Oath of Courage (5e Subclass)
From D&D Wiki
Oath of Courage
This is a Sacred Oath that can be taken by paladins.
Paladins who take the Oath of Courage ride a fine line between foolishness and bravery, wading into throngs of foes and acting as an invincible beacon to their allies. While many of these paladins have fallen valiantly in battle their last moments are usually nothing short of legendary. Paladins in this order will always be the first onto a battlefield and the last to leave and believe that every battle is winnable no matter how dire the circumstances.
Taking this oath is no small thing though as the power granted to its paladins is from each person’s spirit instead of an overseeing god. Many too foolhardy warriors die before they can awaken their potential and other too cautious warriors fail to truly exemplify the oath and have it fail them when they need it. Most paladins in this order are akin to majestic lions, fighting the good fight no matter the odds.
Tenets of Courage
Since the strength of this oath is unique to each of its paladins it has no definitive tenets, however the following is a rough collection that most seem to follow.
Be a beacon of hope every battlefield is a grim place, be the light that brings hope to your allies within them.
Be an inspiration to all you meet every person you meet has the spark of greatness within them, it is your duty to help them realize it.
Be brave no matter the situation even against fearful odds you can and will prevail, know this and your allies will as well.
- Oath Spells
You gain Oath spells at the Paladin Levels listed:
|3rd||Healing Word, shield|
|5th||Enhance Ability, shatter|
|9th||Haste, mass healing word|
|13th||Fire Shield, stoneskin|
|17th||Flame Strike, Mass Cure Wounds|
When you take this Oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
- Turn The Tables. As an action on your turn you summon your inner spirit to flare out and deal force damage to all creatures within 10 feet of you equal to half your level multiplied by the amount of creatures within 10 feet of you.
- Brave Bravado. As a bonus action on your turn you release a mighty battle cry with great gusto. All sentient creatures that can see and hear you within 30 feet of you must make a wisdom saving throw or be forced to make at least one melee weapon attack against you if possible on their next turn.
Starting at 7th level, you gain the ability to continue fighting not just in spite of your wounds, but with their aid as well. If you have less than your maximum hp then you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls and a +1 bonus to armor class. If you have less than half your maximum hp then this bonus instead becomes +3 and +2 respectively and if you have less than 1/10th of your maximum hp then this bonus instead becomes +4 and +3 respectively.
Against All Odds
Starting at 15th level, you develop an uncanny ability that allows you to continue on even while at death’s door. When you are reduced to 0 hitpoints you do not fall unconscious, but must still make death saving throws. Additionally, when you take damage while at 0 hp it only counts as 1 failed death saving throw and you may fail 1 additional death saving throw before dying.
At 20th level, as an action, you can cause yourself to become a paragon of the fighting spirit. For one minute, you gain the following benefits:
- you have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons.
- when you have 1 or 0 hitpoints you gain a +5 and 4 bonus to damage rolls and armor class
- you have advantage on death saving throws and may fail up to 6 death saving throws before dying.
This effect ends early if you are incapacitated or die. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.