Formless Druid (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
|“||We thought we were hunting a wolf but when we came upon the beast we realized we had stood against the menagerie of creation itself and were doomed.||”|
|—One-eyed Peter,Human,Hunter, Manuscript of the last words of One-eyed Peter|
While other druids feel that the standard connection to nature through wild shape others desire more and realize the true power of this ability and learn to become a force of nature rather than simply understand it. By learning the wild shape advents you gain greater control over your forms and can become with nature on a personal level.
Becoming a Formless Druid
This Prestige Class brings wild shape into a complete package allowing for utter control over one's form.
|Class: 5th Level Druid or Equivalent Wild Shape abilities. Wisdom ability score must be at least 20 or higher.|
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day/Spells Known|
|1st||+1||+3||+ 1||+3||Wild Shape advent (1), Natural Spell Caster, Nature Lord|
|2nd||+ 2||+ 4||+2||+4||Wild Shape advent (2)||+1 spellcasting class level|
|3rd||+3||+ 4||+ 2||+4||Wild Shape advent (3),Wild Armor, Alter Form|
|4th||+4||+5||+ 3||+5||Wild Shape advent (4)||+1 spellcasting class level|
|5th||+5||+6||+3||+6||Wild Shape advent (5)|
|6th||+6||+7||+4||+7||Wild Shape advent (6), Pure Elemental shifter||+1 spellcasting class level|
|7th||+7||+7||+4||+7||Wild Shape advent (7), Attuned Planar Movement, Attuned to the Wild|
|8th||+8||+8||+5||+8||Wild Shape advent (8), Formless tongue||+1 spellcasting class level|
|9th||+9||+8||+5||+8||Wild Shape advent (9)|
|10th||+10||+9||+6||+9||Wild Shape advent (10), Boundless form||+1 spellcasting class level|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level)
All of the following are class features of the Formless Druid, furthermore all class features of the Formless Druid stack concurrently with that of the Druid class only if the previous class was solely the Druid class. For example if you advance into a 1st level Formless Druid and were originally a 5th level Druid, you are now a considered to be a 6th level Druid. When gaining levels as a Formless Druid you add all bonuses received to your Druid class while also receiving the regular bonuses and abilities from your Druid class. However, the player cannot multi-class into other classes like, Sorcerer or Warrior, until the Formless Druid has reached max level.* You can however, multi-class before adopting the Formless Druid prestige class but the player's previous Druid level will not stack concurrently with the Formless Druid class.
- Note*: If the player was solely the Druid class before obtaining the Formless Druid Prestige class, and if the Formless Druid class reaches max level before the player's character reaches level 20 (adding the Formless Druid prestige class level to the Druid class), the player is treated as a 20th Level Druid. The player will gain a level adjustment accordingly if their overall level is less than 20 after obtaining the maximum level for the Formless Druid prestige class. However, the player may continue to level up and gain Epic Levels even with this maximum level prestige class and the level adjustment.
Wildshape: Levels in Formless Druid stack with your Druid level for determining duration, hit dice of forms, and the number of times per day the ability can be used.
Nature Lord: A Formless Druid treats anything he can wildshape into as an animal for the purpose of spells, class abilities, and skills. Any relevant DCs for those creatures change by -10 for creatures without an intelligence score, -5 for Constructs with no master, +15 for intelligent creatures, +30 for dragons, and +40 for Aberrations and Outsiders.
Spellcasting: At every other level you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except if you belonged solely to the Druid class before adding this prestige class. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Formless Druid, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.
Wild Shape advent (Ex): Starting at 1st level and every level thereafter you may select an advent from the list below. Each advent enhances your wild shape ability and can be used as a normal enhancement of the ability (i.e. when you gain a new size). The character can use his or her normal wild shape ability to take the form or size of any creature type gained below. The size limitation is the same as the character’s limitation on animal size to include new sizes granted by advents. The character gains all supernatural abilities of that advent's creature-type.
- Large and in Charge: Able to change into Large forms.
- Bigger is Better: Able to change into Huge forms. (Requires Large and in Charge)
- Giant in the Jar: Able to change into Diminutive and Gargantuan size forms.
- Dust on the Mountain: Able to change into Fine and Colossal size forms. (Requires Giant in the Jar)
- Fairy Tales Live: Able to change into Fey, Giant, Beast, and Magical Beast types.
- Infested Shrub: Able to change into vermin, ooze, and plant type beings.(If you take the form of swarms all parts must be in same 5ft square to change form again.)
- Everyman and Not: Able to change into any Humanoid and Monster-Humanoid types.
- Bump in the Night: Able to change change into Aberration and undead types. (May not change into construct based undead)
- It's alive: Able to change wild shape into constructs. (Requires Bump in the Night)
- Rising Dragon: Able to change into any dragon. (Can not use Dust on the mountain, or Giant in a jar) the size will go off the HD to caster level.
