Keils (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Keils usually float in the void all the time, but sometimes major events like magic wars or natural disasters can attract some of them into other planes. Once they reach another plane, the incredible amount of stimuli they receive triggers many reactions inside of their bodies: they start to feel things like hunger, thirst and tireness, needs that they cannot satisfy by themselves. That's why those that don't find a suitable host usually die after a day or two. Keils are commonly evil, as they enslave other creatures to do their bidding, but there have been cases of hosts and Keils uniting after having established some sort of bond or pact, fighting for the forces of law and good.
A Keil is a 3 foot tall mass of dark blue goo that presents 4 tentacles (1d4 damage each) and 2 black and shiny eyes, but no mouth or other sensorial organ whatsoever. Keil only have sight and a slight enanched form of telepathy that lets them understand their surroundings, but they do not feel any physical sensation whatsoever. Keils float most of the time, but cannot move very well if that ability is negated. Keils don't smell and do not produce any odor whatsoever, but they can still be perceived if they are carrying something that does smell naturally.
Keils are not seen too well by other races, as they fear their power of domination and their intelligence. Some communities hate them so much that even after a host is freed of the Keil, it is still not accepted back inside the community and is instead expelled and exiled.
Generally Neutral Evil or Lawful Evil, but there have been Good Keils too. A Keil can never be caothic, as it has never experienced chaos in its life, living in the endless and calm void.
Any, but they do have an affinity with water, which is the most similar thing to the void they swam in before coming into the plane.
Keils seek knowledge and are often confused for aberrations, thus they have encountered Illithids more than once and learned to pray to Ilseline, but they do not feel the need to pray, as they know that eventually the endless void they live in will devour all,, even deities.
Keils can only communicate telephatically or through their hosts. They know no languages, as they can't hear them being spoken either.
Keils have no names either, and do not name themselves. Usually others name them with some appellative, but it is merely estetic.
- +4 Dexterity,+2 Intelligence,+2 Wisdom,+2 Charisma, -6 Strength. Keils are smart and hard to hit, but they can't pack that big of a punch themselves, as they have never used their muscles.
- Outsider (Water,Evil,Extraplanar)
- Keils' base land speed is 3 feet: They can float at a speed of 30 feet.
- Floating(Sp): Keils float all the time thanks to their powers, but can choose to end this as a free action. Keils have perfect maneuvrability, but cannot float higher than 9 feet into the air.
- Bond: a Keil can form a bond with any creature, willing or not, fusing together their minds and bodies alike. Once the two creatures are bonded, they share everything, from thoughts and memories to damage. A non willing creature can resist the bond by surpassing a Will Check DC 10+The Keil's Char modifier+ half of the Keil's HD-the creature's HD. Once the bond is formed, the two creatures become a single entity which uses the physical stats of the host and the mind stats of the Keil. The two creatures are always connected telepathically, and this ability cannot be canceled as long as the bond is formed. The Keil takes half of the lethal damage his host is inflicted, and can stay unnoticed until it moves, hiding under the clothes or fur of its host (Spot Check DC 30 to spot when hiding, the Klei doesn't have to make a Hide Check). Once bonded, a Keil can either help or damage its host to force it to do its bidding. The bond can be broken only if the host or the Keil are killed.
- Mental Shock(Sp): A bonded Keil can send a shock to the mind of its host, dealing from 1d6 to 10d6 of non lethal damage. The host has to surpass a Will check DC 10+ half of the Keil's HD+ the Keil's Char modifier or be exausted for 24 hours. The Keils can use this ability in two other ways:
Psychic Boost: By dealing 2d6 damage to any of the host's Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma, a Keil can obtain half of the damage done as a boost for 1 minute. If any of the host's stats reach 0 because of this ability, the body becomes unable to move and the host's mind falls into a catatonic state until his stats return to at least 3. This is a free action.
Psychic Flare: By dealing 4d10 lethal damage to its host (and half the damage to himself), a Keil can generate a force pulse once a day, dealing 8d10 lethal damage to all creatures in a 30 feet radius around it (Will check DC 14+Keil's Char modifier halves). Other Keils are NOT immune to a Keil's Psychic Flare's damage. This is a full round action.
- Void-kin: A Keil is a creature of the Void, it is not affected by pain, smells or sounds, as it cannot percieve them in any way. A Keil has Blindsight and telepathy in a 30 feet radius around himself, but it can perceive strong mind impulses (Spells of 7th or higher level, psionic powers of 6th or higher level) and pinpoint their exact location in a 1 mile radius around himself. This individuation does not allow a saving throw, but can be influenced by powers that influence divination or similar abilities. Any spell a Klei casts is considered a Silent Spell. As they Keil does not have a mouth to speak the power words, Kleis cannot activate magic objects that require one.
- Immortality: Keils are immortal beings: they are adults as soon as they are born and do not lose points in Strenght, Dexterity and Constitution as they grow old. Once a Keil reaches its Maximum Age, it finds its way back into the void and slowly goes into a comatose state. Keils are born off of the comatose one, being projection of its mind. A Keil cannot be resurrected in any way, but it can be made younger using Wish or Miracle. When doing so, throw 1d6 and multiply that number by 100. That's the number of years the Keil will regain. A Keil can still die if killed by other means like weapons poisons or magic.
- Automatic Languages: None. Bonus Languages: None.
- Favored Class: Wizard.
- Level Adjustment: +3
|As soon as they are born