Monstrous Spidernoid (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
These creatures have evolved from their Vermin roots to become more intelligent. While some were hatched naturally, most were created by a large group of Drow cultists.
Monstrous Spidernoids have retained their ancestral tendencies: Hive-like structures, aggressive to outsiders in general, and somewhat sneaky.
Monstrous Spidernoids tend to be about the same height as a human with an overall more slender build. This is about where similarities end. Monstrous Spidernoids have entirely red eyes, two needle-like fangs that sprout from their upper mouths, pale grey to shiny black skin, and nearly any dark hair color (Even unusual ones like Dark Purple). They also have four retractable spider appendages, which is used for traversing spider webs and climbing in general. Finally, they have an arachnid-like abdomen that grows from their lower backs.
As far as most other races go, Monstrous Spidernoids tend to be xenophobic. The only race that really is able to connect with this one is a Drow. Though some individuals break the mold.
Monstrous Spidernoids tend to be some form of chaotic. Most often they lean chaotic neutral or chaotic evil. However, exceptions do exist.
Temperate Forests or Caves.
Spider-like deities are the ones most likely to be worshiped by Monstrous Spidernoids.
Monstrous Spidernoids speak Undercommon naturally. Spidernoids have been known to speak Common, Infernal, and/or Abyssal fairly often. Celestial is a rather rare one, as it is more the good aligned Spidernoid
The queen chooses what each of her children are named, as is tradition. Usually it is some variation or reuse of known Driders, Bebiliths, and other spider-like beings of notable importance.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Monstrous Spidernoids retain their ancestral talent for dexterity and agility, but are not very bright and have hostile tendencies.
- Monstrous Humanoid: While they have some similarities to humans, they do have distinct spider-like qualities that make them seem as much spider as human.
- Medium: No bonuses or penalties associated with Medium size.
- Monstrous Spidernoid base land speed is 30 feet: They also possess the ability to climb 20 feet, having retained their modes of movement from their ancestral roots
- Darkvision: Monstrous Spidernoids' eyes have developed, replacing their ancestor's Tremorsense. They are able to see out 30' in total darkness. However, they can only see in black and white.
- Bite (Ex): Monstrous Spidernoids have a natural bite attack (but are not proficient with it) that deals 1d6 Piercing damage plus carries a poison. The poison has a Fortitude DC of 12. Failure means the victim takes 1d4 Strength Damage. This is a secondary attack. Monstrous Spidernoids have been known to train to use this attack and even use unarmed attacks along with it.
- Web (Ex): Monstrous Spidernoids are able to spin webs. Eight times per day, a Monstrous Spidernoid can cast webbing out 50' that acts like a net able to restrain 1 creature of Large Size, or double the number of creatures per size category smaller (2 Medium, 4 Small, 8 Tiny, etc).
They can also use their webs (without using up any uses per day) to grant a +2 Circumstance bonus to Climb checks. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one Medium-sized creature.
An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check (DC = Monstrous Spidernoid's Constitution Score) or burst it with a Strength check (DC= Constitution Score + 4). Both are standard actions.
Monstrous Spidernoids often create sheets of sticky webbing averaging 30 feet square. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC (10 + Character Level)(max DC 20) Spot check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has 6 hit points, and sheet webs have damage reduction 5/—.
A monstrous spidernoid can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.
- Monstrous Spidernoids have a +8 racial bonus to Climb checks and are able to take 10 on Climb checks.
- Automatic Languages: Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Infernal, Abyssal, Celestial.
- Favored Class: Rogue.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|25 years||35 years||50 years||+2d4 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||115 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||80 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|