Lati (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Latis are a group of three different subraces which share similar abilities and powers. There are the mostly male Latioses, who are more offensively inclined when it comes to combat; the primarily female Latiases, who are more defensive in nature; and the rare Latiuses, hybrids of the other two subraces who are more speedy than their other subraces.
Latis tend to live in a self-contained community and are almost always seen in pairs, be it brother and sister or as mates - the bond between two lati mates being a strong link which can only be broken through death. However, some latis tend to be highly curious about the world around them, and not just Lationa - some of these may leave the safety of Lationa to explore and to sate their curiosity.
Latis, while descended from dragons, are much more bird-like in shape compared to other dragons. They have an aerodynamic humanoid body, with jet-plane wings on their backs and glass-like down feathers covering their body - a single colour (or two if a Latius) from below the shoulders down, and white along the arms, the top of the body and the neck and head, but with a wedge-like shape of the single colour which starts at their nose, and goes against their eyes and to their triangular ears on the top of their heads, which itself has a circular section on the forehead which is white. Latioses have either blue or green as their feather colour, while Latiases have either red or yellow. Latiuses have a split of feather colours down the middle, with one side being a Latios colour and the other side being a Latias colour.
Latis, due to being in a self-contained community, do not have any relations with other races, and while those outside Lationa may be curious about them, they tend to keep to themselves. They are only able to breed with other latis, but will almost always give birth to twins - one Latios, one Latias. On the occasions where this is not the case, which happens rarely, a Latius may be born instead.
Latis tend to be Chaotic Good due to their free-spirited nature and curiosity along with a good sense of right and wrong. Although those in Lationa tend to be more Lawful than those who leave.
The homeland of the latis is known as Lationa when translated into Common. This place is not found on a map due to the magic of the Original Soul Dew but is full of lakes where the cities of Lationa tend to be seen. Latis who venture out into the wilder world tend to stay near water, but some have ventured into areas where there is little water.
Latis do have some form of religion, but only in the fact that they dedicate themselves to the Original Soul Dew - and one of the acts a prospective Prince or Princess must do to lay an official claim to the throne of Lationa is to create a new Soul Dew linked to them and offer it to the Original Soul Dew - which, if accepted, turns it into an Artifact Soul Dew. Other than this, they do not tend to worship any deities or pantheons, except for Arceus.
The lati language is similar enough to Draconic that those who can understand Draconic can get the general gist of Latinese and vice versa, but the written variants are vastly different, with Latinese using flowing symbols as characters. However, this is the only language they naturally learn in Lationa. A Lati outside of Lationa might be able to pick up some of the more common languages, like Common or Undercommon.
Lati names sometimes change depending on the situation. However, usually the first words ‘spoken’ to one’s twin is their name due to the bond between them. When a pair mates, they may opt to change their names to be more linked, and once a Prince or Princess is accepted by the Original Soul Dew, they too would change their name to a more regal sounding one.
- Base Stat Adjustments - -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom
- Latiases get an extra +2 to Wisdom but also get a further -2 to Strength.
- Latioses, on the other hand, invert this - they get +2 to Strength which cancels out the negatives, but they also get -2 to Wisdom, which also cancels out the positives.
- Latiuses get an extra +2 Dexterity, but they take a -2 to Charisma as they tend to find it harder to communicate due to not having a bond sibling.
- Dragon Humanoid: Psionic
- Medium Size
- Latias/Latios Base Land Speed is 30ft. Latius Base Land Speed is 40ft.
- Latis do NOT have Darkvision nor low-light vision and have resistance to magic sleep and paralysis effects rather than immunities.
- Natural Weapons: 2 claws, (1d4) bite (1d6) and 2 wing slam (1d6 nonlethal)
- Weapon Proficiency: A Lati is NOT proficient with any weapons normally, and must take a -4 penalty for using them. However, they are proficient with any simple weapons they get during character generation.
- Dragon: Latis are more dragon than humanoid, and have resistance to spells which specifically target humanoids, but not those which target dragons.
- Mindlink: Permanent — A Latios/Latias pair of twins are born with a mental link between the two of them which allows them to communicate verbally over great distances. They can even use this to share what they are seeing with the other Lati. Latiuses do NOT have this ability as they are born by themselves, but technically they have this with themselves.
- Feather Fall: At Will — A Lati can cast Feather Fall when falling as a spell-like ability, with the duration being 1 round per ECL of the Lati.
- Automatic Languages: Latinese, Draconic (Spoken only). Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon, Elven, Draconic (Written).
- Favored Class: Psion, Wilder or Sorcerer.
- Level Adjustment: +1