Kilian Ranger (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Making a Kilian Ranger
Kilian Rangers are potent melee combatants, able to deflect projectiles and channel the force into their signature weapon, the Siang Lance, to create powerful attacks to compliment their more defensive fighting style.
Abilities: Kilian Rangers rely on their connection to the force, and their dexterity in combat to make use of their signature weapon and abilities. Dexterity and Wisdom are the core stats of the Kilian Ranger.
Races: Kilian rangers are always humans, as the denizens of Kilia IV are exclusively the descendants of human settlers from the core worlds that lost all contact with the rest of the galaxy.
Alignment: Kilian Rangers are sworn to protecting the innocent and upholding the laws of Kilia IV. Any good alignment is allowed, though most Rangers tend towards Lawful Good.
Starting Gold: 6d6×10 gp.
Starting Age: Moderate.
|1st||+1||+0||+2||+2||Tools of the Office, Weapon Finesse|
|2nd||+2||+0||+3||+3||Shield Ward, Forceful Training|
|4th||+4||+1||+4||+4||Ranger Evasion, Uncanny Dodge|
|7th||+7/+2||+2||+5||+5||Improved Channeled Force|
|9th||+9/+4||+3||+6||+6||Improved Shield Ward|
|10th||+10/+5||+3||+7||+7||Improved Ranger Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+3||+7||+7||Squire Training, Greater Channeled Force|
|12th||+12/+7/+2||+4||+8||+8||Improved Ranger's Reflexes|
|13th||+13/+8/+3||+4||+8||+8||Wholeness of Body|
|14th||+14/+9/+4||+4||+9||+9||Clarity of Thought|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+5||+9||+9||Channeled Force Expertise|
|18th||+18/+13/+8/+3||+6||+11||+11||Greater Ranger's Reflexes|
|19th||+19/+14/+9/+4||+6||+11||+11||Channeled Force Mastery|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Kilian Rangers are masters of martial combat and using the tools of their office to defeat threats to their people. All of the following are class features of the Kilian Ranger.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Kilian Rangers are proficient in all martial weapons, and the Siang Lance and the Shield Gauntlet. They are also proficient with all armor and shields, though they prefer light or medium armor.
Symbols of the Office (Ex): At 1st level, Kilian Rangers are granted two tools that represent their office as Rangers. The Siang Lance is a modified sporting blaster rifle with a bayonet attached to it, which allows it to operate at range or in close quarters. The shield gauntlet is a gauntlet that can project a colorless personal shield that is capable of deflecting projectiles or blows from most weapons, including lightsabers.
The Siang Lance can be used as a ranged weapon or as a melee weapon. If used as a ranged weapon, it is treated as a firearm that fires laser bolts, dealing 1d8 force damage, with a range of 120 feet. Within the weapon's first range increment, it hits against touch AC. If used as a melee weapon, it deals 1d8 slashing damage, as the weapon can be swung much like a sword. The Siang Lance is a one-handed weapon, regardless of whether it is being used for ranged or melee.
The Shield Gauntlet is a mundane item, that can create a concave disk of colorless energy that is strong enough to deflect blaster bolts and strikes from weapons, including lightsabers. It grants a permanent +3 to armor class as long as the gauntlet is being worn, due to the shield's very fast deployment time. The shield can create a disk of any size ranging from the size of a buckler to up to a meter in diameter.
Weapon Finesse (Ex): A 1st level, a Kilian Ranger receives the Weapon Finesse feat with respect to his Siang Lance. He may use his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier as the bonus to his melee attacks when using his Siang Lance.
Shield Ward (Ex): At 2nd level, if he succeeds a Reflex save, a Kilian Ranger can use his shield gauntlet to block ranged attacks coming his way. At 2nd level, he can only block ranged attacks within 10 ft. He can block out to an extra 10 ft for every level after 1st. This ability can affect ranged attacks in a 30 foot spread from the Kilian Ranger. The reflex save DC is (15 + 1/4 enemy Attack roll).
Forceful Training (Ex): At 2nd level, a Kilian Ranger gains an insight bonus equal to his Wisdom modifier on all Balance, Jump, Survival, and Tumble checks, as well as Reflex saves and his AC. Forceful Training does not apply if the user is immobile.
Deflecting Shield (Ex): At 3rd level, whenever a Kilian Ranger successfully blocks a ranged attack with his Shield Gauntlet, he can then attempt to deflect the attack at another target, making his own attack roll against the enemy. The new target of the attack must be within the distance of the first range increment of the weapon that fired the attack, measured from the Kilian Ranger. Any special qualities of the ranged attack (enchantments, stored spells, etc.) are directed at the new target as if the original attack was made against that target.
Ranger Evasion: At 4th level, a Kilian Ranger gains the use of the Evasion ability.
Uncanny Dodge: At 4th level, a Kilian Ranger gains the use of the Uncanny Dodge ability, using his Kilian Ranger level as his rogue level.
