Metal Elemental Monolith, Death (3.5e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
DEATH METAL MONOLITH
|Death Metal Monolith|
|Size/Type:||Gargantuan Elemental (Extraplanar, Fire)|
|Hit Dice:||36d8+540 (702 hp)|
|Armor Class:||30 (-4 size, +9 Dex, +15 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 21|
|Attack:||Slam +40 melee (6d6+13/19-20 plus 6d6 fire plus disease)|
|Full Attack:||2 slams|
|Special Attacks:||Aura of rot, death scream, diseased, gorerot, heat, heavy (480' tornado++), metal mastery +8|
|Special Qualities:||Damage reduction 20/adamantine (15/-), darkvision 180', elemental traits, immune to disease, fear, fire, and sonic, lightning vulnerability|
|Saves:||Fort +27 Ref +21 Will +27|
|Abilities:||Str 37, Dex 28, Con 40, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 23|
|Skills:||Balance +14, Diplomacy +9, Escape Artist +19, Intimidate +24, Jump +33, Listen +20, Perform (keyboard, oratory, percussion, string, sing, wind) +41, Sense Motive +20, Spot +20, Tumble +21|
|Skill Tricks:||Acrobatic Backstab, Back on Your Feet, Clarity of Vision, Nimble Stand, Slipping Past, Spot the Weak Point, Twisted Charge|
|Feats:||Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Hold The Line, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Concealment, Pierce Magical Protection, Power Attack, Quicken Breath, Weapon Finesse[b]|
|Epic Feats:||Blinding Speed, Epic Will[b], Superior Initiative|
|Environment:||Elemental Plane of Fire, Paraelemental Plane of Metal|
|Alignment:||Usually chaotic neutral|
What you see is a gigantic, semi-humanoid form with a thick body and no head, its knees bent and wide-stanced because of its bulky shoulders and massive arms (similar to an earth elemental). It is made of reddish, crumpled metal, and it drips with pus, bubbling blood, and viscera which falls in a rain of sickening thuds. On closer inspection its metallic form is heated to a red glow, making the pus steam, the gore sizzle. The air stinks of rotten meat frying in the kitchen of the demented, attracting swarms of flies and vultures.
Death metal monoliths are impure, their metal scalding hot as deep within is a conduit to the Plane of Fire. Furthermore, they exude sickness and filth from corrupted positive energy feeding off their burning metallic nature, making them runny with diseased afterbirth. Their presence sparks wildfires of plague, which is unwelcome everywhere except certain layers of the Abyss. As such, they are unlikely to be in the thrall of any except demon cults or demigods of death and decay. They speak the same mix of Auran and Terran of lesser metal elementals, but much deeper and alarming, akin to a dire polar bear with its fur aflame. They just might be the most... talkative of the metal elementals, which only serves to disturb others even more.
The performances of a death metal monolith inspire horror with their growls and crushing beats. They wield their instruments as tools of torture, as weapons of destruction. It is enough for the calm-souled to beg for death.
Death metal monoliths are 64' tall and weigh almost 113 tons (225,280 lbs). They weigh so much their heavy attack treats the monolith as if it were colossal.
Death metal monoliths are direct fighters, rushing in to bash and burn all who anger them. They throw diseased meat at those they cannot reach with their fists or murderous vocals almost as an afterthought.
A death metal monolith's natural attacks are treated as adamantine for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
If you wish to use the house rule that multiplies a creature's maximum hit points by one-tenth its CR once it reaches CR 11, a death metal monolith would instead have 1,333 maximum hit points.
- Aura of Rot (Ex): The stench emanating from a death metal monolith is of unearthly potence. Within 300' of the monolith and for 4d6 rounds after leaving, creatures are nauseated unless they make a Fortitude save (DC 43), in which case they are instead sickened. This aura is 600' for creatures with the scent ability. Animals refuse to enter the aura without a DC 34 Handle Animal or wild empathy check, and are treated as panicked if forced in without a successful check. DC is Cha-based.
- Death Scream (Su): Once per 1d3 rounds as a standard action, a death metal monolith can use its 120'-cone breath weapon, and enemies not immune to fire damage or fire effects must make a Fortitude save (DC 43) or die, their body reduced to fine ash. If they make the save they take 18d6 fire and sonic damage (half is fire, the other half is sonic). If any creature is immune to death effects, they still take 18d6 fire and sonic damage (Fort save DC 43 half). DC's are Con-based.
- Disease (Su): Anyone within a death metal monolith's melee reach (20'), or hitting it with a natural weapon or unarmed strike, or grappling with it, must make a Fortitude save (DC 43) or contract the disease described under Gorerot.
- Gorerot (Su): As a standard action once every ten minutes, a death metal monolith can either launch a glob within 460' that explodes with gore in a 115' radius burst, or spray a volley of guts in a 115' radius burst around itself. The area becomes difficult terrain that the death metal monolith ignores.
- In either case, creatures in the area (or who come in contact with the gore) must make a Fortitude save (DC 43) or contract a horrible amalgam of filth fever, red ache, and slimy doom (immunity or resistance to any of those does not apply here): 1d4 Dex drain, 1d8 Con drain, and 1d6 Str drain, and while infected the character remains nauseated.
- It is a supernatural disease with a 1 round incubation time and the character must repeat the save once every minute (Fort DC 43) or take the ability drain again and remain nauseated. A successful save does not let the character recover, it merely suppresses the nausea and they don't take ability drain that time. Unlike most diseases, this continues until the creature reaches 0 Con and dies, becoming so much putrid flesh.
- The gore dries up and becomes non-infectious after one hour (though still remains difficult terrain until cleaned up), and is not subject to gentle repose or other such preservative magics. DC's are Con-based.
- Heat (Ex): A death metal monolith's body boils the air around it. Anyone within a death metal monolith's melee reach (20'), or hitting it with a natural weapon or unarmed strike, or grappling with it, or is hit by the monolith, automatically takes 6d6 fire damage with every hit.
- Metal Mastery (Ex): Gains a +8 to attack rolls against foes with metal armor or are made of metal, and foes take a -8 penalty on attack rolls with a metal weapon or appendage.
- Feats: Explained on the main metal elemental page if not in the SRD.
- Skill Tricks: Explained on the main metal elemental page.