Esprit (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Esprits focus on meditation to achieve inner peace and great personal power, attaining minor abilities of a magical, incarnum and psionic nature.
Making an Esprit
<-Strong points and weak points, and effectiveness with party members.->.
Abilities: Wisdom and constitution are the most important attributes for an Esprit as they govern the power of their abilities.
Races: Humans, half-elves and elves are the most likely races to become Esprits. Dwarves and gnomes are often too focused on the real world to delve the depths of the soul. Half-orcs are generally don't have the patience required to become an Esprit. Halflings are often too care-free to have the discipline the path of the Esprit requires.
Alignment: Any non Chaotic Evil.
Starting Gold: 2d4×10 gp (50 gp).
Starting Age: Simple
|1st||+0||+2||+2||+2||Path of Ascension||0|
|4th||+2||+4||+4||+4||Legendary Concentration +1||2|
|8th||+4||+6||+6||+6||Legendary Concentration +2||4|
|10th||+5||+7||+7||+7||Secondary Path of Ascension||5|
|12th||+6/+1||+8||+8||+8||Legendary Concentration +3||6|
|16th||+8/+3||+10||+10||+10||Legendary Concentration +4||8|
|20th||+10/+5||+12||+12||+12||Legendary Concentration +5, Tertiary Path of Ascension||10|
All of the following are class features of the Esprit.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: All simple weapons. No armor proficiency.
Powers Known(Ps): Esprits gain a small selection of psi-like powers. One at every even level. These abilities require the Esprit to expend concentration points. All Esprits start with 3 points per round at level one. Minor abilities use a move action to activate and by default cost one concentration point, major use a standard action and cost two points unless otherwise specified, special effects use a full round action unless noted otherwise. Esprits choose their powers from the following list:
- (Minor)By reserving one point per round, you can see all living creature and magical objects within 5ft per Esprit level. Invisible creatures still have concealment, but you know what square they are in.
- (Major)You can focus to learn things about anyone or thing you can see with Detect(Gather Information or Knowledge +Esprit level +wisdom modifier). This functions as an identify spell for magical items.
- (Special) Spend 3 points and make a concentration check against a DC (10+2*spell level+1/2 caster level) to counter any one spell per round that you can see with minor detect. This is an immediate action.
- (Minor)Move up to 1 lb/ Esprit level as long as you can see it.
- (Major)Move up to 10 lb/Esprit level.
- (Special) Spend 5 points to have a field of force around you projectiles must deal wisdom modifier +1/2 Esprit level of their damage to your shield before reaching you and people within 5ft of you must make str checks to make any physical action DC wisdom modifier +1/2 Esprit level. This shield lasts your wisdom modifier in rounds and has an upkeep cost of one point per round.
- (Minor)Gain the benefits of the Endurance feat and +1HP per Esprit level.
- (Major) You gain a 5% resistance per Esprit level to poison, disease, and exposure and have 5% more carrying capacity per Esprit level.
- (Special) Spend 5 points to have both endurance effects, raise your BAB to medium and your health by 2 per HD. Has an upkeep of 3 points per round to maintain the effect.
- (Minor) You may send messages within 100ft to a willing subject in a language you know(they must make a wisdom check DC 15 minus your level and wisdom modifier to hear you).
- (Major) You may scream into the minds of those around you within 30ft making them take -(lvl+wis)/3 to all actions for wis rounds(Will save to negate).
- (Special) Spend 5 points may use the telepathy ability in any language at a 1 mile range with up to your wisdom modifier in targets, or you may mind screech with doubled range and deal one damage per Esprit level.
- Read Mind:
- (Minor) You can hear the surface thoughts of everyone in 30ft, getting a general feel for how they would reacte to your actions and words giving you a +2 bonus on social skills. Requires one point per round to maintain.
- (Major) You can create the effect of a detect thoughts spell. You gain a +4 social skills and concentration checks against the affected targets. Requires 2 points per round to maintain.
- (Special) Spend 5 points to see and hear through the minds of all targets in 30ft. You can no longer be flanked and add their spot and listen bonuses to your own(Will save negates). Requires 5 points per round to maintain.
- Gather Energy:
- (Minor) Add 1 essentia per concentration point spent to your essentia pool up to a maximum of your concentration points per round.
- (Major) Gain your wisdom modifier in spell points or power points per concentration point spent up to a maximum of your concentration points per round.
- (Special) Spend 5 points to gain level+2*wis spell resistance. Any spell resisted will grant you use of metamagic or metapsionic feats equal to their spell level or temporary essentia equal to the spell level for one round.
- Soul Siphon:
- (Minor) Gain wis number of skills that the target posesses(your choice). You use their ranks and bonuses but your ability scores. Requires a ranged touch attack against the target. Read mind minor grants +2 to this attack, major +4.
- (Major) Deal ability, spell point or health damage equal to wis, you gain the damage done as a temporary boost for your Esprit level+wisdom rounds at the end of the duration the damage is undone. Same effects do not stack but do refresh the duration. Requires a ranged touch attack and allows a will save to negate. Read mind minor grants +2 to the attack and save DC, major +4.
- (Special) If you have three boosts active from the same target you may spend 5 points to mimic one of their class features or extraordinary abilities. Requires 5 points to maintain.
- Mind Spike:
- (Minor) Daze one target for one round. Add your wisdom modifier to DC per point spent(Will DC 5+wis).
- (Major)Cast inflict wounds according to your level to deal damage to health, spell, or power points.
- (Special) Spend 4 points to cause confusion as the spell in one target, usable wisdom times per day.