Channeled Force (Ex): The Kilian Ranger is taught during their training how to channel the Force into their signature weapon, the Siang Lance. At 5th level, while wielding his Siang Lance, he can channel the force into the weapon, choosing one option to improve the performance of the weapon. The Kilian Ranger can activate this ability a number of times per day equal to 1 plus his Wisdom modifier, and it lasts for a number of rounds equal to his Kilian Ranger level. The improvements he can choose from are as follows;
- Forceful Blows: The Kilian Ranger channels the Force through the bayonet of the weapon, changing all melee damage dealt by the Siang Lance to force damage, and increasing the effective damage die by one step, but only for melee damage. This increases by one additional step at 7th level, and again every 4 levels thereafter, to a maximum of five die steps at 19th level
- Forceful Bolts: The Kilian Ranger channels the Force into the bolts fired from the weapon, causing each bolt to hit like a railgun. The effective damage die of each bolt is increased by one step, and each bolt that hits his target allows for an immediate bull rush attempt against the target of the bolt. On a success, the target is pushed back 5 feet from the force behind the bolt. The damage die increases by one additional step at 7th level, and again every 4 levels thereafter, to a maximum of five die steps at 19th level.
- Arc of Force: The Kilian Ranger channels the Force into his bayonet, creating an arc of Force energy to extend from the weapon whenever it is swung. This cutting arc can pass through multiple enemies, and travels out to a range of 15 feet. Every time an attack is made, the Kilian Ranger can choose whether to send out an arc of Force. The Range increment increases to 20 feet at 7th level, then increases by 10 feet for every 4 levels after 7th, to a maximum of 50 feet at 19th level.
Ranger's Reflexes (Ex): At 6th level, a Kilian Ranger is so adept at feeling the will of others, he gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC, but only while wearing medium, light, or no armor. This bonus stacks with the feat Dodge.
Improved Channeled Force (Ex): The Kilian Ranger's ability to channel the Force into their Siang Lance is improved. At 7th level, he may now choose two Force improvements per use of Channeled Force, the number of times per day he can use Channeled Force increases to 3 plus his Wisdom modifier, and he gains access to new improvements;
- Force Celerity: The Kilian Ranger channels the Force into the Siang Lance itself, using it to increase the speed and dexterity that he can put into the weapon. This functions like the Speed enchantment. This effect can be stacked with that enchantment. The number of extra attacks increases by one at 11th level, then again every 4 levels after 11th, to a maximum of 4 extra attacks at 19th level
- Superior Reload: The Kilian Ranger channels the Force into his arms, increasing the speed at which he reloads. He decreases the time it takes to reload his Siang Lance to a free action. If he needs to reload in the middle of a full attack, he can elect to replace one of his attacks with a reload action, allowing him to continue his full attack after the action of reloading.
Trained Acrobatics (Ex): At 8th level, a Kilian Ranger no longer requires a running start to perform a Jump skill check without penalty.
Improved Shield Ward (Ex): At 9th level, a Kilian has be come so adept at using his Shield Gauntlet that he now adds his Dexterity modifier to the shield bonus granted by his AC. In addition, once per round he can deflect a single siege weapon attack.
Improved Ranger Evasion (Ex): At 10th level, a Kilian Ranger gains the use of the Improved Evasion ability.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 10th level, a Kilian Ranger gains the use of the Improved Uncanny Dodge ability, as a barbarian of his Kilian Ranger level.
Squire Training (Ex): At 11th level, the Kilian Ranger gains the Leadership feat. However, his cohort is another Kilian Ranger, and he does not gain followers, unless he takes the leadership feat again. The cohort acts as a student to the Kilian Ranger's mentor. If the Kilian Ranger is no longer based out of Kilia IV, he can instead choose a bonus combat or Fighter feat.
Greater Channeled Force (Ex): The Kilian Ranger's ability to channel the Force into his Siang Lance reaches even greater heights, allowing him to now channel the Force into his Shield Gauntlet as well. At 11th level, he may now choose three Force improvements per use of Channeled Force, the number of times per day he can use Channeled Force increases to 5 plus his Wisdom modifier, and he gains access to new improvements;
- Disc of Force: The Kilian Ranger channels the Force into his Shield Gauntlet, Extending the reach of his shield without increasing the weight. He now adds his Wisdom modifier to the shield bonus that his Shield Gauntlet grants. By entering a defensive stance as a free action, the shield will grant full cover to the Kilian Ranger, and half cover to any allies within 5 feet of him that are not in front of him. At 15th level, all allies within 5 feet also gain full cover, and half cover is granted to allies within 10 feet. At 19th level, the ranges extend an additional 5 feet, granting full cover to allies within 15 feet, and half cover out to an additional 10 feet beyond.
