Fire Elementals (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Fiery inhabitants of the Elemental Plane of Fire, these conjured beings only exist in the material plane at the will of their conjurers. This is a proof of concept race that I am currently working on. I have not yet playtested a character as a fire elemental and will be updating this in the upcoming weeks.
Fire elementals are not well like by common people and as such tend to avoid towns when they are free. Most fire elementals are summoned as guardians of powerful wizards or artifacts and must be bound to a physical object to prevent them from returning to the elemental plane of fire. Given half the chance they would see nothing more than complete annihilation of all traces of life from the material plane to be replaced by the scorching fire of their home.
The average weight of a fire elemental depends on the object it is bound to, as the elemental itself weighs nothing. The average height of the elemental depends on how much energy it has consumed. All about it is fiery red and orange, eyes, "hair", "skin."
Many races hate fire elementals due to their tendency towards destruction and death. Most fire elementals do not care who helps them only who holds them back, as their magical binders often do.
Fire elementals are generally chaotic evil due to their love of fiery destruction and the fact that they are trying to destroy all life.
Fire elementals live commonly on the elemental plane of fire unless they are caught in a summoning ritual that takes them to other planes.
Fire elementals do not normally worship any god but those who do worship Erythnul (The god of slaughter) or Wee Jas (The god of death and magic).
Fire elementals all speak Ignan and they also speak some Common.
On their home plane the fire elementals do not give themselves names instead describing themselves in Ignan. However once summoned the elementals may be given names by the ones who conjure them. Commonly their names are in draconic referring to their fiery nature(ex. Ixen Atonus).
- +2 Dexterity
- +4 Intelligence
- -2 Wisdom
- -6 Charisma
- Fire elementals can change their size based on the energy in their bodies. See Energy.
- Fire elementals' base land speed is 30 feet: Has a climb speed of 20 feet. Cannot swim in nonflammable liquids.
- Bound Conjuration: Fire elementals are summoned to the material plane by wizards and sorcerers using a physical object to anchor them to the plane. Upon conjuration and whenever the conjurers goals differ from it’s own it may try to seize control and dominate the conjurer. The conjurer makes a Will Save and the fire elemental makes a DC equal to the Conjurers Will Save + 4. If the Fire Elemental succeeds it's roll it is now dominating the Conjurer and is in control until the Conjurer meets the same requirements to try to regain control of the Fire Elemental.
- Bound Weapon: All fire elementals have a weapon that grows and shrinks along with the elemental, doing more or less damage.
- Energy(Su): Fire elementals do not have health in the way material beings do, instead they have energy that they can regenerate by absorbing fire. They can overcharge up to double energy; however, it drains at a rate of 1/round until back at base energy. Base starting energy is always 15 + Con and they gain 1d4 + Con energy per level. At 0 energy the elemental goes into a hibernation state in which they can only be revived by heating their binding component to 1500°F. Elementals can absorb fire to regain energy equal to the cubic feet of fuel used(consumes all fuel and extinguishes the fire). The elemental loses energy by taking magic or elemental damage(not fire) or having a limb removed by any means. When losing a limb the elemental will not lose energy immediately and can regenerate the limb. Using one standard action an elemental can regenerate all limbs. When limbs are regenerated the elemental uses 3 energy per limb. For this case the head is not considered a limb, regenerating instantly without an energy cost. The elemental's size is based on remaining energy. It does gain stat increases or decreases based on size.
- Energy(cont.): Fire elementals can choose to expend energy at an increased rate to burn hotter dealing bonus fire damage on unarmed attacks and having different effects on the environment.
|Color||Energy Use||Bonus Unarmed Damage||Bonus Effect on Environment|
|Red(hibernation)||1/month||0||25% chance to ignite combustibles, Cannot move or interact|
|Yellow/Orange||1/day||1||50% chance to ignite combustibles, warp stone as touch attack, heat metal as touch attack|
|Blue||1/minute||1d4||75% chance to ignite combustibles, melt stone as touch attack, warp metal as touch attack|
|White||1/round||1d8||100% chance to ignite combustibles, melt stone as touch attack, melt metal as touch attack|
- Fiery caster: Can use 2 + Int spell level fire spells (have fire or flame in name or deal fire damage). Can use unlimited times per day. Does not need to prepare. Uses 2 + (Spell Level) Energy per use.
- Fire Shield(Sp): Melee attackers take 1d4 damage. (As if effected by fire shield)
- Fire Affinity(Su): Fire based spells heal for ½ of the damage they would normally do. Cold based spells deal double damage.
- Flaming Form: Due to it being fire it cannot enter non-flammable liquids and will take 1d10 damage per second it is in a non-flammable liquid. If in a flammable liquid it immediately lights on fire and is consumed by the elemental.
- Immaterial: Does not take damage unless losing a limb. Cannot wear armor and gains +4 AC natural armor increasing by 1 every 4 levels instead. Also cannot carry anything other than one soul-bound weapon and the physical object it is bound to. Blunt Weapons deal slashing damage to them and piercing weapons have no effect.
- Glowing: Shines with the brightness of a bulls-eye lantern illuminating clearly for 60 ft and providing shadowy illumination for another 60 ft. Cannot hide in the dark and takes -4 to regular hide checks.
- Survival of the Fittest: Can attempt to consume another elemental. DC is 10 + 5 * size modifier difference (1 size smaller = ½, 1 size bigger = 2)
- Automatic Languages: Ignan, Common. Bonus Languages: Auran, Terran, Aquan, Demonic + Race Language of Conjurer (Both count as one language)
- Favored Class: Wizard
- Level Adjustment: +2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|