Gravitonic Master (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Extending her aura she locks the bandits in place as she slowly works towards them. This is their end they were caught in her field and now must pay the price. Before then can even make a sound a weight of 10 tons crushes them leaving nothing but blood splatter.
Standing at the vanguard of his group he starts to draw the gravity towards him. Stopping the archers that had ambushed his party from injuring his allies. He is a tower of impenetrable might and will stop all who hurt the ones he is trying to protect.
Moving weightlessly from building to building, sometimes on the tops other running up the sides. His prey below doesn't see or hear him. He moves without a sound and finds his mark, draws his short sword that could be mistaken for a feather upon holding it. Waits and makes his move slashing the through and before his prey can even recognize there was a threat the second strike has already come.
Making a Gravitonic Master
You can make a Gravitonic Master quickly by following these suggestions. First, Constitution should be your highest ability score as this dictates your gravitational powers and their relative strength, followed by Strength for attacking and dealing damage to others. Second, choose the Soldier background for variety should be chosen as it allows for a unique background especially with the corresponding archetypes.
Abilities: The most important is the Constitution score, followed either by Strength for power, or Dexterity for quickness.
Races: Any race can become a Gravitonic Master.
Alignment: Any, however, the Gravitonic Master tends to lean towards the alignment of Law since Gravity is one of the laws of universe.
Starting Gold: 4d10 + 5 gold.
|Bonus Feat, Gravitonic Ability DC, Gravity Points, Gravitational Reaction, Unarmed Gravitational Defense, Weightess Touch
|Gravitational Wave, Gravity Infusion
|Gravity Archetype, Gravity Aura
|Gravity Shield, Universal Pull-Push
|Bonus Feat, Gravitational Wave, Gravity Action
|Gravity Archetype Feature, Improved Gravity Infusion
|Bonus Feat, Gravity Archtype Feature, Gravity Action
|Gravity Aura Improvement
|Bonus Feat, Gravity Archetype Feature, Gravity Action
|Improved Gravity Infusion II
|Gravity Archetype Feature, Gravity Action
|Gravity Archetype Feature
|Bonus Feat, Black Hole
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Base Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Gravitonic Master. The Gravitonic Master's abilities are extraordinary abilities and are unaffected by magic canceling spells, spell-like abilities, items, or effects of any kind.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Gravitonic Masters are proficient in light, and medium armors, including the use of shields. Gravitonic Masters also have proficiency in wielding simple, light, and martial weapons.
Bonus Feats: At 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level the Gravitonic Master gains a bonus Fighter feat of their choosing.
Gravitonic Ability DC: For the effects of this class that would require a saving throw, the DC is equal to 10 + Gravitonic Proficiency + your Constitution modifier. Furthermore, all abilities of the Gravitonic Master are considered nonmagical and purely ability based. The Gravitonic Master derives its power from the fundamental force of gravity, thus, bypassing spells and abilities like Counterspell, Dispel Magic or antimagic cones.
Gravity Points: Your training has taught you how to harness the force of gravity. In order to do this, you spend what is called gravity points. You have a number of gravity points determined by your character level on Table: The Gravitonic Master. You regain all expended gravity points at the end of a long rest. You regain half of your total points at the end of a short rest.
Gravitational Reaction (Ex): Being a master of gravity, the Gravitonic Master has combat reactions which allow you to take certain actions when it is not your turn. You gain your first combat reaction at BAB +1, and an additional combat reaction at BAB +6, BAB +11, BAB +16. Any condition that prevents you from making an attack of opportunity prevents you from using a combat reaction.
Unarmored Gravitational Defense: While you are unarmored your AC is 10 + your Gravitonic Proficiency + Constitution modifier.
Weightless Touch (Ex): Your manipulation of gravity makes things you wear feel almost weightless. You suffer no weight penalties from your equipment or belongings and you cannot become encumbered by your equipment. Additionally, you can dual wield weapons that don't have the light property, but they cannot have the heavy property.
Advanced Class Features
Gravitational Wave: At 2nd level and then again at level 5, you adopt a gravitational wave as your specialty. Choose one of the following options. You can't take a gravitational wave option more than once, even if you later get to choose again. You may pick from the following options:
- Continous Gravitational Wave: You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
- Stochastic Gravitational Wave: While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
- Burst Gravitational Wave: When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
- Compact Binary Inspiral Gravitational Wave: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new role, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
- Linearly Polarised Gravitational Wave: When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose upon the opposing creature a disorienting gravitational field, forcing the creature to roll a second attack die, taking the lower of the two results on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.
