Lin Kuei (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The personalities of each individual Lin Kuei are as varied as any other humanoid society. Lin Kuei can be reserved or outgoing, brash or meek. However, all Lin Kuei, personality regardless, revere honorable compatriots above all things.
The Lin Kuei, as scattered as they are throughout the realms, realize that their numbers are small, and that assimilation with other races is key to their survival. The Lin Kuei have made allies of almost all mountain races depending on the plane they have found themselves in. Non-Allied races may see the Lin Kuei as very off-putting or even threatening, however their allies acknowledge that they are trustworthy people.
Physically speaking, Lin Kuei mostly resemble humans, although they tend to be of a more muscular build than humans. Small traits distinguish Lin Kuei from humans; pale, perhaps even blue-tinged skin, piercing blue eyes, breath that fogs in the air. The body temperature of a Lin Kuei is also much lower than that of a human, causing them to exude cold instead of heat; an old wives' tale says that touching a Lin Kuei can give a person frostbite.
Lin Kuei tend to be very respectful and loyal party members, although if their trust is broken, it is almost impossible to regain. They are also quite wary of necromancers, and will often accuse any they see of conspiring with the Lin Kuei's sworn enemy, Quan-Chi.
With very few exceptions, Lin Kuei make brave soldiers, although their natural feelings of displacement outside of their home realm makes them slow to lead a party; most Lin Kuei prefer to serve one leader as they would their own clan's Grandmaster.
If a Lin Kuei witnesses a party member behaving cowardly or dishonorably, it is his natural instinct to confront them. A quick tempered Lin Kuei would perhaps even attack or threaten the perpetrator, although a calmer Lin Kuei would merely disgrace them and refuse to acknowledge their camaraderie.
Lin Kuei can be of any alignment, although given their displaced origins, tend to stay on somewhat neutral territory with the morality and ethics of others.
The Lin Kuei hail from the mountains of Earthrealm, surrounding their respective camps and cities with driving snow and irregular temperature drops to ward off intruders. Lone Lin Kuei found outside of Earthrealm often seem distant or misplaced. Bands of Lin Kuei often consider each other a family unit, willing to die for one another without hesitation.
There is no specified Lin Kuei religion, though one may worship whatever god he or she chooses. Gods associated with undeath or necromancy are almost never worshipped by Lin Kuei.
The Lin Kuei speak Common, and many speak the language of whatever mountainfolk they reside near.
Common practice among Lin Kuei is the giving of titles; a child may be born and named by his or her parents, but the child's actions in adulthood may grant it a title such as Sub-Zero or Frost. Occasionally, these titles stay within family lineage. Example titles: Tundra, Windchill, Coldsnap, Snowblind, Winterbane, Squall.
- +2 STR, +2 CON, +2 DEX: The Lin Kuei are formidable adversaries, powerful and quick, yet exude an aura of constant bitter cold, making them difficult to talk and relate to.
- Humanoid: Other than sundry minute differences, Lin Kuei look quite similar to humans.
- Medium: As medium creatures, Lin Kuei have no special size bonuses or penalties.
- Lin Kuei base land speed is 30 feet.
- Ice Ball (Su): Once per day, as a standard action, a Lin Kuei may launch an orb of cold, doing 1d8 cold damage to a single enemy within a 15 foot line of sight. This damage increases by 1d8 every four levels (ex: 1st lvl 1d8, 5th lvl 2d8, 9th lvl 3d8, etc.)That enemy must make a fortitude save (DC 10+ Lin Kuei's level). If the enemy fails the save, they are frozen for one round per the Lin Kuei's level, and cannot make move or attack actions.
- Cold Resistance (Su): Lin Kuei get +2 on all saves against any cold damage or cold related spell. Wintry weather, natural or unnatural, has no effect on a Lin Kuei's movement or Constitution.
- Mountain Feet (Ex): Due to their mountainous homeland, Lin Kuei climb at their normal land speed, and get +2 on all Climb checks.
- Cold Combat (Su): A successful melee attack from a Lin Kuei deals additional cold damage (1d4 per every four levels). This damage is not applied to any ranged or magical attacks.
- Ice Craft (Su): Beginning at level 5, as a free action, a Lin Kuei can freeze the moisture in the air into weapons and tools. These weapons usually break or evaporate after one round of use. At level 5, a Lin Kuei has access to simple melee weapons and shuriken. At 8, they can create one-handed martial melee weapons; at 10, they can create two-handed martial melee weapons. At level 14, a Lin Kuei can create exotic weapons. These weapons act as their regular (i.e., non-masterwork) counterparts in terms of weight and damage, but have no gold value and cannot be used more than once. Lin Kuei cannot recreate magical effects through Ice Craft.
- Outsider: Lin Kuei get -2 on all Knowledge checks not pertaining to ninjitsu or their home realm; being relatively new to the realms, Lin Kuei are still somewhat unknown of the ways of the world.
- Fear of Necromancy: The Lin Kuei hate and fear necromancy, and instinctively accuse any necromancer they encounter of relations with Quan-Chi. Because of their vendetta against him, Quan-Chi cursed all Lin Kuei to be weak against necrotic magic; all Lin Kuei take a -2 penalty on all saves against necromantic spells, and take an additionall 1d6 necrotic damage from any necrotic spell or weapon.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Giant, Dwarf, Elf, Kobold, Sign Language . Favored Class: Ninja. The Ninja is the natural class of the Lin Kuei, although Lin Kuei Monks are also quite popular. Less intelligent or fast-moving Lin Kuei make fine Fighters or Barbarians. Lin Kuei wizards and sorcerers are uncommon, and Lin Kuei necromancers are unheard of. Level Adjustment: +1
|18 years||+ 1d4||+ 1d6||+ 1d10|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|42 years||65 years||80 years||90 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 0 "||+ 1d4||11 lb.||× (1d20 ) lb.|
|Female||5' 8 "||+ 1d4||9 lb.||× (1d20) lb.|