Kobolds, Gemstone (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Gemstone kobolds are emboldened by the dragonsblood that runs in their veins; they are none so skittish as their mundane counterparts. Otherwise, however, they live in much the same fashions, seen as a "savage" race by the non-dragonblooded who are blind to their innate power.
Physically, gemstone kobolds much resemble their mundane bretheren. However, their scales shine brightly like opaque gemstones in the respective colors.
Gemstone kobolds are usually lauded among the rest of their kind, but there are some kobolds who would shun them for their natural affinity for psionics over the traditional arcane sorcery.
Due to their inherent sunlight sensitivity and unique appearance among kobolds, most gemstone kobolds prefer to live underground or in caves like their true-draconic forebears. Crystal kobolds, lacking the sensitive eyes of the other subraces, are most likely to live above ground. Because they're cold-blooded, reptilian creatures, kobolds living or adventuring on the surface tend to prefer warmer climates.
A gemstone kobold’s base land speed is 30 feet. Automatic Language: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Undercommon, Gnoll, Orc, Goblin, Sylvan. Level Adjustment: +0.
- Humanoid (Dragonblood, Psionic). The blood of the psionic gemstone dragons runs strong in gemstone kobolds.
- Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 of those of Medium characters.
- Gemstone kobold base land speed is 30 feet.
- Light Sensitivity (Ex): Gemstone kobolds are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking) and Search checks.
- Draconic Heritage (Ex): Gemstone kobolds are treated as having the Draconic Heritage feat (RotD 102-103), with their heritage matching the name of their subtype, for the purposes of qualifying for other feats with the [draconic] descriptor. A gemstone kobold is unable to take the feat itself, however; with a closer tie to its draconic lineage than most other races, its heritage manifests in different ways.
- Breath Weapon (Su): Gemstone kobolds have much stronger ties to their draconic heritage than their more common brethren. A gemstone kobold gains the use of a breath weapon, usable a number of times per day equal to 1 + her Constitution bonus (minimum 1), and even if he has uses of his breath weapon remaining a kobold must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again. A breath weapon does 2d6 damage of a different specified type and shape for each subrace of kobold (see below); a successful Reflex save (DC 10 + kobold's HD + Con mod) halves the damage.
- Naturally Psionic (Ex): Gemstone kobolds gain 1 bonus power point at 1st level.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonus Languages: Undercommon, Gnoll, Orc, Goblin, Sylvan.
- Level Adjustment: +0.
The information above is for statistics shared by all varieties of gemstone kobold. However, gemstone kobolds are further defined by whichever dragon's blood runs strongest through their veins. There are five species of gemstone kobold, which are detailed below. The statistics given are in addition to those for the generic gemstone kobold given above, except when noted.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom.
- +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy checks.
- Breath weapon: 30-foot line of force damage.
- Favored class: Psychic Warrior.
- -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma.
- +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks.
- Breath weapon: 15-foot cone of brilliant light, which deals no damage but blinds a creature who fails its save for 1d4 rounds.
- Special: Crystal kobolds uniquely lack the Light Sensitivity feature shared by all other subraces of gemstone kobold.
- Favored class: Wilder.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom.
- +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (local) and Gather Information checks.
- Breath weapon: 15-foot cone of sonic damage. Any creature which fails its Reflex save must also succeed on a Fortitude save (same DC) or be deafened for 1d4 rounds.
- Favored class: Ardent. (CPsi p.5).
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
- +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (dungeoneering) checks and Survival checks made while underground.
- Breath weapon: 15-foot cone of sonic damage. Any creature which fails its Reflex save must also succeed on a Will save (same DC) or become panicked for 1d4 rounds.
- Favored class: Lurk (CPsi p.13).
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom.
- +2 racial bonus on Swim checks.
- Breath weapon: 15-foot cone of dehydration, resembling a watery spray but in fact dealing desiccation damage. When aimed against an aqueous liquid, this effect evaporates one cubic foot of water per point of damage dealt.
- Favored class: Psion.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|45 years||64 years||90 years||+3d12 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 6"||+1d6 inches||41 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||2' 4"||+1d6 inches||36 lb.||× (<1d4) lb.|