Lesser Mudman (3.5e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
Basically the same as the Mudman, except it doesn't have all the added magic abilities, nor are they as tough.
This one is much closer to the 2e Monstrous Manual version.
|Hit Dice:||2d10+6 (17 hp)|
|Initiative:||-3 (-2 Dex, -1 muddy)|
|Speed:||20' (4 squares), climb 15'|
|Armor Class:||13 (-2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 13|
|Attack:||Slam +5 melee (1d6+4)|
|Special Attacks:||Hurl mud, suffocation|
|Special Qualities:||Blindsight 60', combine, DR 10/bludgeoning, muddy, ooze traits, spell vulnerabilities|
|Saves:||Fort +6, Ref -3, Will +1|
|Abilities:||Str 16, Dex 7, Con 16, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 1|
|Skills:||Hide -1*, Listen +4|
|Feats:||EnduranceB, Weapon Focus (Slam)|
|Organization:||Solitary, puddle (2-5), mudslide (3-15)|
|Advancement:||3-5 (Medium), 6-10 (Large), 11-19 (Huge), 20-37 (Gargantuan), 38-72 (Colossal), 73+ (Titanic)|
You grudgingly walk through the much surrounding a wizard's tower to reach the entrance. But a few steps in, the mud forms a large hand attached to a thick arm that grabs you! On all sides, rising from the mud are several dwarf-like shapes of mud. They close and throw chunks of mud at you, burying you. The one that grasped you rises and keeps you pinned while you struggle to breathe.
Lesser mudmen are formed in muddy pools where rivers contaminated by spell energy (even mildly magical ones, such as a stream eroding a magic structure) collect, evaporate, and concentrate the dweomer. Because they are beasts of magic, lesser mudmen are sometimes called dweomerlings. Lesser mudmen are dimly-intelligent life forces with but one goal -- to defend the pool of their origin from intruders.
When in a physical form, lesser mudmen take on the appearance of animated mud in a stocky humanoid shape, about 4 feet tall and almost as wide. Their coloration varies between a dirty brown and a tar black. They have four thick fingers on each hand. Their legs are usually submerged within the pool.
Unlike most oozes, dweomerlings do not breathe, and they subsist on the dweomer within their pool.
Their land speed increases by 5' with every size increase, and their climb speed increases by 5' with every two size increases.
Lesser mudmen cannot speak.
Lesser mudmen stay submerged in their pool most of the time, until an intruder steps in. Then, they attack.
They work well together like a wolf pack or lion pride.
- Hurl Mud (Ex): Same as mudmen.
- Suffocation (Ex): Same as mudmen.
- Blindsight (Ex): Same as mudmen.
- Combine (Ex): Same as mudmen.
- Damage Reduction (Ex): Its /bludgeoning DR increases by another five every size it is above Medium (but lower it by 5 every size it is below Medium).
- Muddy: Their magic mire makeup makes mudmen naturally tough and resilient, yet sluggish and slow to respond. Mudmen have: bonus natural armor = 1/2 HD (above what they'd normally have); +1 racial bonus to Con checks, Con-based skill checks, & Fort saves per 2 HD (max +5); 1 more Con per 2 HD (above what they'd have normally); good Fort save progression.
- However, mudmen also have: -1 racial penalty to Dex checks, Dex-based skill checks (except for Escape Artist), & Ref saves per 2 HD (max -15).
- They're more stable than dwarves: +6 racial to ability checks to resist bull rush & trip attacks when on the ground (+8 on muddy ground).
- They naturally heal at twice the rate while submerged in wet or muddy areas, and naturally heal at quadruple the rate while submerged in magical mud that is capable of spawning mudmen.
- Spell Vulnerabilities: Same as mudmen.
- Skills: +1 racial bonus to all Con-based skill checks (see Muddy), -1 racial penalty to all Dex-based skill checks except Escape Artist (see Muddy), +20 racial bonus on Escape Artist checks.
- +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.
- *+8 racial bonus on Hide checks to hide in or as mud or similar substance like a swamp, bottom of a riverbed, or a dirt path after a torrential rainfall. If the area is large enough, or the mudman spreads itself thin enough, its size penalty to Hide checks (if any) is negated.
- Low Level: The players are drudging through mud, when suddenly it forms into a bunch of human-shaped, angry blobs! What a tweest.