Cyberminds are subspecies of human and a biotechnological marvel, engineered by gene-splicing of carefully selected subjects, including (but not limited to) people with telepathic psionic powers, Techno Mages, Shadowkind, and Mutants, as well as a few artificially-generated genes. They are not artificial intelligence or synthetic replicas of humankind, but are in fact a real living creature that possess the power of a genetically built-in "supercomputer". In essence, they are a true bio-computer, combining all the wonders (and horrors) of living sentient beings with the methodology and high level of data organization in computers. Not only do they think with the precision and accuracy of a computer while having the nearly unlimited memory space and processing speed of a human mind, but they also have emotions, desires, and hopes. Cyberminds are socially inept, less insightful, somewhat weaker, and clumsier, but nonetheless, they are masters of technology with the unique ability to connect directly, on a mental level, with electronic devices. They look exactly like a normal human to those who cannot see the effects of Shadow, and to those who can see Shadow the only reason they look different from the average human is that there is a barely visible aura of power around them.
- Size: Medium. Cyberminds have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Abilities: -2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Con, +4 Int, -2 Cha
- Analytic Thought: +2 on knowledge, computer use, and research checks. Highly ordered and logical thought patterns exactly like a computer programs data execution routines.
- Digital memory (Ex): A Cybermind can recall any memory they have ever had at will. The GM may require spot checks to notice things such as what someone is writing or that someone is missing, but they can effectively take a 20 by viewing over and over again. A Cybermind Techno Mage may store and access his or her spellfiles mentally.
- Auto-numerate (Ex): Cyberminds can also perform difficult (up to advanced algebra) mathematics in their head with an accuracy of (Int score x2) decimal places.
- Techno-telepath (Ex): A Cybermind has the ability to manipulate electromagnetic pulses in a fashion similar to electronic devices in order to transmit data. This ability is not suppressed by antimagic or antipsionic effects unless they specifically interfere with electronic transmissions and it can also be effected by other effects or items that jam electronic signals. There are two primary ways that techno-telepathy or "technopathy" can be used:
- Mental Interface: As a free action, a Cybermind may detect and mentally connect to any electronic device within 25ft+5ft/two levels. Once connected, the device works exactly as it normally except that all tasks take half the time they normally would and the Cybermind does not have to physically interact with it. For example, a Cybermind could use technopathy to mentally interface with a computer from a distance and not need to use the keyboard or mouse and take half the time to complete a task, including using class abilities through it if they could normally be used through such a device (i.e. like a Techno Mage's “Online Casting” or a Shadowjack ability). A Cybermind can download data from the device directly into his or her brain, allowing a Cybermind to use “skillware” and “featware” similarly to androids and synthetics, to store and access spellfiles in his or her own mind, or to memorize vast amounts of information very rapidly, including audio/visual data. Cyberminds may also upload any of their thoughts, knowledge, or personality, perhaps even their entire mental essence, and some may do this in order to create a backup copy of them that can later be loaded into a robot. For some reason, even if multiple copies were made, only one is usable at a time, which may be related in some way to the fact that such a “reincarnated” ex-Cybermind still retains their techno-telepathic abilities.
- Mental Com-Link: As a full-round action, a Cybermind may attune themselves to radio waves, wireless internet signals, cell phone signals or other similar transmissions. After doing so they may communicate in an appropriate manner, i.e. once connected to a cell phone tower’s signal a Cybermind could mentally place a call. If they accessed a wireless internet network, they would then have access to the internet and could act like a computer to make Computer Use and/or Research checks over the internet, or to Instant Message someone. If a spell, psionic power, or class feature requires the use of a phone line, IM software, or other digital communication, the Cybermind can be used instead, after establishing the appropriate type of com-link (i.e. mentally make a phone call or IM-ing someone). Cyberminds can also use this to telepathically commune with each other. Alternately, a Cybermind can spend five full-rounds discharging so much electromagnetic radiation into the air that no electronic devices or Cyberminds in a stationary 25ft+5ft/two levels area can connect wirelessly to other electronics or Cyberminds 1 hour, creating a Jamming effect.
- Cybernetic Incompatibility: A Cybermind is, for unknown reasons, unable to operate cybernetic attachments, although some theorize it is because being directly immersed into the Cybermind’s bio-electromagnetic field fries the circuits of the cybernetic devices.
- Free Languages: Read/Write Common (or local language), Speak Common (or local language)
- Other Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Base Class: Smart Hero
- Suggested Advanced Classes: Shadowjack, Techie, Techno Mage, Technosavant
- Suggested Prestige Class: Artificer
Table: Cybermind Random Starting Ages
Table: Cybermind Aging Effects
Table: Cybermind Random Height and Weight
||× (1d4) lb.
||× (1d4) lb.
Back to Main Page → D20 Modern → Races