Fairies (Fairytale) (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
This race was created for my Fairytale campaign, it needed to fit into a child book type fantasy game that has plenty of PG13 elements.
Fairies are often goofy. They do not take to maturity well. They are easily scared and tend to run rather than fight when confronted. They like to mess with people, and tend to use a non serious approach when they are needed to help. You can trust them with your life, not your dignity. They are not praised on their knowledge and are easily distracted. Though there are some very powerful fairies that tend to shy away from civilization and are known to be much smarter than their outgoing brethren. They tend to think about something for years before doing anything.
Fairies are known to be a bit shorter then Elves, standing average at 4 to 5 feet tall and typically weigh somewhere between 80 to 115 pounds, with the male fairies usually standing taller and weighing more than a female. Fairies tend to have blue, purple, or green skin with a darker shade of the same colors for their hair. Their eyes are normally in shades of deep blues, purples, and greens. They prefer simple, comfortable clothes, things they can use to climb trees or swim in. They do not posses wings, unlike most of the lore, and tend to get annoyed when they are asked what happened to them.
Fairies are usually easy to get along with, if you have endless patience. Fairies can get annoying very fast if you don't like or understand their humor. They have been known to accept almost anyone that can get on their good side, doesn't matter who they are, doesn't matter what race, class, or religion. On the other hand, with the more secluded fairies, who think before they act, they will hide away from everyone, usually untrusting of anyone who is not a fairy or similar. If you can befriend one of these though, they can and will protect you with their lives.
Many fairies don't see things in such a moral black and white. If it's boring, they can and will do something, anything, to make it more fun. They tend to be Neutral Chaotic, leaning more toward chaotic then anything. And their brethren, the smarter of the race, tend to be calm and think in the same morally grey spectral. They don't like being bored, but are more likely to bend things from the background to make them more interesting rather than try to cause an explosion of excitement like the others. So they would usually lean toward Either Evil Neutral or Good Neutral.
Fairies tend to inhabit forests or mountains, depending on them. They don't really like the more urban areas, and though most fairies love the water, they couldn't live in it, only near it.
Fairies aren't ones to stop and pray, though they do believe in gods who watch over the forests or mountains where they grew up. They are superstitious though, most of them are afraid to anger the gods they follow as they are taught that their gods can and will rain fire on them if they disrespect them.
All fairies can speak Common, but most lack the ability to speak any other language. If they set out to learn a language other than Common, it can take over 60 years for them to learn the basics.
Fairies don't choose their names until they are teens, usually going by Son of (Mother's Name) or Daughter of (Father's Name) until they come of age to choose their name. If they have many siblings they would be known as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Son/Daughter of (Mother/Father). The fairies choose their names when they are taken into whichever town is near their home. If it is a human town, they will choose a human name they heard while there, or and Elvin town will get them an Elvin name.
- +1 Con, -1 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Int, +3 Wis, -3 Cha: Fairies are weak creatures by nature, they usually know they are weak and tend to stay out of confrontations. They are agile and can balance on the thinnest of branches when they need to. They use their dexterity to run, in most cases, instead of staying to fight.
While weak, they have great stamina, again, used to run away as fast and as long as possible. They are not known for their smarts, and the smart ones have to work hard to get the intelligence they posses. But while they aren't smart, they are Wise. Many of them can see a bad situation before it happens and find a way to prevent it using whatever intelligence they do posses, even if that sometimes means flirting with some guy they thought was making someone uncomfortable. They are usually, not persuasive at all. While physically attractive, most fairies have too loud a personality for anyone to want to get close for anything but friendship. They aren't very good leaders, unless you need someone to lead a retreat. Most don't know when to stop and use their 'inside' voice.
- They are Fey creatures that get offended if you insinuate that they are short.
- They are Small: Fairies gain a +4 bonus on Hide checks and a -4 penalty on grapple checks.
- Fairies base land speed is 30 feet: That is all, though they can fall pretty quickly from 20 feet in the air, watch out for Falling Fairies!
- Low-Light vision: A fairy can see twice as far as a human under dim lighting conditions.
- Dodge: Fairies get a +4 AC against attack on opportunities.
- Mischievous: Fairies gain a +2 bonus on all Hide and Bluff checks.
- Anti-Gravity: Fairies can essentially turn gravity off for themselves and whoever they are holding, sending them into the air pretty quickly. Unfortunately, they can only turn it on and off, they cannot control it while in the air. Most Fairies use it as a prank move or to ascend to a higher ledge while climbing mountains. And if they practice enough, they can use it well in battle. The highest they can ascend is usually 20 feet.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: It's very hard for them to learn more then just Common.
- Favored Class: Either Bard or Druid.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||90 years||125 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d6||95 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 7"||+2d6||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|