Oath of the Undeath (5e Subclass)
From D&D Wiki
Oath of Undeath
Taking the Oath of Undeath is a declaration that you are favored by your deity, championed to a degree lofty enough to warrant your chosen deity to wrest you back from the depths of the underworld to serve them once more. Due to the nature of this oath. A paladin belonging to the Oath of Undeath strives to bring glory to the deity they worship. Many are said to embody darkness and death itself, going to unimaginable lengths to further the goals and machinations of their god. They hold themselves to a dubious moral standard, dependent on the deity they follow. Their armor and weapons are usually all black depicting undeath and sometimes contain traces of scarlet depicting the fires of the underworld from which they have been summoned.
This oath is favored for paladins who are Champions of Death
- Undeath Revelations
Though the exact words and strictures of the Oath of the Undeath vary, paladins of this oath share these revelations.
- Know your enemy. Collect information about your enemies when possible.
- Detachment. Never allow personal affairs to get in the way of your goal.
- Balance. When aware of a disturbance in the natural order, you must takes steps to correct the problem..
- Power. Assert your superiority through unwavering confidence and domination.
- Composure. Kill with no emotion. Pity is for mortals, you are not one.
- Self-Assurance. Your actions are justified, and you need not answer for them. However you treat others, that is what they deserve.
- Determination. When you choose your path, you do not slow; you do not deviate, and you never stop.
- Oath of Undeath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.
|3rd||cause fear, false life|
|5th||blindness/deafness, ray of enfeeblement|
|9th||animate dead, speak with dead|
|13th||blight, shadow of moil|
|17th||danse macabre, negative energy flood|
- Channel Divinity
Starting at 3rd level, you gain the following channel divinity options.
- Death Surge. You can use your Channel Divinity to call upon dark energies to imbue you with dread power. As an action, you present your holy symbol, and you are encased in dark flames. You gain a bonus to AC equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) for 1 minute. In addition, any area of dim light within 10 feet of you becomes darkness, and bright light becomes dim light in further 20 feet. You can see through the darkness created by this feature.
- Invoke Fealty. You can use your Channel Divinity to compel a foe to kneel before you. As an action, you point to a creature within 10 feet of you, filling it with fear and awe. The creature must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or fall prone, groveling for 1 minute. While groveling, the creature’s speed is reduced to 0 and it cannot take actions or reactions. The target has advantage on its saving throw if it has more hit points than you. The creature repeats the saving throw at the end of each of its turns. On a success, the effect ends.
- Deathly Aura
Starting at 7th level, living creatures of your choice within 10 feet of you take 1d4 necrotic damage at the start of your turn.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.
- Dread Zenith
Starting at 15th level, when you hit a creature with a smite (feature or spell), you can cause additional 2d6 necrotic damage. You can cause this additional damage a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1), but only once per turn, and regain your uses of it after a long rest.
- Ghastly Terrain
Starting at 20th level, you can use an action to cause the area within 30 feet of you to become a barren wasteland. Creatures within that area that are hostile to you have disadvantage on Constitution and Wisdom saving throws.
Also, that area counts as difficult terrain for creatures. All plants and beasts have disadvantage on all saving throws while within this area.
This area lasts for 1 hour, and once you use this feature, you can't do it again until you finish a long rest.