Dwarves, Virani (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The dourest of the Shekastkoréan dwarves due to their constant battle with the undead, they are prone to dry, mocking humor and devoit piety to Jord.
Like most dwarves, the Virani dwarf is typically gruff and stoic, but extremely loyal to those who have earned his trust.
Like most of dwarvenkind, a Virani dwarf stands just under 5' tall. Due to spending much of their time underground, they are paler than most of their brethren. Their hair color ranges from light brown to black, and their eyes are usually pale blue to gray.
Any good, but most tend to lean Neutral Good.
They live in and under the central desolate region known as Virani, but can be found in all areas of Shekastkoré.
All speak Common and Dwarven. Most others speak at least one of the following fluently: Halfling, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
Their naming convention follows the naming style found in the Player's Handbook.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
- Humanoid (Dwarf)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, Virani dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Virani dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, Virani dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- Darkvision: Virani dwarves can see in the dark up to 90 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Virani dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants a Virani dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A Virani dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a Virani dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A Virani dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- Bonus Feat: Earth Sense (pg. 138 Races of Stone). This is due to the Virani dwarf's natural affinity with the earth.
- Weapon Familiarity: Virani dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- Stability: A Virani dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against undead and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
- Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass Virani dwarf’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
- Level Adjustment: 0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|125 years||188 years||250 years||+2d6 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 2”||+2d4||130 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||4’ 0”||+2d4||100 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|