Pantherian (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Pantherians are, above all else, a curious people. They are often adventurous and whimsical, loving and living life to its fullest. This leads a natural optimism and cheer that is especially uplifting to the spirits of those around them, and makes them welcome almost anywhere they might wander.
Pantherians are diminutive and lithe humanoids that typically stand somewhere approaching four feet in height. They have skin that ranges from light tans to darker shades, and is covered in varying degrees of fur appropriate to their lineage—these catfolk can be divided into five "tribes" based on their fur patterns, those tribes being lionfolk, tigerfolk, jaguarfolk, leopardfolk, and snow leopardfolk. Their pupils are slitted, often compared to the felines they resemble or the fiends that originally created their kind. There is a natural grace to these beings that often reminds observers of the elves, and those facial features that are not feline are often also compared to the elves; this is fitting, when one considers the first Pantherians were mostly elves, before fiends committed their unholy experiments upon them.
Pantherians' ubiquitous curiousity means that they often seek to learn about other races cultures and practices, sometimes even adopting them. The catfolk can be found in all walks of life and are often amongst the more popular citizens of whatever settlement they call home. Most other races find the Pantherians outgoing and friendly demeanor to be a welcome change from the wariness commonly found in intelligent races.
Pantherians are free-spirited and often mischievous, but are also naturally good-hearted. They tend very strongly towards the Neutral Good and Chaotic Good alignments.
Pantherians are well adapted for heavily forested environments, but they are comfortable living almost anywhere.
As descendants of Elves, Pantherians often worship Elvish deities. However, they are a highly variable and adaptable people, so it is not at all uncommon to find them worshiping whoever the dominant god of the area they have decided to settle in is.
Pantherians almost always speak Feline fluently, and often speak Common. Their ancestry as elves modified by fiendish experimentation leads to many learning to speak Elvish, and some curious few to speak Abyssal or Infernal.
Pantherians are given names at birth, although they are sometimes given surname-like titles later in life to recognize great deeds or accomplishments.
Male Names: Amina, Aron, Doren, Espen, Even, Leif, Mette, Parr, Rune, Simo, Sindre, Tero, Tor, Tord
Female Names: Ada, Eila, Elna, Elvi, Liina, Lise, Maiken, Mailin, Mina, Raili, Saara, Sanna, Suvi, Thea, Trine
- +4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution: Pantherians are agile, and their character tics are generally endearing to other races; however, they are smaller than many other races and comparatively frail.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Pantherians are, at their simplest, humanoids with bestial features.
- Small: As a Small creature, a Pantherian gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Pantherian base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-light vision.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks.
- +4 racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks.
- Light Build: Pantherians cannot wear heavy armor.
- Natural Climber: Pantherians move at their full movement speed when climbing, instead of 1/4. When a Pantherian takes a -5 penalty to attempt accelerated climbing, they move half-again their movement speed. When a Pantherian takes a -20 penalty to attempt rapid climbing, they move twice their movement speed. When a Pantherian attempts to catch a falling character, the weight of that character and all of his or her equipment cannot exceed twice the Pantherian's heavy load limit, or the attempt will automatically fail.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Feline. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Elvish, Infernal.
- Favored Class: Scout. (Complete Adventurer, pg 10)
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|42 years||96 years||125 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 6"||+2d4||30 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2' 4"||+2d4||25 lb.||× (1) lb.|