Chain Fighter (5e Subclass)
From D&D Wiki
Many would laugh and mock at the idea of a fighter who is specialized in combat with chains, but you were amazed and decided to become that fighter. In your journey, you became quite the honorary combatant and learned everything you needed in order to wield the chains. You know better than anyone what chains are able to do in the right hands.
At 3rd level, you can perform a ritual to attune up to two chains. To perform the ritual, you must spent over 1 hour, holding the chain, it can be done during a short rest. Once you have attuned a chain to yourself, they work as a martial weapon (similar to a whip) dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage (properties: light, reach, 10 feet, and finesse), and you can’t be disarmed of that chain unless you are incapacitated.
The bond ceases if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a third chain, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it.
At 3rd level, you can use your attuned chain(s) to grapple or disarm a foe (as described in PHB). Also, instead of a Strength (Athletics) check, you may choose to do a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check.
You have an advantage in attack rolls against enemies that are grappled by your chain and you can use a bonus action to knock them prone.
At 3rd level, you are connected with your chains, allowing you to do Maneuvers. To use Maneuvers you roll strength or dexterity checks.
The Maneuvers are listed at the end of the post.
At 7th level, your attuned chain(s) can have up to 15 feet (reach property expands to 15 feet) and you can use a bonus action to create small razors all over the chain for 4 turns. While using this feature, your attacks deal extra 1d4 slashing damage. You can use this ability twice per long rest.
At 10th level, you can use an action to spring up your chains around you and count as a medium armor with an ac bonus 10 plus 6 per chain. You gain proficiency in medium armor, you cannot attack with the chain(s) that you are using as Chain Armor, although you deal 1d4+your strength/dexterity bludgeoning and can summon razors out of the chains. With the razor feat in effect, if an enemy attacks you, they are dealt 1d6 and disadvantage. You also deal an extra 1d4 slashing damage. If you fall unconscious, it gives you resistance to all damage, you can drop this chain or use one bonus action to dismiss it. It lasts up to 1 hour.
At 15th level, you completely understand the art of the chains. Now, the chains do an additional 2d6 bludgeoning damage.
- Throwback Grapple: you can grapple an enemy that attacks you as a reaction using your attuned chain(s). Perform a strength or dexterity check, on a failed check you lose any advantage you had previously, but on a successful check, you grapple the enemy and deal 1d6 damage + your strength or dexterity modifier(whichever att. you used to perform the check). You have an advantage in this Grappling test.
- Protector: you can help an ally within the extension of your attuned chain(s) that is being attacked as a reaction. Your ally gains, to that specific attack, a bonus to its AC equal to your dexterity modifier.
- Hold Tight: you can hold even tighter an enemy that’s already grappled by your attuned chain(s) as a bonus action. Instead of Grappled, it’s now Restrained. It can still try to escape. This Maneuver needs concentration. Same rules that apply to 'Grapple' apply to this feat.
- Chain of Imprisonment: you can throw your chain (5 feet/15 feet) over a target as an action. If you hit, they grapple your target to the floor right below it, applying the Grappled effect. If you miss, the chain goes back in your hand and you lose advantage or gain disadvantage of saving throws.
- Chain Hanging: you can hang a Grappled/Restrained target as an action. The creature that’s being hanged loses 1d6 HP per turn and can do nothing but try to escape from the grapple.
- Dark Chain: you can change your chain's damage to necrotic damage. This Maneuver lasts for 4 turns. The chains become dark. You can only do this once per day.
- Slash Dome: Can only be used after level 15th. You can spend 2 CP per chain to use Chain Razor together with Chain Armor for 1 minute. You deal 2d6 slashing damage per chain to any creature that enters or ends its turn in a 5 foot-radius from you.