficient guerilla tactics. With his rise to command, he has switched the focus from large military maneuvers to small, close-knit strike teams which hunt out raiders and other significant threats to the People's Republic.
Class: Smart, Field Scientist
Role: Field Scientist
Liu Songlin is a Pre-War Ghoul, and the People's Republic's foremost expert on Pre-War technology. Her work in ruined cities on advanced medical equipment has allowed the PRA to recreate life-saving machinery, including the limited ability to produce Stimpacks and Rad-X. Close exposure to the ruins of cities previously filled with civilians, memories of the day the bombs fell, and her own Ghoul nature has left her with a personal vendetta against the former United States. Contact with the NCR has pushed her to begin the synthesis of a viral agent that would decimate the New California Republic, the Music Appreciation Society and Caesar's Legion.
The People's Republic of Asia has been dealing with local problems, but if it were to contact the other major tribes, here are its likely relations with them:
- Music Appreciation Society: While the People's Republic has adapted to an extremely different situation, the Society and PRA have extremely similar aims, philosophies and methods, and are close allies. Trade between the two is quite free, and largely involve surplus PRA weapons and MApS pharmaceuticals. Due to the Pre-War history of China and the U.S., the PRA and NCR simply don't trust one another, and both are wary of the Society's associations with one another. The Society struggles to moderate interactions between the two, though mounting tensions will likely force MApS to align with one or the other.
- New California Republic: The Pre-War history of these three organizations still tempers the tribes' opinions of one another. Trade is limited and political relations are strained. The geographic separation of these nations is largely what allows them to cooperate as much as they do.
- Caesar's Legion: The Legion is too occupied with its fortifications and plots against the NCR and MApS to have had much contact off of the continent. While it has been slowly pushing too the east coast of North America, it simply will not spare the forces required to contact or fight off continent. This being said, the Legion is almost entirely opposed to any governance style other than its own, and has no more patience for the Eurasian tribes than the North American ones.
- European Union: The Pre-War history between the two regions has made relationships difficult. Furthermore, the PRA's influence in northern Africa has made it difficult for the EU to appeal to the African tribes, which may lead to conflict.