Lesser Dragons (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
called 'Lesser Dragons' because they look similar to slim dragons except with a smaller build then there larger cousins. Actually 'Lesser Dragon' in one sense are not Dragons, first of all they are Omnivores rather than Carnivores, second of all they cannot breath an element and do not get the racial hit dice of a Dragon. Lesser Dragons should actually be called Tiismaran, since this is what they call themselves in both Common and Tiismaric. (this is also how 'Tiismaran' came to be what they're called, since that is what they chose to call themselves.) Another Reason why man races believe that Tiismaran are 'Lesser Dragons' is due to a legend, in this legend it is said that a wizard managed to stop a dragon from growing when it become a medium sized creature. ( If this legend is true of not is a different matter but it isn't actually linked to the Tiismaran). To summarize, Lesser Dragons are technically called 'Tiismaran' but are called Lesser Dragons due to the fact that many races mistake them for small dragons, and the name 'Lesser Dragons' just caught on quicker.
the personality of a lesser dragon can vary depending specifically on the dragon and its background, some are violent while others peaceful although unlike there larger cousins, generally lesser dragons will rarely attack unprovoked and most of the time it is in self defense. due to being hunted, Lesser Dragons are generally reclusive within there own cultures within there own race although it is known for Lesser dragons to join the cultures of other reptilians, rarely a Lesser Dragon will join Elven and even Dwarfen communities.
it is rare for two or more lesser dragons to be alike, in that case it is most likely because they are siblings, All Lesser Dragons have a head, a bladed tail and a body with two back legs and two front arms which can also act as legs. Lesser Dragons have scales which can come in the following colours : Green, Blue, Brown, Grey, Red, Yellow, White, Black and Purple. (most common to rarest). Commonly Lesser Dragons have wings, although it isn't rare for a dragon to be born with fins and gills. It is also not rare that some dragons may have manes, or feathers. Some dragons even have strong rigid scales and spiky spines. there are more features that change from Lesser Dragon to Lesser Dragon, hence me saying that it is rare for two to be alike. At best they can grow to the length of 6" to 8". With tail from 3" to 4" feet long for balance, agility and defense. A lesser Dragon can wiegh from 250-300lb. Lesser Dragons are generally slim and agile, so they lack strength and constitution.
due to being hunted by Humans and some barbaric races, Lesser Dragons are generally reclusive within there own cultures within there own race although it is known for Lesser dragons to join the cultures of other reptilians, rarely a Lesser Dragon will join Elven and even Dwarfen communities. Lesser Dragons get along well with other Reptilians, they are mutual towards elves and dwarfs but are often uneasy near Humans due to a long history of hunting.
are commonly neutral Good or true neutral, but can range into any alignment.
Lesser Dragons commonly inhabit Mountainous regions, Coastal Regions and even Swamps, although if you look hard enough, you can find them anywhere. Generally Lesser Dragons start small communities at best, and sometimes join communities of other races, but as said before, are quite reclusive. There is a Legend which says that the Lesser Dragons once built a city below the mountains, though no-one knows whether or not the legend is true or not.
it is not rare for Lesser Dragons to worship Deities, quite often Deities of the sky, sometimes Dragons. Some communities are actually based around a religious belief. There is also of course Lesser Dragon which don't believe in Deities.
Lesser Dragons speak Taasmiric and often learn Common, more intelligent dragons learn to speak other languages. Taasmiric is the language of 'Lesser Dragon' or what they are actually called 'Taasmiran'. Taasmiric is a language which Lesser Dragons developed in order to talk to one another while in the presence of an enemy, Taasmiric uses Draconic Letters and generally sounds quite complexed. (too put it into a practical example, Taasmiric is like the Gaelic version of Draconic ).
Lesser Dragons take names which are linked to there scale colour, body shape or inhabitant. Like Ember, Autumn, Chillie, Nightendale etc.
want to make the colour random? use this table and a D100 to get a random colour
- -2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom. Lesser Dragons are nimble but lack in strength and constitution due to their light build. Lesser Dragons have also learnt to be visual at all times.
- Medium Size: No special bonuses or penalties due to their size
- Lesser Dragons base land speed is 35 feet on foot. Flight speed is and 60 ft. (good maneuverability)
- Vision: Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
- Flight Reflex (Ex): Whilst flying, lesser dragons gain a +2 racial bonus to reflex saves.
- Sleep Immunity: Immunity to magic sleep effects and paralysis effects.
- Flawed Wielding: Take a -4 penalty to attack with two-handed weapons and -4 per an attack while using Two-Weapon Fighting with additional to the normal penalties (if apply).
- Skill bonuses: Smooth scales grant a +2 racial bonus to Swim, Jump and Climb checks; Tail grants a +2 racial bonus to Balance checks.
- Natural Armor: +1 natural armour.
- weapon proficiency: Lesser Dragons are proficient with Natural Weapons
- Spiky Spine: Enemies grappling a lesser dragon must pass a DC 15 Fortitude save or take 1d4 damage.
- Natural Weapons: Primary natural weapon is a bite (1d6). Secondary natural weapons are 2 claws (1d4), 1 bladed tail (1d6), and 1 gore (1d4).
- Horn Strike(sp): On a successful bull rush, a lesser dragon automatically deals its gore damage.
- hold breath: A Lesser Dragon has the ability to hold its breath for 2D4 round before suffocating
- Quadruped: Armour must be specially made to fit a lesser dragon, at x2 cost.
- Fear of Humans(sp): Lesser Dragons are shaken if they are within 30 ft. of a human.
- Automatic Languages: Tiismic, Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Dwarfen, Halfling, Celestial, Aquan.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +2
- Aquatic: Lose flight speed and flight reflex. Gain a swim speed of 40 ft. Gain the aquatic subtype; can breathe underwater and in air; +10 racial bonus to Swim checks.
- Rigid Scales: Lose the racial bonus to Swim, Jump and Climb checks. Natural armor bonus increases to +3.
- Prehensile Tail: Lose bladed tail natural attack. Tail can pick up objects weighing up to 5 lb.; Cannot attack with weapons held in the tail.
- Fin Tail: At the tip of your tail you have a set of fins which allows for faster and better swimming. +5ft racial bonus to Swim Speed and + 3 racial bonus to Swim check. removes Bladed Tail
- curling body markings: your Lesser Dragon was born with curling markings across the majority of its scales, which are a similar colour to your scales. take a -2 to Hide checks.
- feathered wings: you have wings which are made primarily of feathers, however, you cannot use feathered wings for flight during or until 3D4 rounds after coming out of the water. since they need to dry off.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|150 years||275 years||400 years||+10D20 years|
|Gender||Base Length||Length Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6"0' inches||+ 2D12||250 lb.||+ 5D10 lb.|
|Female||6"0' inches||+ 2D12||250 lb.||+ 5D10 lb.|
note: most Lesser Dragons stand 3" tall, to calculate do this equation (3'0" + (D8 -0'4"))