Hero of Time (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
Author's Note: "Hey! Listen!"
The Hero of Time excels as an adventurer, insightful in his knowledge of both combat and puzzles. (Based loosely on Link from the Zelda series.)
- Flaws (Unearthed Arcana)
- Player's Handbook 2
- Complete Champion
- Tome of Battle
- Complete Scoundrel
Game Rule Components
- Pick up Collector of Stories to help with the Int check for Knowledge Devotion.
Starting Ability Scores (Before Racial Adjustments): (Assuming 32 Point Buy) 16 14 14 16 8 8
Race (Templates): Fire Elf is best, but regular Elf also works
|1st||Factotum 1||+0||+0||+2||+0||Power Attack, Font of Inspiration, Font of Inspiration||Inspiration, Cunning Insight, Cunning Knowledge, Trapfinding|
|2nd||Warblade 1||+1||+2||+2||+0||Battle Clarity, Weapon Aptitude|
|3rd||Factotum 2||+2||+2||+3||+0||Knowledge Devotion||Arcane Dilettante|
|4th||Warblade 2||+3||+3||+3||+0||Uncanny Dodge|
|5th||Factotum 3||+4||+4||+3||+1||Brains Over Brawn, Cunning Defense|
|6th||Warblade 3||+5||+4||+4||+2||Font of Inspiration||Battle Ardor|
|8th||Warblade 5||+7||+5||+4||+2||Ironheart Aura|
|9th||Warblade 6||+8||+6||+5||+3||Stormguard Warrior||Improved Uncanny Dodge|
|10th||Warblade 7||+9||+6||+5||+3||Battle Cunning|
|12th||Eternal Blade 1||+11||+9||+5||+3||Combat Reflexes||Blade Guide, Eternal Training 1/day|
|13th||Eternal Blade 2||+12||+10||+5||+3||Guided Strike|
|14th||Eternal Blade 3||+13||+10||+6||+4||Armored Uncanny Dodge, Eternal Training 2/day|
|15th||Eternal Blade 4||+14||+11||+6||+4||Robilar's Gambit||Eternal Knowledge|
|16th||Eternal Blade 5||+15||+11||+6||+4||Eternal Training 3/day|
|17th||Eternal Blade 6||+16||+12||+7||+5||Defensive Insight|
|18th||Eternal Blade 7||+17||+12||+7||+5||Font of Inspiration||Eternal Training 4/day|
|19th||Eternal Blade 8||+18||+13||+7||+5||Tactical Insight|
|20th||Eternal Blade 9||+19||+13||+8||+6||Eternal Training 5/day|
At level 20: Factotum 3 / Warblade 8 / Eternal Blade 9
Possible Homebrew Equipment
The equipment presented here is not needed for the build, but is a flavorful addition to bring the character closer to the concept.
- Similar to Link, this character is good at a great number of things. He can add his Factotum level to skills, giving him a wide array of options in almost any situation. With all the puzzles he needs to figure out, Link needs this high Intelligence, and this intelligence is channeled into the different abilities he gains. Finally, he gains a spiritual companion who can be as annoying or snarky as the player wishes, making for interesting roleplaying.
- At level 12, you gain a Blade Guide. (Navi or Midna, for example.)
- Int mod can be added to:
- Attack and damage twice (Eternal Training, Cunning Insight)
- Damage when flanking or catching foes Flat-footed (Battle Cunning)
- AC twice (Defensive Insight, Cunning Defense)
- Knowledge checks (Cunning Knowledge gives 3, Eternal Knowledge gives your Blade Guide your Int mod + 9 to Knowledge skills, so they can assist you for +2, and Collector of Stories another +5 for a total of Int + ranks + 10, adds to attacks through Knowledge Devotion)
- Reflex Saves twice (Battle Clarity, Cunning Insight)
- Strength and Dexterity checks and Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks (Brains Over Brawn)
- Critical Confirmation rolls (Battle Ardor)
- Use Robilar's Gambit in combination with Stormguard Warrior to gain a bonus to attack and damage whenever an enemy attempts to attack you. (Capitalize on this with Power Attack.)
- Shore up that low Will save by picking up Moment of Perfect Mind.
- Access to level 9 maneuvers by level 19; Combat Rhythm + Time Stands Still followed in the next round by Diamond Nightmare Blade can be very devestating.
- Not much to add.
- Usual melee counters (difficult terrain, illusions, AC, etc)
- The "ultimate combo" mentioned above requires a round to set up.
- Defenses apart from AC (illusions, concealment, etc)
- If you don't mind losing Cunning Defense, trade out the third level of Factotum for another level of Warblade to get Combat Reflexes as a bonus feat. Then, instead of taking Combat Reflexes take Font of Inspiration once more for more Inspiration Points.
- Take Insightful Reflexes instead of one of the Fonts of Inspiration to add Intelligence once more to Reflex saves, replacing Dexterity.
- UMD a wand/scroll of Aspect of the Wolf (Spell Compendium) to gain the wolf form in Twilight Princess.