Mechanus Signifer (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
|“||When you bear this flag, you are the most important member of the Legion. Meet that responsibility.||”|
|—Colin, Knight of Mechanus, To the Assembly|
A Mechanus Signifer is a flag-bearer for the Mechanus Knights. His abilities allow him to greatly enhance many allies at once, making him essentially to the success of the Legion. Without their flag-bearers, the armies of Mechanus would stand no chance against most of the enemies they face, but with a strong rallying flag, they can take down challenges many times stronger than any individual could.
Becoming a Mechanus Signifer
|Base Attack Bonus:||+11, or Spellcasting (see below).|
|Spellcasting:||6th level Incarnator spellcasting or +11 BAB (see above).|
|Patron:||Primus (God of Mechanus).|
|Special:||Must be an active part of a Mechanus Legion, and thus be a Mechanus Knight or Incarnator.|
|1st||+1||+2||+2||+2||Mechanus Advancement, Rallying Flag|
Class Skills (<-skill points-> + Int modifier per level)
Mechanus Signifers are high ranking Mechanus Knights chosen to bear the flag of their legion. They grant bonuses to all nearby allies and can cast spells to fortify them further. All of the following are class features of the Mechanus Signifer.
Mechanus Advancement: Signifer levels stack with Mechanus Knight levels for gaining Mechanus Armor, and Incarnator levels for spells. See Adaptation under Mechanus Signifers in the Game for other options.
Rallying Flag (Ex/Sp): At first level, a Mechanus Flagbearer gains a special flag, bearing the symbol of his legion or century. Each type of flag grants a moral bonus to all within 100 feet (an extraordinary effect), and can create an effect on all allies within 100 feet once per day with caster level equal to Mechanus Knight levels (a divine, spell-like effect). The flagpole has 40 hp and 20 hardness, and is made of adamantine, while the flag is magical and self-repairing.
- Ferrata (Ironclad): This flag bears a wolf's head and "I". Grants +2 to armor class, and can cast Stoneskin.
- Victrix (Victorious): This flag bears a bull's head and "II". Grants +1 to attack rolls, saves and skill checks, and can cast Greater Heroism.
- Firma (Steadfast): This flag bears a pegasus and "III". Grants +4 to ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped, and can cast Immovability.
- Gemina (Twin): This flag bears two human silhouettes and "IV". Creates an identical image adjacent to benefiting creatures, granting a 20% miss chance, and can cast Greater Mirror Image, which always grants 8 mirror images to start.
- Classica (Naval): This flag bears a trident and "V". Grants all allies +10 to swim checks and +4 to checks related to ships, and can cast Nixie's Grace.
- Equestris (Mounted): This flag bears a horse head and "VI". Grants all allies +4 to ride checks, and can cast Master Cavalier, Phantom Charge and War-Mount with one cast.
- Fulminata (Armed with Lightning): This flag bears a lightning bolt and "VII". Grants all allies +1d6 electric damage to their weapon attacks, and can cast Sakkratar's Triple Strike (but with shocking burst instead of flaming).
- Dux (Leader): This flag bears a crown and "VIII". Grants all allies Righteous Aura, and can cast Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (from Complete Divine).
Rallying Spells : At third level, a Signifer can make any spell or oil from Fuel Lines effect all allies within 100 feet. The spell cannot have a range of personal. He may use this ability once per day per spell level, up to a spell level equal to his level in Signifer.
Aquilifer: At fifth level, a Signifer becomes an Aquilifer, the highest ranking flag bearer in a legion. He gets an improved flag that allows the spell effect twice per day and doubles the static bonus, and the flag becomes indestructible as long as the Aquilifer is alive. Additionally, once per year, he can instantly summon his century (see Mechanus Century) (note until that page is made: 16 lantern archons, 28 melee Mechanus Knights and 12 archers each at first level, plus 3 third level Incarnators, 2 second level snipers, 4 second level Mechanus Knight shield bearers, and two Mechanus Knights or Incarnators at sixth and seventh level.)
Those who do not meet the requirements for becoming a Mechanus Signifer immediately lose all class abilities except Mechanus Advancement.
Playing a Mechanus Signifer
Combat: Mechanus Signifers support their allies, usually a mass surrounding them to get the most benefit of the flag's abilities.
Advancement: Further levels in Incarnator or Mechanus Knight are standard advancement paths.
Resources: The Legion provides food and shelter to all members within, as well as a salary in magic items as appropriate, in exchange for the Signifer's devoted services.
Mechanus Signifers in the World
|“||Twelth Legion, to me!||”|
Mechanus Signifers live exclusively in the Legion, fighting as necessary.
NPC Reactions: As a prestige class, Signifer doesn't change much in terms of reactions compared to the base class.
Mechanus Signifer Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), or Knowledge (Local) in an area which the Legion frequents can research Mechanus Signifers to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|11||Mechanus Signifers bear magic flags which support their allies.|
|16||Each flag has it's own unique aura as well as the ability to create a powerful effect once per day.|
|21||Some Signifers can cast other spells to affect all around them, not just the one stored in the flag.|
|26||The strongest of Signifers have flags that are entirely indestructible, with even stronger effects.|
Mechanus Signifers in the Game
Mechanus Signifers exclusively fight in the Legion. Fight a century of the Legion, and you will fight one of these.
Adaptation: This class can provide a flag-bearer for any army. If you don't want to use Mechanus Knight or Incarnator, you can change the requirement to 6th level casting in another class. You can also change the advancement to fit another class, granting full progression.
Sample Encounter: Seventh Legion Fulminata is a powerful enemy to make. If the party inadvertently (or intentionally) offends them, they could find themselves chased by a Century of the legion.
EL 15: Fulminata Century