Joldor (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The joldor are a slow and deliberate folk. They don't like change, and quietly disapprove of all the "scurrying and worrying" that smaller folk do continually. Reclusive, they are almost unknown to humans. A long-lived race, they have equally long memories. While hesitant to make new acquaintances, they are loyal comrades to anyone who proves themselves worthy.
Their diet consists primarily meat, fruits, nuts, and vegetables. Occassionally, a joldor might cultivate a small garden, but they prefer to forage and hunt for most of their food. Joldor wear subdued greys and browns. Finding one wearing flamboyant colours is good cause to question his sanity. Seeing a joldor in any conditions is rare indeed, as they are shy, and don't like to get involved in the affairs of others.
The joldor spend most of their time hunting and foraging in distant wildernesses, avoiding contact with all other races.
The joldor are tall (eight feet on average), and broad of build. Glimpsed in poor lighting, they could easily be mistaken for large men. They have heavy features, and rough skin.
Joldor don't like meeting anyone outside of their tightly knit family circles. If they are acquainted with any outsiders, it will most likely be elves.
The joldor believe in one simple rule; be and let be. They are almost always Neutral Good
Joldor almost always live in secluded hills and mountains, in shallow caves hidden to all but the most observant
The joldor have no temples (indeed, they hardly build any structures), or public religion of any sort. But all joldor quietly worship the Creator, and honor his creation. Even the animals the joldor hunt for food are treated with respect.
The language of the joldor is unknown to anyone outside of their community, and the joldor generally don't speak basic. If you are never going to talk to someone, what is the point of having a common language?
Most joldor have two names. At birth, a joldor child is given one of his father's names (unless the newborn is a girl, in which case she is given one of her mother's names). Upon reaching the age of six, he or she is given their second name to suit their unique personality. Joldor who achieve great deeds are sometimes given a third or even forth name by the joldor community in honor of their accomplishments.
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -4 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence: Strong and powerfully built, the joldor are in tune with their surroundings, but they are slow to react, and not very learned.
- Humanoid (Giant):
- Large: -1 to attack and AC, +4 to Bull Rush, Grapple, Overrun, and Trip, -4 to Hide checks.
- Joldor base land speed is 40 feet
- Keen Eyes (Na): Joldor have keen eyesight, the better to see approaching strangers first so as to avoid them. Joldor roll to spot an approaching creature at double the normal distance. They also take a penalty of -1 to normal spot checks for every 20 feet of distance, instead of every 10 feet.
- Combat Style: When taking levels in the ranger class, joldor do not get the normal choices for combat style. When they would normally choose their combat style, they gain Power Attack. When they would gain improved combat style, they gain Cleave. When they would gain combat style mastery, they gain Greater Cleave.
- Automatic Languages: Joldor. Bonus Languages: Dwarfish, Elvish, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Ranger.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|120 years||200 years||300 years||+10d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||7' 6"||+3d8||250 lb.||× (5d6) lb.|
|Female||7' 0"||+3d8||250 lb.||× (5d6) lb.|