- Time Distortion:
- (Minor)You see a few moments into the future constantly, you may cause a reroll of any roll related to you up to level or wisdom times per day(use the lower value).
- (Major) You can give a standard action to yourself as a swift action or remove one from someone else as a standard action wisdom times per day.
- (Special) Spending 5 points you may cast time stop 1/day.
- (Minor) Cast cure wounds appropriate to your level for healing health or providing a spell shield to absorb magic damage.
- (Major) You radiate power equal to your level which can be used to either heal or grant a spell shield to one target per con. Requires 2 points per round to maintain.
- (Special) For 5 points you may empower any target with one of your minor abilities once per day for wis days.
Path of Ascension: At level one the Esprit chooses one of the following paths gaining bonuses based upon his choice. At level ten the Esprit may pick a second path but only receives the effects as though they were taking it as a level one. At level twenty the Esprit attains the level one effect of the third and final path of ascension.
- Path of the Mind: You gain minor spellcasting ability. Your caster level is equal to half of your Esprit level(minimum 1) and you use wisdom to determine all effects related to spellcasting.
- Level 1: You gain the spells known and spell point progression of a bard of your Esprit level. Your spells are drawn from any list but must be Divination, Transmutation, Illusion or Abjuration spells. You also gain the Precocious Apprentice feat. You also gain Knowledge(All), Spellcraft, and Use Magic Device as class skills if this is your primary path.
- Level 5: You gain the Combat Casting feat.
- Level 10: You gain the Obtain Familiar feat.
- Level 15: You gain the Improved Familiar feat.
- Level 20: You gain the Practiced Spellcaster feat.
- Path of the Body: You gain minor psionic ability. Your manifester level is equal to half of your Esprit level. You use wisdom to determine bonus power points and constitution to determine the DC to resist your powers.
- Level 1: You gain the following feats Healing Meditation, Psionic Meditation, and Psionic Body. You also gain a single 1st level power from the Psychic Warrior list and 3 power points. You also gain Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Iaijutsu Focus, Jump, and Tumble as class skills if this is your primary path.
- Level:15 You gain Resistance. You gain one more power known up to 4th level from the Psychic Warrior list and now have 36 power points.
- Path of the Soul: You gain minor meldshaping abilities. Your meldshaper level is equal to half of your Esprit level. You use constitution to determine all effects related to meldshaping.
- Level:1 You gain the following feats Psychic Meditation, Shape Archetype Soulmeld, Incarnum Fortified Body, Azure Toughness. You also gain Knowledge(Planes, Religion, Spirits, and Nature), Lucid Dreaming, and Perform as class skills if this is your primary path.
- Level:5 You gain Deep Psychic Meditation, and Sapphire Sprint. You may bind soulmelds to one of your least chakra, you gain two essentia.
- Level:10 You gain Deep Psychic Meditation, and Heart of Incarnum. You gain an additional soulmeld to shape and two more essentia.
- Level:15 You gain Deep Psychic Meditation, and Healing Soul. You may bind soulmelds to two of your least chakra, and one lesser, you gain two more essentia.
- Level:20 You gain Double Chakra, and Expanded Soulmeld Capacity. You may bind soulmelds to all three of your least, two lesser chakra, and one greater, you gain an additional soulmeld to shape and three more essentia.
A chaotic evil Esprit can no longer advance in the class. All Esprit abilities become vile and twisted, any ability that normally would have healed now does negative energy damage instead, all bonuses become profane. The Esprit radiates an aura of evil, any good creature within 100ft able to detect evil senses the Esprit's presence and can discern his general location no matter the impairment.
|24th||Legendary Concentration +6|
|28th||Legendary Concentration +7|
4 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Legendary Concentration: You continue to gain concentration points at the same rate as pre-epic.
Epic Destiny: You gain the benefits of the Epic Destiny(Demigod, Force of Nature, or Eternal Hero) feat without the feat cost.
Human Esprit Starting Package
Skill Selection: Concentration, Autohypnosis, Survival, (Lucid Dreaming/Iaijutsu Focus/Use Magic Device), Listen, Spot.
Feat: Magical Training/Hidden Talent/Shape Soulmeld
Bonus Feats: Practiced Spellcaster/Practiced Manifester/Innate Spell
Gear: <-Starting armor and other equipment outside of weapons.->.
Gold: <-Starting gold using this package.->.
Playing a <-class name->
Religion: <-description of how this class typically (but no exclusively) approaches religion including likely portfolios it would worship->.
Other Classes: <-How this class typically interacts with other classes and how characters of this class interact with characters of other classes->.
Combat: <-Typical role in combat->.
Advancement: <-Typical advancement options for characters with this class. Include desirable multiclass options->.
<-pluralized class name-> in the World
|“||<-Some quote from a character of this class->||”|
|—<-NPC name->, <-race-> <-class->|
<-Where characters of this class fit in a d20 world.->
Daily Life: <-day in the life of a character of this class->.
Notables: <-notable NPCs of this class->.
Organizations: <-info on what, where, when, and how characters of this class congregate and assemble->.
NPC Reactions: <-How NPCs react to PCs of this class->.
<-class name-> Lore
Characters with ranks in <-the appropriate skills-> can research <-pluralized class name-> to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|10||<-not so common knowledge->.|
|20||<-very rare information->.|
<-pluralized class name-> in the Game
<-How characters of this class fit in the game (PC and NPC) and what roles they play.->
Adaptation: <-Possible variant conceptions of this class.->.
Sample Encounter: <-DM placement for NPCs of this class.->.
EL : <-Encounter scenario and character info on sample NPC including stat block. The CR of the NPC is typically the same as the EL for the encounter.->.