Medusa (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Usually solitary creatures, Medusa normally shun the outside world, and inhabit places where they can be alone and undisturbed due to their fearsome appearance and reputation. Though they resemble Yuan-ti abominations and are often treated as such, they are similar to humans mentally quite shy and timid, never actually attacking with malice, but only in defence After years of solitude and shunning, their normally docile and timid nature changes to despise other races, which creates the stigma against them. When in a party, they are distrusted, save for the few that can push past their stigma and appearance. They rarely open up, but when they do, they can be quite bubbly, despite their usual demenours. There are a few who are not as kind, and wish ill upon those who shun them.
A reptilian race akin to Yuan-ti abominations, with a scaly body and a long serpentine body instead of legs. Allof them are female. They have a gorgeous human face, but in place of hair they have a mass of long, writhing, snakes. Their upper body is also coated with scales, beginning just below the neck. The underbelly is very sensitive, and can can detect movement and location of enemies when fully on the ground. Their serpentine body averages ~17 feet, with longer ones as long as 30 feet, and ends with a rattle.
Medusa have the ability to petrify living creatures into stone, this can be reversed either by the death of the medusa that turned them and a kiss from one. Their faces aren't completely human, they have snakelike amber eyes, a forked tongue, retractable snake fangs.
Medusa are shunned from all societies because of legends of medusa turning men to stone, even the Yuan-ti won't accept them, because they are too human for them.
Medusa are Lawful Evil.
Medusa are shunned from society, they have no definite homeland.
Because of their distance from society, many don't have a deity that they believe in. The few that do worship a deity tends to worship one of the dragon gods.
Common, but can learn Draconic, Yuan-Ti and Infernal.
Lack of social interaction means that they don't necessarily pick a name, but usually pick one up when travelling
- +4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, +4 Cha, +4 natural armor bonus.
- Medusa base land speed is 30 feet: They have a swim speed of 20.
- Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Darkvision 60 ft.
- Heat Sense (ex): a Medusa can sense all living, warm-blooded creatures within 30 ft.
- Scent (Ex): You can detect creatures within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the creature is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range.
- Constrict(Ex): on a successful grapple check, a medusa deals damage equal to 1d8 + her strength modifier.
- Poison(Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 14, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.
- Poison Immunity (Ex): As venomous creatures, Medusas have naturally strong immune systems and are immune to all poisons.
- Petrify(Sp): Once per day, a Medusa can turn an enemy to stone. The enemy must be living, have working eyes/vision, facing her, and be within 20 feet. This counts as a standard action, and can be avoided with a Dex saving throw.
- A Medusa's snakes hiss regardless of the appropriateness of the situation, -2 to move silently and hide checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any, besides secret languages. A Medusa can communicate with all snakes.
- Favored Class: Ranger or Rogue; Favored prestige Class: Assassin
- Level Adjustment: +5
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|187 years||281 years||375 years||469 years|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races [[Category:<!-race's type-> Type]] [[Category:<!-race's subtype; and remove line-> Subtype]] [[Category:<!-race's size-> Size]] [[Category:LA<!-#->]] [[Category:ECL<!-#->]]