Emote (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Emotes love to be noticed. Typically, they dress rather boldly, aspiring to make the statement of "Hey! Look at me!". Often, this style of dressing goes overboard, even to be dressing in sharply contrasting colors.
Emotes have a tendency to be very loud. A typical morning may be met with, song, chants, dances, or whatever else the Emote feels would attract the attention of the sun.
A typical Emote stands roughly 3 3/4 feet tall, slightly taller than their goblin brethren, but weigh the same at roughly 45 pounds. Emotes typically have more vibrant pigmentation to their skin; often being bright green, bright yellow, or bright red. Their physical figure resembles that of a normal goblin, but an Emote rarely hunches over, and often tries to make himself taller than he actually is. After all, he just wants to be noticed.
Emotes are very personable, but also very emotional. They have no problems with anyone based on race (generally), but typical goblins often find Emotes senseless and stubborn, as they prefer to be out in the open where they can be seen and heard, rather than in the shadows where they can remain in stealth.
It is very common for Emotes to become Bards, Jesters, and Marshals. Anything that makes an Emote loud and noticeable to everyone is preferable. It is very uncommon for Emotes to become Rogues, Rangers, or Scouts. They despise being unseen and unheard
Emotes normally stray from lawful alignments, as they dislike being part of a uniformed unit. Most Emotes are of Chaotic alignment, as they want to be noticed, and will often ignore social norms to do so. Most Emotes like to stay in good social standings, and are likely to act in a way to keep it that way. Often, however, Emotes take their natural desire to be known and noticed to a more sinister place. These Emotes often become serial killers, career robbers, and arsonists.
Chaotic Emotes often become Bards or Jesters. The few lawful Emotes may take up the paths of the Knight or Marshal.
Emotes love mountains and hills. Anywhere they can get to that makes them easy to see, Emotes are comfortable. Nonetheless, Emotes do not like staying in one place for lengths of time, as the denizens of the area will likely have seen the Emote often enough that they do not notice their presence anymore. Emotes enjoy traveling to new places in order to show themselves off to new people.
Emotes often revere Fharlanghn, due to his constant traveling and meeting of new people. Some Emotes who devote themselves to good revere Pelor, as he is seen by all, every day.
All Emotes speak Goblin naturally, and learn Common very quickly in order to speak to more people who may take note and appreciate them.
Emotes are given goblin names at birth, but shun them in favor of more vibrant names. They love to decorate their names with vowels, so that others move their mouths more in order to address them. These names also contain several hard consonants in order to make their name seem louder. Often, these names get needlessly complicated, becoming over a dozen characters long with several syllables. Emotes often give friends who see them often permission to shorten their names to one or two syllables, as long as the name sounds loud and important.
Some common Emote names are:
- Male: Kikundrukhe, Dukomazikotynox, Wooxudigrustomakion, Jargudrebalopion
- Female: Salomatikundrasti, Kitumdriopiodreuqi, Wazmeetstustubaxa, Kriibaxtiquitorika
- Androgynous: Sikobaxtritopiko, Maxtifriboniokibola
- +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom: Emotes are highly emotional and have a strong need to be seen. This desire often overtakes sense and reason.
- Humanoid (Goblinoid): Emotes are goblins who prefer to be noticed
- Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
- Emotes' base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-light vision: Emotes spend less time in dark places, and grow apart from their goblin kin's darkvision. The physical tolerance for darkness remains, however.
- +1 Racial bonus on all Perform checks. Emotes' desire to be noticed often takes them to be performers, and their skills in showmanship greatly augment this.
- +2 Racial Bonus on Bluff checks. Emotes often embellish greatly with their words
- Projection (Ex): An Emote's need to be seen and remembered is so great that the lengths they go to to accomplish this. Any opponent within 60 feet who can see and/or hear the Emote takes a -1 penalty on Spot and/or Listen checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Goblin. Bonus Languages: Elven, Giant, Gnome, and Orc. Emotes often learn the languages of those who they may encounter in their travels.
- Favored Class: Bard.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|22 years||35 years||50 years||+4d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 2"||+2d6||20 lb.||× (2) lb.|
|Female||3' 2"||+1d12||18 lb.||× (2) lb.|