- Continous Gravitational Wave: When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack. Also, you do not take penalties from dual wielding.
Gravity Infusion (Ex): At 2nd level, you may enhance your strikes on your foes with the force of gravity. Once per turn you may expend 2 or more gravity points to add 1d8 force damage to your next weapon attack and one extra d8 for every extra two spent. You can add a number of damage die this way to a maximum of your Gravitonic level.
Gravity Aura (Ex): At 3rd level, you may spend 3 gravity points as a Swift Action to surround yourself in a sphere of gravity 35 ft wide centered on you and you may choose up to 3 creatures within the aura to be immune to its effects. This aura can last up to one hour. You may choose to spend two gravity points to switch between the options while your gravity aura is active. When you activate this feature, choose one of these effects:
- Push: Creatures within your aura must make a Fortitude saving throw at the start of their turn. If they fail they are pushed outside the aura's radius.
- Pull: Creatures within your aura must make a Fortitude saving throw at the start of their turn. If they fail they are brought next to you.
- Wave Warp. Creatures within your aura must make a Fortitude saving throw at the start of their turn. If they fail you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as a red dragon’s fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Reflex saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.
Gravity Archetype (Ex): At 3rd level, you choose an archetype that you strive to emulate in your ways of gravity manipulation. Choosing between Collision Soldier, Gravity Knight, Weightless Assassin, & Flux Sentinel. The archetype you choose grants you feats at 3rd level and again at 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th level. These choices can be seen in the section Archetypes.
Gravity Shield (Ex): At 4th level, your body is coated with gravity, as a reaction, you can spend 5 gravity points to add a bonus to your AC against attacks that target only you equal to your Gravitonic Proficiency.
Universal Pull-Push (Ex): At 4th level, you can use a Swift Action to use your gravity to pull or push objects at a distance. You can move your target up to 30 feet towards or away from you in a straight line as long as the target is within 60 feet of you. If your target is an object being worn or carried by an unwilling creature or a creature itself, the target must succeed in a Fortitude saving throw. If the target weighs more than your carry weight, nothing happens.
Gravity Actions (Ex): You may use your gravity aura to directly attack a creature. When applicable add your Constitution modifier + Gravitonic Proficiency to your Gravity attacks.
- Cutting Wave. Beginning at 5th level, you may spend 3 gravity points to project your gravity in a way that allows it to cut through matter from a distance causing 3d6 force damage in a 30ft line.
- Gravity Spikes. Beginning at level 8, at the cost of 4 gravity points, you can create and project needles/spikes of gravity to impale targets within 10 feet of you causing 4d6 force damage. These spikes can be projected in mid-air or generated from the ground; potentially creating a trail of needles that restrict the creatures from making attacks of opportunity and restricting their movement until its next turn on a failed Reflex save.
- Gravity Vortex. At Level 10 with a cost of 5 Gravity points, you can generate a vortex composed of gravity in a single spot at a range of your gravity aura. The vortex has a 5ft radius causing 4d8 force damage. To increase the size of the vortex to a 10ft radius you must expand 3 more gravity points. Creatures who start there turn in the vortex must succeed a Fortitude saving throw or lose half there movement until there next turn.
- Gravity Bullet. At Level 13 at the cost of 2 Gravity points, you can fire bullets of gravity from your own body outside your gravity aura. Each bullet auto hits a creature of your choice that you can see within 90ft. Each bullet Deals 1d10 + your Gravitonic Proficiency dealing Force damage. After the first bullet, the cost is a multiple of 2 Gravity Points.
- Gravity Breath. At Level 15 at the cost of 15 Gravity points, you are able to generate and manipulate gravity within yourself in a way that allows them to shape the exhaling of the effect at a target within a 30 feet cone of you. The target must make a Reflex saving throw, taking 5d6 force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- Gravity Beam. At Level 18 with a cost of 30 Gravity points, you can release a 5ft wide beam of pure solidified Gravity that causes concussive force damage of 7d10+30. You may control the movements of your beam such as making them go in straight lines, curve, twist, turn, bend, ignoring cover. The force of your beam can lock onto targets to really long-range of up to 150 feet. Anybody caught in the beam must make a Reflex saving throw for half damage.
Improved Gravity Infusion (Ex): At 7th level, gravity infusion now deals 1d10 force damage for each two gravity points spent. Again at 17th level, gravity infusion deals 1d12 force damage and additional 1d12 damage for each two gravity points spent.
- Topple: You may spend 2 gravity points to force a targeted creature within your aura to make a Fortitude saving throw or be knocked prone. Creatures knocked prone in this way must roll twice, taking the lower result of the roll on saving throws against your auras effects.
