Nagualdls, Avian (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Avian nagualdls have patterned skin which can be speckled, barred, or have subtle patches of color. Their skin colors and patterns have a variety of subtle colors, from pale pink to black to muted blues, yellows, or anything else. Their hair, however, can be much more vibrant, and of any color, from the dark or pale to the very bright rainbow. They average a little larger than lightfoot halflings. They wear colorful clothing made of furs and light materials, with feathers and claws as accents.
Nagualdls have a given forename and a surname which they choose for their self sometime after they come of age. Sometimes a surname is gifted by nagualdl leaders to someone who has performed an enormous achievement.
Example Surnames: Wind Of Destiny, Sunrise Chaser, Loves The Moon, Sings To Stars, Raptor, Sees In Dark, Flies Highest, Silent Claw-Catching
Example Male Names: Ganbataar, Azad, Makhmud, Nurislam, Yeruslan, Ömarbatar, Sukhrab, Temir, Nergui
Example Female Names: Bat-Era, Gulnara, Enkhjargal, Tsetseg, Inzhu, Khubri, Arangerel, Balota, Sezim
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
- Humanoid (Nagualdl).
- Small: As a Small creature, an avian nagualdl gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Avian nagualdl base land speed is 20 feet.
- Shapeshifting (Su): Avian nagualdls are natural shapeshifters and can take the form of different birds.
- Wild Empathy (Ex): Nagualdl get the Wild Empathy ability as a racial trait.
- Low-Light Vision: A nagualdl can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Nagualdan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Goblin, Orc, Gnoll, Draconic, Giant, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass nagualdl's rogue class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
- Level Adjustment: +0
Shapeshifting (Su): Nagualdls enjoy a special connection with nature and, particularly, the wildlife in it. Avian nagualdls are born with the ability to shapeshift into any non-magical bird.
In order to shapeshift, a nagualdl has to have a close bond with an animal. It doesn't have to be an animal companion (as per the ranger or druid), but she has to have spent 3 days in the animal's company and its attitude toward her must be friendly. There is no limit to the number of animal friends a nagualdl can bond with.
When she has bonded with an animal, the nagualdl can at will shapeshift into that animal's species. Shapeshifting is a standard action. Any armor worn and weapons held and magically disappear, and reappear upon returning to her nagualdl form. She cannot speak languages while in her animal form. She can shapeshift back into her nagualdl form at will, or will be forced to shift back into her nagualdl form after 12 hours, or if knocked unconscious, or if she falls asleep.
When in an animal form, a nagualdl gains the animal's Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity scores, but she retains her nagualdl form's Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. She gains all of the animal's natural attacks, special qualities, and special abilities such as scent. Her animal form's Hit Dice cannot exceed her character levels. If her hit points in her animal form drop below her nagualdl form's hit points, when she returns to her nagualdl form she is at 0 hit points.
An avian cannot shapeshift into a mammal or aquatic animal. If one of the nagualdl's bonded animal friends dies, or she is unable to see, hear, or interact with it, after 10 days she will no longer be able to shapeshift into that species via that friend's influence. If the animal is resurrected or returned to her presence, she will immediately regain the ability to shapeshift via that friend.
Wild Empathy (Ex): A nagualdl can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The nagualdl rolls 1d20 and adds her class levels and her Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result.
The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.
To use wild empathy, the nagualdl and the animal must be able to study each other, which means they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time. A nagualdl can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but she takes a –4 penalty on the check.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||50 years||63 years||+2d12 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3'3"||+2d4||35 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||3'1"||+2d4||30 lb.||× (1) lb.|