Oni, Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Oni (3.5 Race)
Oni are brutish mountain dwellers. On any typical day, Oni are happiest when they are either drinking until they're on the ground or exchanging colossal blows with anyone who opposes them. When confronting an Oni, might makes right, and if you can beat an Oni in a physical challenge they will greatly respect you for it. Oni will almost always use their force of personality to persuade others. Oni are demons, and are treated as such by the more developed areas.
Oni look much like humans with a few critical differences. First, Oni are slightly larger, perhaps 1-2 inches taller, and many sport wider shoulders and are more sinewy than humans are. Although not necessarily musclebound, an Oni's frame belies the creature's immense strength and durability. Oni sport a pair of arrow shaped ears that point directly behind them and slightly to the side. The largest difference in an Oni's appearance from humans is their horns. All Oni sport one or more horns on their head, the most common number being 1-3 but some have as many as 6 or even more. These horns come in a variety of shapes and colors, but most are relatively straight and almost all are large enough to gore an unfortunate victim of an Oni brawl with ease. An Oni's hair is usually very vibrant in color, and can have a range of hairstyles as varied as Humans. Their eyes usually have some sort of red tint to them if they aren't primarily red already, and their skin ranges from normal human skin tones to vibrant reds and blues. Although this description explains the Oni in their normal form, the Oni also have an inbred ability to magically enlarge themselves to monstrous proportions once every so often. A particularly wise Oni has the ability to grow to the size of 12 feet or more, and their muscles bulk up slightly when entering this enlarged state.
Oni can either be universally sociable or downright unpleasant, and their relations with others can often be greatly enhanced or greatly diminished depending on whether they are drunk or sober, respectively (though the opposite is sometimes true of some Oni). Generally, Oni get along modestly with most all races, but they dislike the cowardice of Kappas, and outright Despise Kitsune for their tendency towards fighting with illusions instead of a fair fight, which they are automatically unfriendly towards both. When meeting new people, Oni are quick to decide whether they like or dislike that person, and it is quite difficult to change an Oni's opinion of you after first impressions, for better or worse. Those they do not like they have little patience for, which is likely one of the reasons the race is so violent.
Although technically Demons themselves, almost all Oni are far too busy fulfilling their own hedonistic desires for drink and fighting to have much concern for the fighting between good and evil. Their vast lack of interest in most affairs of the world and their free spirited (and violent) nature mean that most oni are Chaotic Neutral or True Neutral, exceptions abound.
Oni are too greatly feared to be able to live comfortably in Human lands for the most part, however those who do not find a home with other races often wind up building communities high in cloud covered mountains and hills. In these mountain Oni villages, the biggest commercial pursuits can invariably be found in the Breweries and the Arenas.
Oni are usually too busy merrymaking to care about religion, but they still believe in the animistic ways of other races.
Oni speak Common. If an oni ever becomes smart enough to learn another language, they usually learn the language of their comrades.
Oni name their children names that have meanings regarding physical prowess, emphasizing the importance of strength in Oni society.
Male names: Akio, Daiki, Hiroki, Isamu, Iwao, Katashi, Katsu, Kenta, Mikio, Ryota, Ryuu, Takeshi
Female names: Chiasa, Chiyoko, Hisako, Kaede, Masuyo, Mitsuru, Momoe, Noriko, Rin, Takako, Yasu
Oftentimes, Male and Female names are used interchangeably.
- +4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma (this cannot bring any ability score below 1, and cannot bring Intelligence below 3): Oni are exceptionally strong for their size and frame, and are far more durable and capable of staving off the effects of poisons and other bodily attacks, however their single mindedness means they have little knowledge and their demonhood leaves much to be desired in persuasive prowess not involving Intimidation. They are exceptionally good at fighting and drinking, but not much else.
- Outsider (Native, Evil, Chaotic): Oni are direct descendants of Demons, however they remain in the normal world just as other living beings do.
- Medium size: As medium creatures, Oni in their natural state gain no bonus for their size, nor do they suffer any penalties.
- Oni base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: Oni have Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Force of Personality: Oni are good at intimidation, and do not suffer Charisma penalties to any Intimidate checks they make.
- Gore attack: The Oni's horns count as a natural weapon as follows: Gore 1D4. The Horn grows and shrinks with the Oni, so if the Oni becomes Enlarged, its Gore attack rises one size category along with it.
- Master Drinkers: Oni gain a +4 Racial Bonus on all Fortitude saves to avoid becoming Intoxicated and all Alcohol related saves.
- Enlarge Person 1/week: Any Oni with a Wisdom score of at least 12 can cast Enlarge Person on herself once per week. Her caster level is equal to her total class levels for this ability.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Barbarian.
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|2000 years||4000 years||8000 years||+20d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+4d6||130 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 8"||+4d6||90 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|