- Fling: You may spend 2 gravity points to force a targeted creature to make a Fortitude saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is thrown 10 feet up in the air. You may spend up to 20 extra gravity points to send the creature up another 10 feet (maximum height thrown is 200ft).
- Restrain: You may spend 2 gravity points to force a targeted creature to make a Fortitude saving throw. On a failed save the creature is restrained by the force of gravity around it for 1 Minute. It cannot move or take any actions, except to remake the saving throw.
Gravity Aura Improvement (Ex): Starting at 11th level, the radius of your gravity aura increases to 70 feet, and you may choose up to 3 more creatures, for a total of 6 (including yourself) within the aura to be immune to its effects. You also gain the following options to choose from when you activate your aura:
- Heavy Gravity: Creatures within the aura must make a Fortitude saving throw whenever they move or attack. On a failed save, the creature is knocked prone and must use its next turn to stand. Ranged attacks in this aura ability must roll twice taking the lower of the two rolls, and have half normal range.
- Light Gravity: Creatures within the aura have their jump height and distance doubled, their speed is doubled and may take 1 extra Standard Action, Reaction/Attack of Opportunity, and Swift Action per turn. Creatures roll twice on ranged attack rolls taking the higher of the two rolls. Objects and creatures within the aura weigh half as much as they would normally.
- Zero Gravity: Creatures within the aura float in place, unable to move without jumping or pushing off of something. Melee attacks are rolled twice and the lower of the two rolls is the used roll, meanwhile, ranged attacks have roll twice and take the higher of the two rolls.
Black Hole (Ex): At 20th level, you may expend all of your remaining gravity points to deal 1d8 of force damage by every 2 points spent to affect everything (including objects) in a 60-foot radius centered on you and be knocked prone, or half as much if succeeded in a Fortitude saving throw and not be knocked prone. Nonmagical objects automatically fail the save.
Those who choose the Archetypal Collision Soldier have extensively studied the effects of their force auras and the objects that interact with them. These Collision Soldiers have undergone extensive research and desire to see the extent of what the force auras can grow and become.
- Gravity Aura Mastery (Ex)
At 3rd level, you can now place your gravity aura at a location that is within 60 feet of you, instead of it being centered on yourself. At 19th level, you may place your gravity aura at a location and as a Standard Action, the following round create a second aura placed on you. These two auras may have the same or different effects.
- Impetus (Ex)
At 7th level, your movement is increased by an additional 10 feet, and on grapple checks you roll twice, taking the higher of the two results.
- Gravitational Zone (Ex)
At 10th level, you can spend 10 gravity points to have your gravity aura create a whirlpool effect, sucking any creature caught in it towards its center. The creature must make a Fortitude saving throw and if it fails it takes 3d6 force damage.
- Orbiting Strike (Ex)
At 15th level, you can use your Standard Action to make a melee attack against any number of creatures within 5 feet of you. You must make a separate attack roll for each attack made.
- Impact Joule (Ex)
At 18th level, you can spend up to 30 gravity points as a Swift Action to make your gravity aura become electrically charged. Creatures in your gravity aura take 1d8 x every 2 points spent. The creature must make a Fortitude saving throw, on a success they take half damage.
Those who choose the archetypal Gravity Knight wish to protect their allies. They become a force of unstoppable might to ensure that whatever they are facing won't budge them. Gravity Knights focus on the principle of shifting the gravity to prevent their allies from taking a hit.
- Vector Shift (Ex)
At 3rd level, when a creature makes a ranged attack against a creature other than you, you can spend 1 gravity point to make the creature's attack hit you instead of its target as a reaction. This ability can only be used once per turn. Once you have reached 19th level you may use this ability equal to your Gravitonic Proficiency per turn.
- G-Force (Ex)
At 7th level, you can spend 5 gravity points to gain the ability to increase the gravity in your aura. Allowing you to use your reaction to make a creature attacking you to do half-Str modifier damage.
- Friction (Ex)
At 10th level, you may spend 5 gravity points to create a field of gravitational friction around a creature within 60 feet of you. That creature must make a Fortitude saving throw or have its movement speed halved for 1 minute.
- Positive-Negative Attraction (Ex)
At 15th level, when a creature within 30 feet of you is hit by a weapon attack, you can spend 5 gravity points as a reaction to push or pull the creature 10 feet, causing the attack to miss. The creature targeted must make a Fortitude save or it is knocked prone after being moved.