- From Beyond: Able to change into Outsiders. (Requires Bump in the Night)
- Master of Transmutation: From the mastery of the wild shape comes the ability for a Formless Druid to manipulate nearly every aspect of her body. You can apply any other advent to a creature, give them a specific supernatural ability from any other creature, or apply them to yourself as long as you have knowledge of the specific creature. Your Wild Shape form or targeted creature can only have a max of 5 supernatural abilities from other creatures (not including any supernatural abilities a creature or your Wild Shape might already have). The Formless Druid may manipulate their Wild Shape, targeted creature, or original form to have any physical attribute they desire (Example: A Grizzly Bear having a long spiked tail or leathery wings). These adapted supernatural abilities or physical attributes cannot be from a creature that exceeds the player character's HD. If one of these advents is applied to a willing creature, the supernatural abilities or physical attributes cannot be from a creature that exceeds that willing creature's HD. The manipulation of the Formless Druid's Wild Shape, original form, or targeted creature to gain more supernatural abilities costs 1 Wild Shape per ability gained and takes a Standard Action. Any physical manipulation to a Formless Druid's original or Wild Shaped form can be done as a Standard Action. Any physical alteration remains permanent after 8 hours. However, if applied to a willing creature the physical alteration can be negated at anytime before 8 hours with a successful Fortitude saving throw (DC: 10 + HD of willing creature). Any adopted supernatural ability remains adopted for only 8 hours. (Requires at least 3 other Advents before being able to choose this Advent)
- Doppler of the Beings: be able to change into any same size being or creature that you have seen before and or study. would get the same specials abilities and attacks as would the creature or being you turned into.
- Nature's Cycle: You can use your Wild Shape one more time per day, in addition you gain the ability to transform once more into Elemental form. When you pick this advent you may choose one additional advent as well. (May be taken multiple times - Cannot pick Nature's Cycle again)
- Nature vs. Nurture: Able to change into creatures equal to your maximum HD + your Wisdom Mod. Gain 1 additional Wild Shape. (Requires Formless Druid level 10 and Wisdom score of 25+)
Natural Spell Caster (Ex): You can complete the verbal and somatic components of spells while in a wild shape. You substitute various noises and gestures for the normal verbal and somatic components of a spell. You can also use any material components or focuses you possess, even if such items are melded within your current form. This feat does not permit the use of magic items while you are in a form that could not ordinarily use them, and you do not gain the ability to speak while in a wild shape, unless the creature has the ability to speak.
Wild Armor (Ex): Any armor or shield the druid has equipped when using Wild Shape is treated as if it had the wild enchantment. (The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen. When wild shaping into a form that normally would have a weapon (as described by the source book or determined by the DM) the Druid may use the weapons and are drawn when the form is taken. You must choose between this or Alter Form at the start of a new day.
Alter Form (Su): A Formless Druid of at least 3rd level may use one Wildshape to apply templates to themselves, or a creature, or give up a number of hours on their wildshape equal to the CR adjustment to apply templates to any form they can take. If applying a template to a non-willing creature they must make a Fortitude saving throw against the Formless Druid's base spellcasting DC to negate this alteration. You must choose between this or Wild Armor at the start of a new day.
Attuned Planar Movement (Ex): A Formless Druid of at least 7th level gains the ability to move and attack normally even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, web, or an anti-magical field. However, your attacks suffer a penalty of -1/Formless Druid Level while influenced by such a magical effect. A Formless Druid with this ability gains a +1/Formless Druid level on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin. This ability also allows the subject to move and attack normally in any type of rough terrain or underwater, even with slashing weapons, bludgeoning weapons, or piercing weapons, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled. The Formless Druid must spend an hour meditating on the plane beforehand to gain this ability. The Formless Druid also gains any resistances that the plane would normally give to creatures already occupying that plane, such as, resistance to cold, radiant, or necrotic type damage.
Attuned to the Wild (Su): A Formless Druid of at least 7th level may use one Wildshape as a Standard Action to move between planes (as if casting Greater Plane Shift) on herself and up to six willing targets regardless if the Formless Druid is Wildshaped or not. Furthermore if this ability is used on a unwillingly creature(s) they must make a Reflex saving throw (DC: 10 + Wis Mod + 1/2 Character Level) or be brought to another plane. Making a successful Reflex save against this ability negates this effect. Once per long rest, a Formless Druid can spend an hour attuning to a specific plane. While attuned to that specific plane the Formless Druid may use this ability as a Free Action to Greater Plane Shift to that attuned plane but cannot bring unwilling creatures. The Formless Druid can pick a new plane to attune to after a long rest or maintain attunement to the previously chosen plane.
Formless tongue (Ex): While Wildshaped you can speak as you normally could but speech is limited to basic words with short sentences. While Wildshaped you may speak to any like creature such as if you were in a wolf form you could speak to any wolf or canine that meets the normal criteria for speaking.
Pure Elemental shifter (Ex): You may now Wildshape into any elemental. The size limitation is the same as the character’s limitation on animal size including new sizes granted by advents and this ability can be used outside of the Druid's Wildshape ability. You may use a normal Wildshape use to change into an elemental.
Boundless form (Ex): The Druid gains the Shapeshifter template for their natural form along with any other template they already have. In addition, you may now change your form while currently Wildshaped up to your wisdom modifier in addition to the amount of Wildshapes the character already has available to them. The effect does not cost a use of Wildshape but is dismissed when the character returns to their normal form. The size limitation is the same as the character’s limitation on animal size to included new sizes granted by advents. Duration of Wildshape does not reset.