Dwarf, Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Hard-working miners and blacksmith, Dwarves are the backbone of the economy of the fey lands.
Dwarves are honest, hard-working, and reliable. They are also considered very grumpy by the other races, though most dwarves will refuse to admit to such accusation. It's hard to earn a dwarf's respect, but once you do, you got yourself one of the most loyal friends you could ever ask for.
Dwarves are naturally dense, broad creatures. They stand between 3` 4`` and 3` 10`` and weight between 60 and 75 lb.
Dwarves have the same range of skin, eye, and hair color as humans, although dwarf skin is sometime grey or terra brown. Male dwarf are often bald and braid their long beard into elaborate patterns. Female dwarves braid their hair to show clan and class. Dwarves often wears earth or stone toned garb, with various shades of brown, grey and green.
Dwarves tend to be neutral good or lawful good. Dwarves are very rarely chaotic.
Dwarves always build their home near a mine they exploit. Usually such are based at the very root of mountains of in deep forests.
Most of them live in the forest of Dughamnon, the mountain of the star and the hills of Sunset. They avoid lands inhabited by humans, they fear those strange, tall creatures.
Dwarves worship and pay their respect to the all loving mother of earth and the spirit of the seasons. Like the elves, they have no true religion, just a grouping of tradition and folklore. You'll never find a temple in a dwarven community. They celebrate their holyday and ceremonies in front of their mines.
Dwarves speak Dwarven and Common. Bonus languages: Giant, Goblin, Elven, Gnomic, Earthen, Gnoll, and Draconic.
Male names: Berterd, Darkain, Balock, Gordan, Deagan, Grulan, Grumpy, Graven, Gaeder.
Female names: Berta, Bria, Baerda, Gwendace, Roza, Kahta, Johwan, Joria, Jann.
Family names: Greystone, Gemlad, Ironbeard, Goldbrow, Redmouth, Smitherer, Minekeeper, Gemcutter, Earthenlad.
- -2 Charisma, +2 constitution. Dwarves are small but very durable and stout.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a dwarf gains no bonus's or penalty's due to there size.
- Dwarf base land speed is 25 feet. Dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
- Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and hill dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a hill dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A hill dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Weapon training: All dwarf are proficient with the Hammer, light, Warhammer, Pick, light ,and Pick, heavy. In addition they receive a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with those weapons.
- +4 racial bonus on all craft checks related to stone and metal, such as weapon making and armor smithing.
- +2 raciall bonus on Appraise, Knowledge (dungeoneering), Disable Device, Open Lock and Search.
- +5 racial bonus on Profession (Miner)
- Automatic Languages: Dwarven and Common. Bonus languages: Giant, Goblin, Elven, Gnomic, Earthen, Gnoll, and Draconic.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level Adjustment:+1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|125 years||188 years||250 years||+2d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 9"||+2d4||130 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||3' 7"||+2d4||100 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|