Half-Giant (Non-psionic) (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
An individual half-giant's personality is greatly influenced by the society and parent that raises it. Typically only one parent will raise the half-giant since even the most loving of coupling between giant and humanoid are the products of unique circumstances that take one of them away from their normal community and are unlikely to last. Though the couplings that produce half-giants have disturbing tendancy to be somewhat, less than consentual. These varied circumstances of birth and environments in which they are raised create a diverse range of personalities among individual half-giants.
Half-giants look like big, muscular humanoids. Their hair color is the same as typical for that of their giant parent and their skin is slightly tinted in the same color as their giant parent, only not as pronounced. Occassionally they will show a few minor traits of a lesser giant race, such as the jaw of a mountain troll or the horns of an ogre mage.
Half-giants are usually outsiders in their communities, whatever those may be, but some communities are accepting of half-giant (or at least certain types of half-giants) and some half-giants manage to prove their worthiness to even the most mistrustful old drunkard in the community. Half-giants often end up with a choice between accepting the racial hatreds and freindships of their community alike, or defying them. Thus, their choices in friends and in enemies will depend on this choice and the community they live in. Often, however, they will share a feeling of comradery with other half-races such as half-elves, half-orcs, and other half-giants, though they may also have different feelings on other half-giants depending on the type of giant that each counts as an ancestor and the circustances of their conception, half-fire giants and half-frost giant rarely get along for instance.
Half-giants tend to share the alignment of which ever parent raises them, thus they can be of virtually any alignments.
Half-giants do not have their own lands, they share the lands of which ever parent ends up raising them.
Half-giant's raised by giants worship giantish deities. Half-giant's among humanoids will tend to worship the local or racial deities asociated with strenght, endurance and physical prowess, or none at all.
Even when raised by the giant parent, a half-giant is taught to speak Common befor being taught to speak Giant as these parents recognize that their half-giant children can better interact with other humanoid races due to their size, and humanoid races with their own language know that their half-giant children will often have a better time of it if they can pass for some other kind of foreigner.
Typically those raised among humanoids will be given names that match those common in the culture around them to help them better fit in, while those raised by their giantish parent or by those who feel that their giant heritage is something they should be proud of will have more giantish names.
- * +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence: Half-giants are tough and strong, but not too nimble or intelligent.
- Giant: Half-giants favor the traits of their giantish heritage over their humanoid one.
- Medium: Half-giants are not much bigger than their humanoid parent and as such have no special bonuses or penalties due to size, but see below.
- A half-giant's base land speed is 30 feet.
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during a grapple, bullrush attempt, or trip attempt), the half-giant is treated as one size category larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attack based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities and spells that change the subject's size category.
- Mighty Wield: Due to the Half-Giants immense strength, they are able to wield two handed weapons proficiently as if they were one handed weapons.
- Climate Tolerant (Ex): Half-giants suffer little harm from environmental extremes of heat or cold. The do not have to make Fortitude saves in extreme environments between -40 and 120 F (severe cold to severe heat). This ability does not provide protection from fire or cold damage. This ability counts as if the Half-giant had the Cold Endurance/Heat Endurance feat for purposes of fulfilling prerequisites of other feats or prestige classes.
- Low-Light Vision: A half-giant can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Giant. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Ignan, Elven, Dwarven, Gnomish.
- Racial Hit Die: A half-giant begins with three levels of giant, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice; a base attack bonus of +2; and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +1, and Will +1.
- Racial Skills: A half-giant's giant levels give him skill points equal to 6 x (2 + Int modifier). His class skills are Climb, Craft (any), Intimidate, Jump, and Sense Motive.
- Racial Feats: A half-giant's human parentage gives him 2 feats at first level.
- Favored Class: Barbarian
- Level Adjustment: +3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|60 years||80 years||120 years||+4d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 4"||+2d12||220 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||6' 1"||+2d12||180 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|