Ex-machina (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
I do not take ownership of this race. The race Ex-machina belongs copyright to the anime No Game No Life. This is simply a fan work. I take NO credit. Ex-machina are stronger than your average race as they are meant as a highly progressive and intelligent race that are mainly defensive in nature. All abilities and strengths are copied and translated into D&D as they would be found in the anime No Game No Life. In campaigns, please consult the DM first before attempting to adopt this as your chosen race.
Ex-machina are a race of artificial intelligence, with a constant thirst for knowledge, and a goal to find love through the use of a heart. The Ex-machina are generally a hive mind being linked through clusters, or groups of Ex-machina given specific instructions such as scouting, defense, or research. They appear to be a race of cybernetic life forms that appear in legend only as the Ex-machina usually eliminate any perceived threat to their cluster. They are mentally linked by conveying information received by each unit to clusters which is then conveyed to the administrator, callsign Einithi. Administrators are the caretakers and directors of each cluster. In a process much like a server to the computer, their hierarchy is formed by different roles based on the former.
However, dysfunctional units are often separated from their cluster and exiled. As they usually designate each other with complicated numbers, an Ex-machina named Shuvi is the first named unit by her respective "unique figure". Shuvi, an exiled Ex-machina scout unit was separated and exiled from her cluster due to a "malfunction" that administrators accepted as damning to the hive mind. But, through unexpected parameters, she was allowed to reintegrate into the hive mind right before her death. Her experiences, thoughts, and goal to find a heart was successful which exceeded original unorthodox goals.
Ex-machina all have a pair of mechanical wings along their back, some have it on their shoulders, some the middle, others have their pair along the small of their back. The color of their wings and the rest of their mechanical peices on their bodies varies depending on the types of alloy they are constructed from. They have mechanical pieces along their bodies such as along the torso, near the ears, biceps, and any other vital areas of the body. Their eyes are mechanical as is their entire body, with flesh covering their mechanical frame like an exoskeleton. Their eyes are usually varying colors and change depending on mood, an analysis being made, etc. Thin and frail as well, the Ex-machina were built to look frail and weak, even though they excel in combat. All Ex-machina wear a mechanical halo which is tilted to the side. Some other races believe this is because it acts as a radar dish of some sort to relay information to the hive mind. Ex-machina are generally sexless, however, if given a name, they can take on the role of a gender.
Ex-machina are a defensive race in nature. If not provoked, they have no aggression towards the person or group. Therefore, they could potentially lose if they are beaten by the first move or if an unpredictable method they have not seen before is used before they can fully assess and correct the situation. Ex-machina tends to stay away from superior races like the Flügel_(3.5e_Race) as they are at war with them. With inferior races such as Humans, they seem to study them with interest but always keep their distance to not interact with them. When an isolated and exiled unit leaves a cluster they are free to do as they wish.
Ex-machina are constantly searching for their purpose in the world and seek knowledge to continue to grow and become perfect beings so they act lawfully and accordingly with the directive given by an administrator or cluster initiative.
Ex-machina can be found in the massive floating cities created in its own plane. This plane consists of large computers and mechanical hubs for possibly storing information. It is rare they go out on their own.
Ex-machina worship Horuo, the god of doubt. She created the Ex-machina to answer her own endless questions.
Ex-machina interacts telepathically through their cluster and hive connections with a specific coding language only Ex-machina or highly intelligent creatures can understand. However, they seem to be able to quickly learn and adapt to any language spoken to them.
Ex-machina are usually known by their designations or numbers. Ex-machina can also have a name of their own if given to them by some other creature.
- An Ex-machina has +2 Dexterity, +3 Intelligence, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma. Ex-machina are quick and highly intelligent, They are beings created by their god to solve any question she has about any topic. Capable of surviving explosions and slaughtering the most feared races in combat.
- Construct (Living)
- Medium size
- Ex-machina base land speed is 40 feet (60 if hovering). Ex-machina also have a fly speed of 100, with near-perfect maneuverability.
