Hawining (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The race was not very long-lived, rarely over forty years of age, but very prolific and adaptable. A Hawining is considered adult only at the age of 14 years and must undergo a hard initiation ritual to become a man: he must leave his home to embark on a long journey between the islands to reach the ancient temple of their God "~!<>\" (a mooing absolutely unpronounceable in our language) that could be translated literally as "the great God who created the floating earth", but no one has clear what kind of entity it is and whether it is actually a deity. Though few, there are Hawining that after the journey for their maturity decide to to undertake life outside of the tribe, creating small gangs of outlaws without any discipline or rule, or wandering around the islands in search of fortune as adventurers.
Hawining are small and agile, about one meter high, maximum one meter and twenty centimeters and have a celestial skin that they believe allows them to camouflage themselves in the sky and look like flying half-orc puppies. It 'absolutely an absurd belief, considering that there are no tribe of orks and half orks in Ferenheim, and no one has ever seen one except in very rare cases, many Hawining believe it anyway firmly
They get along more or less well with the other races, even if they are seen very badly by most of them because they are crude and not very smart. Individuals who try to mingle with other civilizations are often chased or deceived and placed in a state of almost slavery, so over time even the Hawining have learned to distrust the other species. They own some clerics, but they are all they can do with magic, as they are not accustomed to arcane practices.
Any neutral alignment, anyway, some NE o NG can be exist.
The Hawining live in houses anchored on the outer edge of floating islands of Ferenheim, almost always semi-circular in shape with thatched roofs or wooden planks in a very tribal style. They are skilled craftsmen of wood, and create the Wingor, single-seater wooden gliders that allow them to ride the currents of air generated between the islands very similar to our hang gliders. Although working, the Wingor have no protection for the pilot, and the flight is purely related to the skills possessed by each individual creature. In case of accident, distraction or bad weather there is no salvation from falling endlessly into the sea of clouds.
The Hawining are the only Ferenheim race extremely religious and superstitious, bordering on fanaticism: they profess their rituals weekly, even for several days during the week, but their celebrations and functions are always simple and quick.
Language: Haw-in-in.Bonus Language: Common, Halfling, Orckish, Auran
Any exotic and illegible name is fine.
- Stats. adjustments: +4 Dexterty -2 Wisdom -2Charisma Hawining are small and agile, but far from fragile and weak, unfortunately they do not shine for intellect and strong character.
- Small Humanoid (Hawining)
- Small Size: Hawining earn a size bonus of +1 to Armor Class, a size bonus of +1 to hit and a size bonus of +4 to Hide, their load and lifting capacity is halved compared to the average size creatures.
- Base land speed: 30ft.
- Halfling Blood: Hawining have all the basic Halfling features described in the player's manual.
- Fearlessness: Hawining get Racial Bonus +4 at all Salvation Throw against Fear, many other species consider it simple recklessness. This skill overwrites the Halfling traits.
- Strong Hands: Hawining are able to use weapons and tools of medium size as if they were adequate to their size, but with -2 to hit and test skills.
- Automatic Languages: Haw-in-in Bonus Languages:Common, Halfling, Orckish, Auran
- Favored Class: Scout
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|14-30 years||30-40 years||40+ years||+55 years|
Homebrew Campaign settings: Ferenheim pg. 20
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races [[Category:<!-race's type-> Type]] [[Category:<!-race's subtype; or remove line-> Subtype]] [[Category:<!-race's size-> Size]] [[Category:LA<!-#->]] [[Category:ECL<!-#->]]