Oath of the Legion (5e Subclass)
From D&D Wiki
Oath of the Legion
When fighting off the forces of evil, sometimes a person has to do the unthinkable to defeat those forces of evil. Nobody knows this lesson more than a paladin of the oath of the legion. To be chosen as a paladin of this order is equal parts a celebration and a funeral, because this order always ends in a sorrowful death.
When one of these paladins chooses to walk this path, they have made a grand sacrifice. These paladins must take part in a powerful ritual that forcibly binds swarms of lesser demons and fiends into their armor against their will. And from then on these knights use this armor to ascend past a level of power most mortal men or women could dream of, and become a holy warrior simply known as a "Legion" whose sole purpose is to use this power to hunt and consume other demons and fiends to protect the material planes from their wicked incursion.
Once the demons in there armor grow too strong, The paladins are expected to perform a ritual that will destroy both the armor and themselves. Or their fellow members of the order will hunt them down and perform the ritual for them.
- Tenets Of The Legion
- Be the bastion of humanity. You are humanities guardian against the threats from beyond the material plane, protect mankind at all cost.
- Listen not to the voices. Do not let the demons control you, they are simply tools to be used to destroy the wicked and are to be considered nothing more.
- Remember your martyrdom. Your eventual death is to be an honorable one, make sure you make your sacrifice is worth it.
- Fear not your strength. Your demonic powers were paid for with your life, make full use of them.
- Oath Spells
|3rd||inflict wounds, cure wounds|
|5th||rime's binding ice, branding smite|
|9th||life transference, vampiric touch|
|13th||banishment, shadow of moil|
|17th||negative energy flood, circle of power|
- Demonic Influence
Starting at 3rd level when you choose this oath, some of your features are forever tainted by the powers of the abyss. You lose the Lay on Hands and Divine Sense features, gaining the following features below instead:
- Tainted Armor . When you finish a long rest, you can touch a suit of heavy armor, turning it into your tainted armor. Your bound armor can never be removed from you against your will. While wearing this armor, you are considered a fiend for the purposes of being detected (like for the detec evil and good spell). You can't use your Oath of Legion features if you are not donning your tainted armor. You can have a single tainted armor at the same time.
- Demonic Influence . Due to having multiple demons bound to you, there powers have begun to seep into you at a physical level. You gain darkvision up to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision, your darkvision range increases to 120 feet. In addition, you know how to speak, read and write in abyssal.
- Abyssal Backlash. While wearing the armor, you can cast the spell Hellish Rebuke without spending spell slots, a number of times equal to half your paladin level (rounded up). You can spend multiple uses of this feature at once to cast the spell at a higher level (for example, spending two uses at once cast this spell as a 2nd-level spell). Alternatively, when you take fire damage, you can spend a use of this feature to halve the damage taken, and gain resistance to fire until the end of your next turn. You regain your uses of this feature after finishing a long rest.
- Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following Channel Divinity options
- Armor of Contempt. As a bonus action, you can use the demon's rage to harden you. For the next minute, you become resistant to fire damage, and gain a bonus of equal to half your proficiency bonus to your AC. This bonus is not cumulative to the bonus granted by magical armor.
- Rage of the Demon.As a bonus action, you can channel the rage of the demons into your strikes to fuel your power. For the next minute, your melee attacks cause an additional damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1). Roll a d4 when you activate this feature to determine the damage type: 1- cold, 2- fire, 3- poison, 4-necrotic.
- Drink of their Suffering
At 7th level, when you are gravely injured the demons feed on your suffering, the demons within your armor allow you to enter a demonic frenzy. As a reaction to being reduced to less than half of your maximum number of hit points, you can enter in this frenzied state, gaining resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, slashing damage from non-magical attacks for 1 minute.
Once you use this feature, you can't do it again until you finish a short or a long rest. At 18th level, you can use this feature twice between rests.
- Tainted by Hatred
Starting at 15th Level, you begin to let the demons guide you, calling upon the demons to empower your strikes. Whenever you hit an enemy with a melee attack, you can roll 1d6 and apply the correspondent effect on the table below. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier, and regain your uses after finishing a long rest.
|1||Your strike aims to main the enemies eyes. The enemy is blinded for 1 minute or until they pass a Constitution saving throw against your Spell save DC|
|2||Your strikes hit with abyssal power. The enemy is pushed back 10 feet, and if they collide with another enemy or solid object they must make a strength saving throw against your spell save DC or take 2d8 force damage on a failed roll, and half as much on a success.|
|3||Your weapon drips with demonic bile. The enemy is poisoned for 1 minute or until they pass a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC.|
|4||Your weapons strike disorientates the enemy, the enemy is stunned for 1 minute or until they pass a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC .|
|5||Your blows drain the life force of the enemy. Your hit gives the enemy 1 level of exhaustion for 1 minute or until they pass a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC|
|6||The hatred of your blows seeps into the enemies very soul, the enemy is inflicted with the frightened status for 1 minute or until they pass a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC |
- We Are Legion
The demons have grown so powerful that you can barely control yourself. At 20th level, you can let the Demonic Armor overtake you as you transform into a demonic engine of rage using a bonus action. You gain the following Traits and abilities for 1 minute or until you are knocked unconscious
- You become large, if you are smaller.
- You gain advantage on all Strength checks.
- When you take damage from an attack made by a creature within 5 feet, you can make a attack against it using a reaction.
- You let loose a shriek fueled by hundreds of demons. As an Action you can unleash a bellowing roar and all creatures within 30 feet of you must make a Constitution saving throw against your spell save DC, or become stunned until the end of your next turn.
- Your creature type becomes fiend (demon) for the duration.
once you use this feature, you can't use it again until a long rest