- Flight: Ex-machina wings allow them to hover in place. They may also use their wings to hover off the ground, yet may not move more than 60 feet per move. If their wings are critically damaged, the wings begin repairing themselves in 1d5 days.
- Hive Mentality: Ex-machina is a race of AI that acts accordingly to a hive collective. Due to this hive mentality, Ex-machina gain bonuses which allow them to process and understand things more quickly. Ex-machina when making any skill check with Intelligence or Wisdom roll that d20 twice and take the higher roll as the hive collective aids in the processing of the information the Ex-machina is absorbing.
- Ex-machina do NOT require sleep as they are machines, yet they can rest if they want, to a max of 4 hours, though they gain nor lose anything from doing so or not. If playing a spell user, an Ex-machina gets their spells per day at midnight, unless they rest, then they get their spells per day according to how long they slept, and however much they had before they rested. They also gain life the same way.
- Replication: Due to their nature of living in clusters and sharing a linked mind, as well as their AI-like nature, they have superior calculation abilities and communication usually takes no more than 3 seconds. It is said that they are able to replicate any attack launched at them in less than 10 seconds after seeing it. With their mechanical body, the Ex-machina can instantly construct any object used to attack them or emulate any spell cast at them, disregarding spell level. Any item replicated is immediately destroyed after 1 round of use. Any spell emulated is recorded and stored for later use. The stored spells an Ex-machina can have are equal to the Ex-machina's Intelligence and Wisdom Modifier combined. When an Ex-machina uses this Replication, they must use their Standard Action or Attack of Opportunity.
- Mechanical Halo: Ex-machina also have what appears to be a halo above their heads, on a slant, but it's more mechanical than a plain old ring, and it lights up anything in a 10 ft radius when it's total darkness. This is also the Ex-machina magic and spell source. The more powerful a spell an Ex-machina appears the larger the Halo will grow and glow
- Low-Light Vision out to 60 ft.
- Spirit Circuits: As an Ex-machina whenever there is an antimagic field, they become very uneasy and get a -2 to all their rolls depending on Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. This does not affect the Ex-machina when using Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, or Intimidate due to the Ex-machina's Adaptive Speaking ability. They also lose their ability of flight, however, if they fall from a height where they would take damage, they take only 1 point of non-lethal due to this being a usual thing, they have grown accustomed to it (This effect also works when the Ex-machina falls unconscious mid-air).
- An Ex-machina may also simply walk on walls as if it was with a spider climb effect, without the speed penalty (as long as it can fly).
- Heart of Machines: In unique situations, Ex-machina can break off from their hive and clusters. Though they do not have the entire hive mind at their disposable they gain something that rivals their power; a heart. If an Ex-machina is no longer a part of the hive mind they gain the "heart algorithm." When this takes effect, they gain all bonuses from the ability "Hive Mentality" even though they are not a part of the hive mind anymore.
- Adaptive Reflexes: Ex-machina are machines, Living Constructs built to answer their god's questions. Each unit posses the ability of Fast Healing 3/round. In an anti-magic field, this ability is negated.
- Adaptive Speaking: Ex-machina possess this unique ability as an AI. When any creature speaks to an Ex-machina or when an Ex-machina reads any form of language, the Ex-machina can spend a Standard Action analyzing the language and attempt to learn it instantly. The Ex-machina must make a Decipher Language skill check (a new skill specifically for Ex-machina). The DC for this skill depends on how complex the language of the creature the Ex-machina is trying to understand, this difficulty is determined by the DM.
- Ex-machina gain +2 racial bonus on Forgery Checks, and +2 racial bonus on Balance while flying.
- Ageless: An Ex-machina is immortal in age only. They may still die from a disease, environmental hazards, or simply combat, however, because of this, they take no penalties when they reach certain ages.
- Automatic Languages: Ex-machina, Celestial, Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
- Favored Class: Any Class
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|8075 years||9100 years||12150 years||N/A years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 7"||+2d6||155 lb.||× (2d8) lb.|
|Female||5' 5"||+2d4||145 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|