- Seismic Slam (Ex)
At 18th level you can spend up to 30 of your current gravity points to slam the earth, creating an earthquake. All creatures in a 200-foot radius of you must make a Reflex saving throw, if they fail they take 1d8 force damage for every 2 gravity points spent.
Those who have chosen the path of the Weightless Assassin have become in tune with the force of gravity to the point that they will create quick executions of their enemies. They go about doing this by striking fast and hard before the enemy has a chance to react.
- Defy Gravity (Ex)
At 3rd level, you have mastered the ability to manipulate the gravity around you. You may use a Swift Action to spend 7 gravity points to gain a fly speed of 60 feet for one minute.
- Weightless Strikes (Ex)
At 7th level, you can spend 2 gravity points to remove the gravitational pressure on your weapon allowing you to make an extra attack. You can do this up to your Gravitonic Master level÷2 (rounded down) + strength or dexterity modifier. You can do this once per turn at 7th level, twice at 11th, and three times at 15th level. You regain all expended uses after a short or long rest. At 19th level, you instead gain two extra attacks instead of one.
- Wrest (Ex)
At 10th level, you have mastered the ability to push or pull an object or creature. You use a Swift Action to spend 5 gravity points to cast the Telekinesis spell.
- Accelerate (Ex)
At 15th level, once per round as a free action, you can spend 15 gravity points to double your speed, and gain an additional Standard Action.
- Collapsing Star (Ex)
At 18th level, as a Standard Action, you can spend 1/2 of your remaining gravity points to attempt to destroy the core of a creature. The creature must make a Fortitude saving throw and upon failing is crushed by the force of gravity upon them, killing them instantly and mutilating its body so severely that nothing (save a wish spell or divine intervention) can restore it. If a success the target takes 10d8 force damage and is knocked prone.
The path of the Flux Sentinel is hard working and complex individuals who have been through many trials transforming them into true wielders of gravitational fields and this fundamental force. A Flux Sentinel although difficult to use, can be one of the most powerful as their unique control over gravity and other gravitational fields makes them a Gravitonic Master in every right.
- Freedom of Gravitation (Ex)
At 3rd level, you have mastered the ability to manipulate your own personal gravitational field. You may use a Swift Action to spend 8 gravity points to gain a fly speed of 30 feet as well as for the duration, your movement is unaffected by difficult terrain, water (while underwater you are surrounded by a 10-ft diameter sphere of air), spells, and other magical effects can neither reduce your speed nor cause you to be paralyzed or restrained. This ability lasts for one minute.
- Fundamental Forces - Push & Pull (Ex)
At 7th level, you can now harness your gravitational field and the gravitational fields of other creatures and objects. By spending 1 or more gravity points as a Standard Action or Swift Action to remove the gravitational limits of your Gravity Aura abilities, you may use these enhanced aura abilities without the actual activation of your aura.
- Repuslive Force: Creatures or objects within your sight must make a Fortitude saving throw when targeted by this ability (maximum targets is equal to your Gravitational Proficiency + Constitution Modifier). If they fail, they are pushed 5-ft per gravity point expended in any direction (the creature or object receives the appropriate damage based on the number of feet they fall or pushed into an opposing object as if they fell. If the creature or object is pushed into something they can be held in place through sheer gravimetric force by making a Concentration skill check against (DC: HD of creature + creature's Constitution modifier). Each round, the creature can make a Fortitude saving throw to attempt to break free of being held in place. If the creature or objects succeed on their saving throw they instead resist having their gravity manipulated.
- Attractive Force: Creatures or objects within your sight must make a Fortitude saving throw when targeted by this ability (maximum targets is equal to your Gravitational Proficiency + Constitution Modifier). If they fail, while you are wielding a weapon or if you are proficient in unarmed attacks, they receive force damage from the weapon as if you had landed a critical hit + an additional d6 per 10ft pulled. If the creature or object succeeds, they resist having their gravity manipulated.
- Almighty Force: By using a Swift Action to spend 12 gravity points per creature or object within your sight, it must make a Fortitude saving throw when targeted by this ability (maximum targets is equal to your Gravitational Proficiency + Constitution Modifier). If they fail, they are under the effects of the Telekinesis spell.