- Strength of Force: The Kilian Ranger channels the Force into his Siang Lance, switching to a more aggressive style. He may use the Siang Lance as a two-handed weapon, and adds two times his strength modifier to his damage. He also adds two times his Wisdom modifier to damage, as he channels the Force into the blows of this powerful combat form. While he is using his Siang Lance two-handed, the weapon is considered to be one size category larger for the purpose of damage, but does not incur the usual oversized weapon penalties. At 15th level, then again at 19th level, the effective size category increases by one, to a maximum of three at 19th level. His shield gauntlet does not hinder the use of his Siang Lance when it is being used two-handed.
Improved Ranger's Reflexes (Ex): At 12th level, a Kilian Ranger is so adept at feeling the will of others, he gains an additional +1 dodge bonus to AC, but only while wearing medium, light, or no armor. This bonus stacks with the feat Dodge.
Wholeness of Body (Ex): At 13th level, a Kilian Ranger can heal his own wounds. He can heal a number of hit points of damage equal to twice his current Kilian Ranger level each day, and he can spread this healing out among several uses.
Clarity of Thought (Ex):At 14th level, a Kilian Ranger's mind is so pure that he becomes immune to mind affecting effects.
Channeled Force Expertise (Ex): The Kilian Ranger has increased his ability to channel the Force into his Siang Lance to the level of excellence. At 15th level, he may now choose four Force improvements per activation of Channeled Force, an the number of times per day that he can use Channeled Force increases to 7 plus his Wisdom modifier.
Force Shield (Ex): At 16th level, a Kilian Ranger gains spell resistance equal to 10 + 1/2 Kilian Ranger level + Wisdom modifier + the shield modifier granted by his Shield Gauntlet.
Greater Ranger's Reflexes (Ex): At 18th level, a Kilian Ranger is so adept at feeling the will of others, he gains an additional +1 dodge bonus to AC, but only while wearing medium, light, or no armor. This bonus stacks with the feat Dodge.
Channeled Force Mastery (Ex): The Kilian Ranger has mastered the art of channeling the Force into his Siang Lance. He no longer has a limited number of uses of Channeled Force, and can change any number of the Force improvements he has active, at any time, as a non-action.
Kilian Lord (Ex): At 20th level, the Kilian Ranger has achieved the title of Kilian Lord, which confers the ability to have the spell Freedom of Movement perpetually on. In addition, he may now choose six Force improvements at the same time.
Human Kilian Ranger Starting Package
Weapons: Siang Lance, Shield Gauntlet.
Skill Selection: Balance: 3, Intimidate: 3, Listen: 3, Spot: 3, Survival: 4
Feat: Power Attack.
Bonus Feats: Weapon Focus (Siang Lance).
Gear: Leather Armor, Backpack, Bedroll, 5 Torches, Whetstone, Waterskin.
Gold: 240 gp.
Playing a Kilian Ranger
Religion: Kilian Rangers revere the Force.
Other Classes: Kilian Rangers respect those that strive to serve the people. For this reason, they hold good paladins in high regard, and respect Jedi for what they do for the community. They tend to dislike evil people, and will often be hostile to classes like the Sith or Antipaladins.
Combat: Kilian Rangers are front line fighters, utilizing their superior combat aptitude with their shield gauntlet and Siang Lance to gain an upper hand.
Advancement: Most Kilian Rangers stick with the Kilian Ranger class to gain the Channeled Force benefits as they scale in level. Multiclass options for a Ranger that wants to branch out would be any martial class that compliments their abilities, and improve the fighting style they hope to achieve.
Kilian Rangers in the World
|“||"Enemies are not accidental or unfortunate. We make them, we earn them, and we nurture them, whether we realize it or not."||”|
|—Gajakur Biul, Human Kilian Lord|
Daily Life: Kilian Rangers spend much of their days training and helping the people of Kilia IV, or whatever people they've sworn to protect, if they are not based out of Kilia IV.
Notables: Gajakur Biul, Kilian Lord. A Kilian Ranger that worked tirelessly to become the leader of the organization of Kilian Rangers on Kilia IV, he has dedicated his life to the service of his people. He's an accomplished combatant and hunter.
Organizations: Kilian Rangers are rarely found outside of their home Planet, Kilia IV. On the rare occasions that they are found away from home, they can often be found fighting to protect those in need.
NPC Reactions: Those that have heard of the Kilian Rangers know of their dedication to protecting those in need, and will often have a favorable view of the Rangers.
Kilian Ranger Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (History) can research Kilian Rangers to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||Servants of the people of Kilia IV, skilled combatants.|
|10||They are sworn to lay down their lives for the people they serve.|
|15||Skilled Rangers can channel the Force through their signature weapon, the Siang Lance.|
|20||Kilian Rangers are sworn to protect the innocent and serve their people. Their planet was only recently contacted by the outside galaxy, having been isolated from all other planets and cultures for almost a thousand years.|