Mitani (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
They once roamed territories spanning thousands of kilometers and were kings of the land. However, once humans started cutting down large swathes of land for farming, they were pushing into smaller and smaller areas. Their hunting grounds shrank and their numbers have dwindled.
The Mitani are a proud kind that tend to operate solo or within small groups. They build their tribal settlements in recessed pits dug into forest floors where they will actually have the advantage in the event of a raid. Tribes usually do not associate with others, but hold no ill-will to towards them either. These creatures hunt as a lifestyle. The action is more than sport, but an uneducated spectator will confuse the wolf-kin's attitudes toward hunting as such of a blood-crazed fanatic. Mitani home dwellings are crafted by the few gifted enough to construct buildings. Tribes have a sort of caste system where those who are able to do something the rest cannot will spend 80% of their time using that gift for the betterment of the tribe. However, all Mitani hunt, care for the children, man guard posts, and oversee offerings to the gods in their respected offering tents. This rotation of roles leads a very breathable and functional closed society that rarely needs to step outside its range of influence.
The Mitani are a race of shady wolf-kin, native to dark forests and marshes, specializing in hunting and killing without being seen. They stand between 4 and 6 feet tall with broad shoulders and thick extremities. Weighing around 200 pounds, Mitani look more feral and crazed than the average canine/ wolf-kin humanoid. Their fur texture is only smooth while they're pups. Once they reach the age of 4, their fur begins to fan out and will grow into two lengths. The first length is a base coat, usually 2-4 inches long, thick and a dark color. The second length applies to groups of 20-45 follicles that space themselves evenly across the Mitani's body. These can grow somewhere between 7-15 inches long and are typically a different color than the base. Where the base is uniform in length, the second is not. A deviation of 2-5 inches is expected from the maximum length. This layer will also tend to have the longest growths at the backs of the elbows, the nape of the neck, or at the backs of their reverse jointed knees. As the growths get further from the Mitani's individual focal points, the growths decrease in length evenly. If a Mitani does not have a focal point, the second layer will evenly disperse the shorter and longer growths across the body. Mitani eyes are almost human in shape, but have slits for pupils like a snake.
Mitani will accept the presence of any creature other than humans. They have a distaste for the people who caused the Mitani suffering. They will attempt to be the 'alpha' of the group if they are the lone Mitani, since they believe their heritage of hunting expertise puts them on top.
Forests and areas where stealth is a prominent option.
Mitani pay tribute to various gods of the night, hunt, forest, etc. They believe their constant care of their home, love of hunting, and instinctive nocturnal nature are worship enough and don't have a set religion.
The Mitani have their own language and can communicate with other canine creatures easily, but have accepted Common out of necessity for their recent need of outward cultural interaction.
Mitani are known by their family surname until they pass a rite of passage. If they survive, they will receive a name from the tribe clergy who consult with the god they believe is watching the child. Names are unisex.
Examples: Moon Soul Firsttree, True Strike Deepwater, Fire Howl Blacktooth, etc.
- +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, -2 Intellect, -2 Charisma. Mitani are fast, efficient hunters that rely on instinct and in-the-moment decisions. Their ferocious nature tends to repel most other beings.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Canine)
- Medium: Mitani gain no bonuses or penalties from their size.
- Mitari base land speed is 40 feet. Climb speed is 25 feet
- Unseen Predator (Su): May activate to gain a +15 to their next hide roll once a day. This bonus increases by +1 per level. At level 3, and ever 3 levels beyond, may activate once more per day. (1 at level 1, 2 at level 3, 3 at level 6, ect.)
- Darkvision out to 60 ft.
- Low-Light Vision
- Changing Coat (Su): Mitani will gain +3 cold resistance in temperatures lower than 40o Fahrenheit after being in the environment 2 hours. Once in areas warmer than the cold resistance is allowed, it receives -3 to Reflex saves and dexterity related skill rolls for 5 hours.
- Natural Hunter (Ex): +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls against animal class creatures.
- Natural weapons: 2 Claws, 1d4 damage. Bite, 1d6.
- Automatic Languages: Mitani, Common, Canine. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Halfling, Orc, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Rogue or Druid.
- Racial Hit Die: Mitani begin with one monstrous humanoid level, which has 1d8 HD, +1 BAB and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +2, and Will +2.
- Racial Skills: Erradiagos' monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Mitani have racial bonuses of +4 to Move Silently and Hide, +2 Listen checks. Class skills are Climb, Hide, Handle Animal, Intimidate, and Tumble.
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|60 years||80 years||110 years||+5d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 9"||+3d6||70 lb.||x (5d6) lb|
|Female||3' 8"||+3d6||65 lb.||x (5d6) lb.|