Half-Fiendish (5e Subrace)
From D&D Wiki
This Subrace allows the crossbreeding of races without the use of dedicated halfbreed races. A Half-Fiendish person is the child of a Devil or Demon father, born to a mother from some other race. Half-Fiendish people are often born with a wide variety of physical deformities due to their diabolical bloodline. Among other things, they may exhibit no outward difference in appearance, or have as many as five of the following;
- Unusual skin color, such as bright red, pink, blue, purple, or onyx black.
- Many are born with a tail. Some are born with a forked or spaded tail.
- Some begin to grow horns, and sometimes other sharp protrusions, in adolescence.
- Most are born with extremely iconic, tattoo-like birthmarks. These can be as small as a mole, or they may cover the entire body. On rare occasions, the birthmark spreads as they age.
- Most have claws instead of normal finger nails.
- Many have oversized incisors or just sharp teeth in general.
- Many have unusual eye colors, strange pupil shapes, or even faintly glowing eyes.
- Some, on rare occasions, are even born with scales, fur, or covered in tiny spikes.
- They are often bald for life. A few grow limp, tentacle-like protrusions in the place of hair.
- On very rare occasions, they may be born with extra features, such as having a 6th finger or toe, a second thumb on each hand, a third eye, a second set of eyes, two faces, extra nipple or beasts, or extra muscles.
- A rare few are born with tiny vestigial wings.
- A few may be born with small fins, or webbed digits.
- They may be accompanied by the smell of smoke, feces, or rotting flesh.
- Cloven/hooved feet, often with digitigrade legs.
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence or Charisma score increases by 1.
Hellish Resistance. You have resistance to fire damage.
Infernal Legacy. You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach third level, you can cast the hellish rebuke spell once per long rest as a 2nd level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the darkness spell once per long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Not every half-fiend descends from the same demon or devil. Below are different combinations of traits to personalize your half-fiend.
Lorithil is the name mortals have given fiends descending from the demon lord Graz'zt. Their skin is smooth but it's color is gray or charcoal. Their shoulders just sit a little bit more forward than whatever humanoid they are from. A lorithil doesn't grow facial hair and their hair color varies between black or white. Lorithil eyes range in a variety of colors from yellow, red, or green. Sometimes the entire eye is the color leaving no white to be seen as seen in humanoids. Just as the tanarukk have a fiery brimstone smell, so too does the lorithil.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Gift of Graz'zt. You have proficiency in the Persuasion and Deception skills.
Quick Wit. When you roll a 1 for a Persuasion or Deception skill check, you may re-roll it and keep the results. After using this trait, you must finish a short or long rest to use it again.
Demon's Tongue. You know the vicious mockery cantrip and can speak, read, and write Abyssal.
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Character Options → Subraces