- Almighty Push (Ex)
At 10th level, you have mastered the ability to push not only gravity but energy as well. For the next minute as a Swift Action or Reaction, you may use up to 15 gravity points to increase the strength of your repulsive field. In addition, at 19th level, as a Full Round Action, you can spend 1/2 of your remaining gravity points to attempt to push away every object and creature in a massive radius of up to 25 miles through a buildup of a massive amount of repulsive force which gathers above the target, crushing everything beneath in an enormous explosion. All objects and creatures must make a Fortitude saving throw. On a failed saving throw, the creature is crushed by the force of gravity upon them, killing them instantly and mutilating its body so severely that nothing (save a Wish or Miracle spell) can restore it. Any creature or object that makes a successful saving throw instead take 12d8 force damage and are knocked prone. This second ability can only be used once per long rest and gravitational abilities cannot be used for rounds equal to your Gravitational Proficiency.
- By expending 3 gravity points you half all physical damage types.
- By expending 7 gravity points all ranged attacks have must roll twice and take the lower result against you and half damage from energy based attacks.
- By expending 15 gravity points you gain all the aforementioned abilities as well as whenever you must make a saving throws against spells, roll two die and take the higher of the result.
- Fundamental Force (Ex)
At 15th level, all gravity abilities that are described having a range become limitless. However, the specific gravity of a creature or object becomes increasingly weaker at farther distances. If a Flux Sentinel uses a Gravitonic ability farther than its intended range the Gravitonic Master must make Concentration skill checks periodically (every 10-ft x Constitution Modifier) or the ability is lost.
- Catastrophic Planetary Devestation (Ex)
At 18th level, the Flux Sentinel has learned to create gravity spheres, a powerful technique which emerges from his hands and acts as a center of gravity drawing in everything in its surroundings to create an enormous satellite over a period of turns equal to your Constitution Modifier. All objects make no saving throw and are drawn in. Creatures must make a Dexterity saving throw or be drawn into the satellite. If a creature fails their initial Reflex saving throw they receive 2x the damage from this ability. When using this ability for damage, refer to the Meteor Swarm spell, however, the bludgeoning damage is instead treated as force damage. This ability can only be used once per long rest.
Epic Gameplay, Character Building, Gravitonic Master in Play, & Information
Epic Gravitonic Master
|Bonus Feat, Black Hole Enhancment
|Black Hole Enhancement
6 + Int modifier skill points per level. Use the same skills as the base class.
Black Hole: Upon reaching epic proportions, at 23rd level, the power of the black hole doubles in strength. Anytime black hole is used, it deals twice the amount of damage rolled on a failed save. At 27th level, the damage for this ability triples on a failed saving throw. If a creature succeeds in a saving throw they take double the damage still.
Bonus Feats: The epic Gravitonic Master gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic Fighter bonus feats) every 3 levels after 20th.
Hill Dwarf Gravitonic Master Starting Package
Weapons: War Hammer, small round shield.
Skill Selection: Pick a number of skills equal to 4 + Int modifier.
|<-4 for class skills and 2 for cross-class skills->
|<-Abbreviated key ability->
|<-armor check penalty based on starting armor. If inapplicable put "—"->
|<-4 for class skills and 2 for cross-class skills->
|<-Abbreviated key ability->
|<-armor check penalty based on starting armor. If inapplicable put "—"->
<-copy and paste the rows as necessary.->
Feat: <-1st-level feat selection->.
Bonus Feats: <-1st-level feat bonus feats due to class or sample race. remove this section if this sample doesn't get any bonus feats at 1st level. ->.
Gear: <-Starting armor and other equipment outside of weapons.->.
Gold: <-Starting gold using this package.->.
Playing a Gravitonic Master
Religion: <-description of how this class typically (but no exclusively) approaches religion including likely portfolios it would worship->.
Other Classes: <-How this class typically interacts with other classes and how characters of this class interact with characters of other classes->.
Combat: <-Typical role in combat->.
Advancement: <-Typical advancement options for characters with this class. Include desirable multiclass options->.
Gravitonic Masters in the World
|<-Some quote from a character of this class->
|—<-NPC name->, <-race-> <-class->
<-Where characters of this class fit in a d20 world.->
Daily Life: <-day in the life of a character of this class->.
Notables: <-notable NPCs of this class->.
Organizations: <-info on what, where, when, and how characters of this class congregate and assemble->.
NPC Reactions: <-How NPCs react to PCs of this class->.
Gravitonic Master Lore
Characters with ranks in knowledge (local) or knowledge (nature) can research Gravitonic Masters to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|<-not so common knowledge->.
|<-very rare information->.
Gravitonic Masters in the Game
<-How characters of this class fit in the game (PC and NPC) and what roles they play.->
Adaptation: <-Possible variant conceptions of this class.->.
Sample Encounter: <-DM placement for NPCs of this class.->.
EL : <-Encounter scenario and character info on sample NPC including stat block. The CR of the NPC is typically the same as the EL for the encounter.->.