Mela'xin (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The Mela'xin are the "spellcaster" caste, the caste of magic-wielders both arcane and divine. The wizards work as researchers and diplomats during peacetime. Their roles become "battlefield artillery," and coordinators during wartime.
The druidic Mela'xin act as healers and teachers of "Xinora's Word" (see religion). While at war, they provide healing and tactical support while on the battlefield, and use their wild shape abilities to provide information.
Often curious and ambitious, they seek out knowledge and recognition. Those taking to the road are usually in search of something relating to their research.
They are, along with the Meza'xin, the most likely to be adventurers.
The Mela'xin range between 5'6" - 6'0" (females) and 5'9" - 6'4" (males). Their frame is much like that of an elf, but much taller. Their skin is often pale in color. Eyes range from deep blue to a pale lavender, with bright purple eyes exceptionally rare, but possible.
The Mela'xin view other (non-Mesha'xin) races as inferior; subjects to be studied and understood, especially their weaknesses. However, should a war be started with the Mesha'xin, they will seek to eradicate the transgressor without mercy.
As the caste of spiritual leaders and teachers, they often play the part of instructor to the other Mesha'xin castes. This is done by instinct, not intent, and appears to be arrogance by other races.
Most are lawful neutral; some are true neutral. The concepts of good and evil are foreign to them, and chaos tends to react poorly with a caste system. What little "chaotic" element exists is primarily due to individuality.
The Mela'xin live with the other three castes (Mesha'xin, Meza'xin and Mena'xin) in secluded areas, often in volcanic regions where obsidian (the preferred building material for weapons) is readily available.
The Mela'xin firmly believe in the inevitability of fate. The religion is that of a cycle of life, death and rebirth. Death is not feared, but accepted as a temporary destination, a moment of respite in that cycle. As combat plays a significant role in this cycle, all Mela'xin are expected to have some adequacy in magical combat before being allowed to leave the homeland. The Mela'xin worship "Xinora", one of the first of the Mesha'xin. She is worshipped exclusively, but as she is not a god, she does not grant spells. Xinora is an ancient lich, and represents to all four castes of the Mesha'xin culture perfection. This is not in spite of their hatred of the undead(see below), but the cause of it. She is the epitome of their cycle, one who surrendered her life to step briefly into death, and now exists in a state of both. They consider all other undead to be inferior mockeries of Xinora.
Mesha'xin, Common is NOT an automatic language for them.
Names are acquired during the Rite of Awakening, in which the individual leaves for the crater of a volcano (see preferred lands) and during the rite, chooses their caste. Those who choose the Mela'xin caste are given a name by his/her parents. Surnames, as an individual family is relatively unimportant, consist of "al'"(for males) or "dal'" (for females), then the caste (ie "al'Mela). First names are similar to dark elven given names.
- Humanoid (Mesha'xin): They are humanoid, as the predecessors of the elves and humans, they are neither; hence the subtype.
- Aberration (Mela'xin): They are mutations brought about by a Mesha'xin undergoing the Rite of Awakening, which causes physical changes in his or her body.
- +2 Int, +2 Wis, -4 Str
- Mela'xin base land speed is 30 feet
- Favored enemy(undead)(Ex): Same as the ranger special ability on page 47 of the PHB, though it does not improve with level. The dogma of their religion teaches hatred of the undead, and the martial aspect of the culture demands each of its followers to be able to adequately combat such a threat.
- -2 on Diplomacy checks when dealing with those not of the Mesha'xin subtype, due to the belief of their inherent superiority.
- +2 Spellcraft due to constant training in the art of magic.
- May NOT take levels in Cleric: Xinora is not a god, and as such cannot grant spells. Clerics of other gods are generally viewed as misguided heathens.
- May use only Simple Weapons: The Mela'xin consider weapons training the tool of the other castes. A spell is weapon enough. However, spells can run out or be disabled; a good stick or dagger can come in handy.
- Automatic Languages: Mesha'xin (Common is NOT automatic).
- Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Ignan.
- Favored Class: Wizard or Druid.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|75 years||150 years||300 years||+4d12 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 8"||+d8||90 lb.||× (d4) lb.|
|Female||5' 6"||+2d3||75 lb.||× (d4) lb.|