Kappa (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Kappas tend to be slow, easy-going, and easy to get along with. While they tend not to be the sharpest arrow in the quiver, they are fiercely loyal, and will go out of their way to protect their friends, no matter the friends flaws.
Kappas are bipedal turtles with large, horned shells that are dark brown in color. The shell will be decorated with symbols representing kills. They also have large scales covering their body, and beak-like jaws
Usually Neutral Good.
Kappas tend to inhabit areas near water or that used to have water.
All Kappa speak the language "Kp~'k", or Khipak. The language is comprised of clicks and other sounds that do not use vocal-cords. The language has a small alphabet, the consonants being 'K, T, S, Z(long s), P(a pop noise), X, &(tongue cluck), *(teeth/beak clack), and #(tsk, tsk sound), the "nouns", or the equivalent thereof, being ~, !, and ^, all of which are unpronounceable by non-kappa. Capitalization or bolding represents a verbal emphasis of exaggeration, and apostrophes denote a suffix/prefix or an alternate form of the word used, verbalized by a sudden exhalation and/or inhalation, like an H. For example, "Kappa" is Kp~k, "Stick" is k^st, "Staff" (carved stick) is k^s't, "Long" is !K, "Long Stick" is !K'k^st, and "Long Staff" is !K'k^s't. Any non Kappa that knows Kp~'k must uses regular vowels to represent the Kp~'k vowels, "~" being "u" as in under (or "a" as in all), "!" being "e" as in red, and "^" being "i" as in it. So !K'k^st would be pronounced ek-h-kist.
Kappa names are typically Kp~'k in origin, and then translated into a more pronounceable version, like how the language name, Kp~'k, turns into Khipak. Typically the names are nonsence words, with no real meaning in Khipak, except as a name. Common names include:
Male: Thax (#~X), Kassed (K~z!&), Ti'Paxik (t^'P~xk), Huthak (*'~#~k), Kapith (K~p^#)
Female: Kakikit (K~k^k'^t), Sakith (s~k^#), Hekit ('!k^t), Sakaxika (z~K~x^k~)
- +2 Constitution, −2 Dexterity, −2 Intelligance, −2 Charisma. A kappa's starting Intelligence score is always at least 3. If this adjustment would lower the character’s score to 1 or 2, his score is nevertheless 3.
- Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Kappa have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Kappa base land speed is 20 feet. However, kappa can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- Low-Light Vision: A kappa can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Weapon Proficiency: Kappa receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the warhammer, armor spikes, light hammer, as bonus feats.
- Shell: Kappa have large, tough shells. This shell provides the kappa with natural armor equal to 3+ one quarter of his level. In addition, he also gains DR 1/adamantine every 5 levels, and his shell is treated as having Armor Spikes of one size category larger with a 19-20×2 crit. However, the shell is also extremely limiting. A kappa cannot wear half or full plate, are considered nonhumanoid for the purpose of armor price, and have a permanent −4 Armor Check Penalty, 10% Arcane Spell Failure Chance, and Max Dex Bonus of +4. Magical enhancements may be given to both the shell and the spikes.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Kp~'k. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Goblin, Orc.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|120 years||150 years||210 years||+4d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Weight|
|Male||4' 11"||+2d12||(140 lb. × 2d4) +75 lb.|
|Female||4' 9"||+2d12||(130 lb. × 2d4) +70 lb.|